1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can I get a quickie education on the new Umnumzaan?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by CrimsonTideShooter, Dec 12, 2011.

1. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    Heard talk of a LBS being added to this model, but after searching I found nothing concrete. I already have a pre disc model, but I'm asking for another Umnum for Xmas from the fiancee.

Are all of the current production umnums coming with lock bar stabilizers now? Any more changes to note? Thanks guys.

2. Toyz

Toyz

Nov 2, 2006
    Copied from a recent thread - comments from Anne Reeve:

"Those who have followed the nearly 25 years that the Sebenza has been around know we continually make small improvements, alterations, advances to our knives. None of these changes are made to follow a trend, to keep up with the Jones or to tick off our customers. They are done to improve performance, safety or production. That we make a change to the Umnumzaan should not come as a surprise.

The disc has been added to the Umnumzaan to prevent the reduction of tension on the lock. Because the shape of the Umnumzaan handle is a little different than that of the Sebenza, it takes a different technique to open and close. We have found some customers are not willing to learn the difference or perhaps they don’t recognize the difference but, whatever the reason, they think it is necessary to modify the lock tension, thinking the knife will open more easily. This simply makes the knife unsafe. We have had several Umnumzaans returned to us because of lock issues – almost always the customer denies having modified the lock. We can see what has been done, and are put between a rock and a hard place as we don’t want to call out the customer for not telling the truth. The disc is a solution to prevent potentially unsafe modifications.

Please note this disc is not a lock stabilizer as it has been called in some posts. It is simply in place to prevent the lock bar from being pushed out to reduce tension. Our locks are fitted properly to very close tolerances and do not need to be stabilized. And to save further speculation, the disc is press fit into the handle. It is made of 303 stainless steel, and is sandblasted along with the rest of the handle. Because it is not titanium, the sandblasted finish looks different.

Will it change further? Quite possibly. What might these changes be? No idea at this time.

It will be a while before you see Umnumzaans other than the Wilson Startac with this disc. This has to do with our on-hand inventory of machined handles.

We are not planning to add the lock override protection disc to the Sebenza. We do not have the issue of lock modification by customers to the same degree as we do with the Umnumzaan.

Before the question is asked here is a quick reminder of the difference in how to open an Umnumzaan and a Sebenza.
    Umnumzaan: slide your thumb straight forward, parallel with the handle, pushing the lug with the top center of your thumb.
    Sebenza: push the lug out sideways in a sweeping motion with the side of your thumb.

Since there has been renewed discussion about Idaho Made in this thread, you might find it interesting to note that since March this year, the value of our back orders has almost quadrupled. This would indicate there are not too many concerns about the Idaho Made marking.

We appreciate your loyalty and enthusiastic conversation. We know we can't please all of the people all of the time!

Anne"

3. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    Thank you! I must say, I am not too excited about this improvement, especially since it is due to the ignorance of a few.

But, it sounds like getting my hands on a pre-disc umnum won't be so hard - at least for a little while.

4. Toyz

Toyz

Nov 2, 2006
    No problem.

Check out Wilson Combat website for the startac umnumzaan - the photos show what the lock stop looks like. Click on "additional images" once you get to the page.

5. Fferrell1

Fferrell1

Feb 5, 2011
    You'd better marry that girl fast bro...

6. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

May 25, 2009
    Anyone know how long we have before the ugly clock runs out and we're stuck with disced Umnums?

7. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    I'm not sure on that, been wondering myself. I have been picking up as many S30 Umnums as i can though:)

8. edlex

edlex

Jul 8, 2007
    I'm glad I got mine early this year. That is one ugly addition to what I consider the perfect knife. Non functional as a stabilizer and not titanium to boot!

9. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    So, for a recap, how many versions of the Umnumzaan have there been? I think I recall a change from the first production version before the addition of the disk over the lockbar...?

10. edlex

edlex

Jul 8, 2007
    I thought the only changes have been the blade steel and the Idaho stamp?

11. ableman

ableman

Oct 7, 2011
    Damn, I wish I had seen the Anne's post before my thumb almost fell off trying to get the zann action to figured out. I found myself doing what the other numb skulls were doing in an effort of trying to ease the tension on the lock bar:( Fortunately I came to my senses and didn't FUBAR the knife. After I got some Reeve Grease, adjusted the pivot, and got my opening technic down (after about a week and a half) it opens almost like my regular Sebenza, "like butter." :D

12. brandnewcolony

brandnewcolony Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Arrived today, wish the LBS was Ti and machined to match the grooves in the handle.
    [​IMG]

13. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Did a little quick digging and found: change in Rc range for S30V blades; change to S35VN blade; changes in lockbar access cutout during S30V production; addition of LBS; various changes in markings (including Idaho Made, but there were some others). Glad I am not trying to collect 'em! :D

14. snowreaper1

snowreaper1 Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2010
    Nice brandnewcolony, I think that's the first regular production umnumzann with the lbs added I've seen.
    I honestly think its not that big of a deal aesthetically and if it serves a purpose then its fine by me.

15. brandnewcolony

brandnewcolony Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks snowreaper, I would have to agree with you, it def works. Just thought the design was much cleaner before YMMV.

16. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010

It doesn't bother me all that much either. I figured it would stand out terribly, but it's not bad at all to my eyes. :)

17. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    I don't think it looks particularly bad, but it doesn't look particularly good eaither. I still find it hard to accept that this was the best CRK could come up with.

18. kawr

kawr

Jun 22, 2010
    It's hideous and looks like some 12 year old slapped that thing on as an after thought. Either use titanium to match the color identically with the rest of the titanium scale or just keep the stainless steel lbs but make it nice and polished like the rest of the screws. I'm glad I still have plenty of time to save up enough to grab an Umnumzaan without the lbs.

19. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    How does this not fall under the category of a lock-bar stabilizer???

20. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    It only stops the lock bar being over extended, it doesn't stop movement in any other direction so technically it's not a stabiliser but it's thin line to draw. That also raises the question of why it was put so close to the lock face. It could have easily been placed under the clip in a more central or hidden position and still performed the same function. I can actually think of several things I would have done differently, but I don't work for CRK and have several Umnumzaans already so it's none of my concern. :p