Camping-Survival Knife

Just wondering, wouldn't the false edge on most of the SOG knives make them impractical for using with a baton?

17Chap

I can baton just fine with my Ka-Bar USMC even with a sharpened false edge. The thick saber grind really makes it split well. You just have ot be careful, and if the wood is too thick to leave any blunt spine open, you can just pound the knife down flush then gently pick up the wood with the knife and swing it into something hard like the top of a stump or root.

My take on the SEAL pup as a camping knife. Seems to be a recurring topic.

Vaako, I checked out the link and I have to agree with you that for a good camp knife, this SEAL pup is a good pick.

It seems to have the correct length to reach to the bottom of a peanut butter jar and as you are talking about going camping with kids, this is an important concideration.

I like the way it's not a folder.
A folder is good for EDC but for a cooking/camp knife I like a knife that always is out and ready to go. I never liked folders for cooking as they tempt us to get put away dirty....

Yes, the SEAL pup seems like a good camp knife pick.

You've nailed it, Alan! :)

...the correct length to reach to the bottom of a peanut butter jar.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You're going to be using the knife for a lot more mundane tasks than you will "survival shelter building" or as a weapon.

If it's a plastic peanut butter jar, you won't have any trouble cutting it apart with the classic SEAL pup. That's why I like the smooth back on the SEAL pup classic, the blade won't jam up going through things like peanut butter jars! :D

I have a seal pup I was thinking about using it as a camp/survival knife it seems like it would do the job it does have a slightlhy more tactical feel than I'm used to I'm curious how it will take to batoning and cleaning fish, small gmae and other duties any feed back is welcome.. All the reviews I read on this knife before buying it were stellar but I find that it does not seem to be regarded that highly here on the forum, I was curious as to why?? I was also interested in obtaining info On the edge retention of this knife and good shaprening techniques, Thanks

Back