Can I use your knife?

Hummmm... I am still a newbie here thus forgive me for a newbie question.
Chris reeve knives are not to be flicked like a spyderco?

You can't flick a new Sebenza, the tension of the lock bar on the tang is strong enough to prevent flicking open from the fully closed postion...or at least mine is and its 4 years old. CRK has said that sebenzas were made to be opened with the stud and consistent hard flicking is not part of its designed function.

I have a friend with a nice boat he rarely takes out for fear of getting it dirty. When he does take it out, his constant obsessing takes all the fun out of it for anyone with him.
Sure my friends can borrow my knife in my presence. I certainly will be watching to see my very expensive tool is not used incorrectly but it is a tool and will be used as such. I'm not overly concerned with a scratch or occasional flick. If I was I wouldn't carry it and it would bring me little pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned a long time ago, if a person doesn't have a pocket knife of his own, he probably doesn't know how to properly use one, or appreciate a sharp edge.

Had someone helping me plant trees. We had to trim the burlap, I let him use my sebenza, he did OK until he ran the cut up to the wire basket. He started trying to saw cut through the wire. I just bust out laughing, telling him how fu@** stupid can you be !!!

Out of curiosity, which particular person here said they don't use their knife?
Loaning out tools or anything for that matter, no matter the cost, is a highly personal choice..
I have loaned out tools before that have been handed back to me broken. One of them was a .0005 test indicator to the night shift at my previous job. When I came into work the next morning, it was in pieces with a note; "Sorry Bill, I found your indicator this way"
Riiight..I left it in my box, in one piece functioning correctly and now I get to replace it because someone can't take personal responsibility for their choices.
Really, I can imagine someone snapping the tip off of my knife, which isn't cheap, to do a job a $5.00 screwdriver should have been used for and handing it back and saying "Sorry" or worse yet, not saying anything.

Like I said..It's a highly personal choice.

That would be why I only kept my crappy tools in my tool box at work.. been a few times someone would use it and put it back in the box broken or mangled. and when you find out who used it, they're common reply is "um.. sorry" moving on.. ultimately towards the end I took my tool box home. the shop was getting more use out of it than I was.

That would be why I only kept my crappy tools in my tool box at work.. been a few times someone would use it and put it back in the box broken or mangled. and when you find out who used it, they're common reply is "um.. sorry" moving on.. ultimately towards the end I took my tool box home. the shop was getting more use out of it than I was.

I got much use out of your toolbox, but then again, a wise person told me that the tools of the trade were the livelihood that brought in the bread..

In case anyone is wondering, eksinger was my mentor many years ago when we worked together..We have both moved on to bigger and better things.

This DOES NOT happen in shops I am in the employ of.

The first request goes something like "HEY!......You got a 3mm hexagonal funorden reducer?" to which the reply is always "I have a full selection of mechanics tools"

The question either becomes "can you help me do this thing I have no clue how to do even if I had the proper tools".......or they walk away and are very courteous and use proper grammar on subsequent requests for tools/help.

The other scenario where someone else's hand is in my toolbox......that gets resolved the first time when I slam the drawer in their hand and politely ask "Can I f@ck!ng help you?" there's never a second occurence.

I've got $70,000+ tool inventory. If you don't have the tools. To do the job I'll happily do it for you and take the pay.

Last edited:
No, you cannot borrow my beautiful knife.
And...
No, you cannot borrow my beautiful wife! 😁
But...
You can borrow my cheap knife!
And..
No, I do not have a second wife!

Was that haiku?

I'd say no even if all I had was a $15 junk folder. I carried a great little Gerber Bolt-Action for over a decade until a friend "borrowed" it for a moment. When I pointed out he had bent the tip 15 degrees off true, he shrugged and said, "Sorry."

If someone needs something cut, I'll offer to cut/open it for them but I will not let them trash another knife doing things a knife is not designed for.

I'll also note that some people will ask to borrow a tool for a wholly inappropriate use then look surprised when you point out a knife is for cutting, not prying, unscrewing, etc. . . .

I'd say no even if all I had was a $15 junk folder. I carried a great little Gerber Bolt-Action for over a decade until a friend "borrowed" it for a moment. When I pointed out he had bent the tip 15 degrees off true, he shrugged and said, "Sorry."

If someone needs something cut, I'll offer to cut/open it for them but I will not let them trash another knife doing things a knife is not designed for.

I'll also note that some people will ask to borrow a tool for a wholly inappropriate use then look surprised when you point out a knife is for cutting, not prying, unscrewing, etc. . . .

This is how I handle and generally see the matter. Whatever the value of my knife may be, it is mine to appreciate and use. I enjoy using it, even to help someone out, but I will always be the one to use it and do the cutting when asked.

I'd just say "Let me do it."
Like when someone asks to borrow my truck.
As much as I hate helping people move, there's no way in hell I'm letting someone borrow my truck.
Just like there's no way in hell I'd let a friend cut a hook out of a turtle's mouth or my kid dig around in a vending machine with my CRK.

...let..kid dig around in a vending machine with my CRK.

LOL, Holy crap. I missed that anecdote.

My kid knows better anyway. Hes got his own knives and knows they are cutting tools. Id probably throw his out if I saw that. :eek:

I let anyone use my sebenza (people I know) since they know how important my stuff is. I wouldn't care too much if they chipped it or broke the tip, i have spares.

I'll let anyone I know reasonably well borrow my knife. I do not care if they chip the edge, I'm also not too bothered by a light scratch either.
The only thing I be mad about is if they pry with the blade. Prying is NOT a cutting task, and I tell anyone who borrows it, not to put lateral force on the blade.
I will loan my knife out for any cutting task, because after all its a tool, and I carry my knife to use it.

I deny having a knife all the time. I'm not in the business of being strangers' or even acquaintances' personal toolboxes.

I just tell folks "There's no way in hell you're using my CRK", when they give that "you dirty S.O.B. look" I hand them a Strider to use.
I've done this a couple of times. Strider DB is not a knife I worry about being abused.
No one borrows my knife. No one. Don't care if it's a cadet or a CRK. No one. Even my kid's don't ask, they just say "can you cut this for me". My reasoning is simple. If they cared about knives and knew how to use them correctly, they would have their own.

I've adopted this attitude lately, esp after someone tried to 'lose' my DB.
Rule 9 should apply to everyone.

Back