1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic Can it be traditional ? ( Stonewashed or bright satin stone tumble )

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I don't think it's a very old process for knives, so would it disqualify an otherwise traditional blade ?

Say a stainless case stockman or sodbuster had such a blade finish, is it still traditional ?

I ask because I'm contemplating taking this " borderline " knife over into the traditional category, but if the blade finish still disqualifies it then I'll forget it.
    [​IMG]

2. WinchesteRalox

WinchesteRalox

Mar 26, 2018
    I don’t know if people are considering the knives like Lionsteel makes as traditional I don’t think that a certain blade finish shouldn’t be considered as traditional.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I agree. JE Made, lionsteel are two I know using stone washed finish. I don’t think that disqualifies a knife any more than carbon fiber and titanium would.

4. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Custom makers etch and finish blades in different ways. I'm not a moderator, but I've been here long enough to bet pretty confidently that you're not going to get even a warning for showing a stonewashed blade. As long as it's a slip joint, lock back, or traditional (read: not Walker) liner lock, without a pocket clip, and the handle doesn't look tactical with glass breakers and spiked finger guards, you're probably fine.

JTB_5 and WinchesteRalox like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That makes sense.
    The knife I've got is a Gerber US1 with a frame that's a tad too modern, and I'm thinking about changing that.

JTB_5 likes this.
  6. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    In my opinion, you aren't showing enough of the knife to know if it is traditional since it is the pattern (blade/blades and handle shape) that make a knife traditional. What pattern is it?

Is "stone tumble" that much different than tumble polishing? Case tumble polishes. It's not important imho. The pattern is what makes a knife traditional or not to me. That's just my own opinion.

7. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I just looked up the knife, and you're right - it looks like a modernized Buck folding hunter style knife. What sort of modification are you considering?

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The knife is a Gerber US1 which is a thin 3-1/4" closed lockback, the frn frame is a non traditional shape and has a rubber overmould with a spider web looking grip pattern.

I think the blade is pretty traditional, and am contemplating making a more traditional shaped frame for it.

9. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    As is the US1 has a modern design but make a traditional handle shape for it and then it would traditional imo. I doubt anyone would have a problem with the blade finish. If they did, we'd have to start banning the sanded and buffed antique knives from Ebay... actually banning those knives might be okay with me. j/k ;) :p :D

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm not sure, I could cut out some sort of panels to make a frame for it of a more traditional shape.

11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I absolutely agree.

12. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Just a general comment here. When you're not sure it can always be posted in Modern Traditionals....;). If that knife shows up in the EDC thread it's not going to cause a problem, but we've been seeing a lot of what might be called borderline traditional slip joints showing up in dedicated threads. I think that knife, as is, fits that category.

I think @supratentorial said it well. It's more about the pattern then the blade steel or finish.

To answer your specific question @Hickory n steel, if you put that blade on a more traditional frame I don't see the blade being a disqualifier.

13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Maybe I will just stick to posting this in modern traditionals along with my little Buck 283 and 425, brbecau Im not sure I can make the modification to this knife a reality.

14. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Why not just enjoy that obviously modern knife for what is, and post it in General? Not singling anyone out, but personally I am getting absolutely sick of the deluge of modern knives being posted in Traditional recently. There's just thread after thread after thread :thumbsdown:

meako, JohnDF and kvaughn like this.
  15. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

Can someone tell me if this knife is traditional? :D:D:D

(it's a reproduction Aztec knife, and yes, I'm just being a turd)

16. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    What he said!--KV

17. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I guess I look at traditionals as more be the design and the way they function ... the knife patterns ... I wouldn't think the blades finish would qualify or disqualify a knife ... some may hold a "traditional" to other standards ... I know a few old timers that don't consider anything stainless traditional

18. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    It seems the protocol to ask to which category a knife belongs is to start in GKD. If you think something could be on the fence, like that guy who asked about the CRK slip joint, don't ask here. There are specific rules about what is traditional.

19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I completely understand and agree, too many are fully on display in people's pictures. ( I've been guilty )

Since the modern asthetic of this knife is really the only thing I don't like about it, I think I will just learn to appreciate it for it's function and forget about it's apearance. I know it doesn't make the cut, so I'll just leave it as is and keep it off the porch.

meako likes this.
  20. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks, tastes vary, and many of us like and appreciate folders of contemporary design, as well as traditional ones. There's no reason why folks have to limit themselves to posting in one forum, a lot of years ago I used to post in Prac-Tac, (as did Carl)! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup: