Camping-Survival Knife

Hi,
New here, new to SOG, and somewhat new to camping...
Newly divorced and want to get the kids outdoors. Looking for a knife for camping and basic survival/defense.
I've been checking out:
Seal
Seal Elite Pup
Bowie Tech
Anyone have input? The pup seems a bit small for defense, the Bowie tech a bit expensive.
Any thoughts?

A buddy of mine had the Seal Pup (standard model) when I was in the Army - he loved it - and he recently told me that he was in a pinch to get a HEMMIT (big 8 wheeled tactical truck) tire off of a rim (500lbs tire on rim) - anyways, he told me that he ended up cutting the tire off of the rim in about 30 minutes with no damage to the knife. Thats a pretty impressive task if you ask me! Personally, I'd go w/ the Seal knife if I were to go w/ a SOG. Hope that gives you some confidence though.

Seal's drawback is weight.
- Just too large and visible.
- Sure the weight would make chopping easier, but who's cutting down trees these days?
Seal Pup Elite fits the bill.
- Small's good (easily stored away till you "need it most")
- Doesn't draw attention from either the kids, park rangers or sneeky marauders.
SOG Tech Bowie looks more an SD knife than "basic camp purposes"
- Nice fighter.
- But I never did appreciate kraton handles (not the toughest material, besides its heat sensitive)
And finally,
you could add a machette just in case you loose that SOG you're intending to buy.

If you are set on SOG, I would have to second the seal 2000, and add that I also really like the revolver for a camp knife. The X-42 Field knife is a sweet piece if you can find one somewhere, and the field pup is a good all around choice. Since this is the sog forum, I will refrain from non sog alternatives unless asked.

i`ve got a busse heavy heart coming , might make my seal 2000 redundant.

Get a decent custom knife. I do not believe the story about cutting the tire off of a Hemmit truck, there is no way he could get through the steel belts or the steel cable that is in the rim bead much less do it in that time and without damage to that knife.

For camping look at the N.W. ranger or the Revolver. In my experience choose a camping knife on it's abilities for camping not for defence.

Camping like car camping or camping like overnight or multi-day hiking?

Car camping you might as well have a kitchen knife and a hatchet for splitting store-bought firewood.

For hiking, the SEAL Pup would work, but the Field Pup is a little smaller, lighter and a better general purpose knife. An SAK (Swiss Army Knife) makes a good combo with a larger blade. I'll wager you use the SAK more than the larger blade.

Self defense? Unless you have the training, it's more show and threat than anything. Any fixed blade is going to make you more of a threat and they will all cut. The chances of getting into true hand to hand combat are small.

The only reason I can see for hauling a larger blade while hiking is for true survival situations-- making a shelter and firewood. For most hiking areas that isn't allowed unless you have an emergency. You'll be cooking with a stove and practicing "leave-no-trace" techniques.

Other fixed-blade knives to look at:
Moras
Ontario RAT-3
Becker Necker
Entrek Javalina

Folding blades:
Benchmade Griptilian
SAK Trekker

Folding saws are worth a look too. Not a bad item for your car survival kit. A small hatchet is good for car camping and makes a formidable self-defense tool.

Just wondering, wouldn't the false edge on most of the SOG knives make them impractical for using with a baton?

17Chap

Camping like car camping or camping like overnight or multi-day hiking?

Multi-day hike... and some car camping. While not realistic, I'm probably more concerned about self dense from animals (cats/bears) than people.
Paul

I have a Seal Pup Elite (plain edge) that I like. It is my standard woods knife now except when I'm hunting. Get it with the nylon sheath and slip a 111 mm SAK of your choice into the pocket for woods use. The Elite is big enough for most camp tasks. It is not big enough as a chopper though. Get an axe for that! Car camping, I always carried an axe and a saw for cutting big stuff for the fire.

You might consider getting a 12" Ontario machete too. They make cheap and good general purpose knives around the camp site or in the woods. You can get inexpensive sheaths for them at Smokey Mt. Knife Works.

Great Post, Robbie! Great pictures. I guess that answers my question about the baton.

Chap

I should look at the For Sale section more often... but every time i go there... the knives have already been bought!!!

Back