Can someone tell me about the BUCK 703?

I stumbled on this forum looking for information on my 703. Don't know if it's still active.

I bought mine back in '79 and have carried it almost every day since. No problems at all with the springs. The main blade is a little narrower and shorter because of the number of times I've sharpened it over the past 34 years, but it's still a trusty friend.

Gentlemen, thank you all for the info. Going through and old box I found a 703 with 440C and the Old English lettering in great condition. No box or papers I guess I’ll put this one in the safe.

Gentlemen, thank you all for the info. Going through and old box I found a 703 with 440C and the Old English lettering in great condition. No box or papers I guess I’ll put this one in the safe.

Apparently, you didn't notice this thread was started 10 years ago and the last post was 5 years ago. Start a new thread and go from there...

I did in fact notice the time stamps on this thread... just wanted to express my appreciation for the good information. Everyone on this thread had something useful to read, except for you. Thank for playing forum police!

You came to learn. No need to be a growling bear, 95. Forum etiquette...resurrecting an old thread is frowned on. Sassafrassdogs3 was trying to guide you so you didn't get crosswise with the moderators. You haven't been around long enough to be calling folks on the carpet for this type of thing. Preston

You came to learn. No need to be a growling bear, 95. Forum etiquette...resurrecting an old thread is frowned on. Sassafrassdogs3 was trying to guide you so you didn't get crosswise with the moderators. You haven't been around long enough to be calling folks on the carpet for this type of thing. Preston
I didn't care for the tone of the thread, and to be honest I don't particularity care for the tone of yours. There's a way to advise people on forum etiquette and this isn't it. Why don't you let the moderators moderate and don't hassle a person for saying "thank you."

I didn't care for the tone of the thread, and to be honest I don't particularity care for the tone of yours. There's a way to advise people on forum etiquette and this isn't it. Why don't you let the moderators moderate and don't hassle a person for saying "thank you."

We were trying to help you, but if you want a moderator to slap you around I'm sure they'll oblige you if you keep your nasty attitude...

There is also a way to respond to what someone says to you and what you said, isn't it? Most of these people you're Thanking aren't even participants as much as they were.

You have insulted two Gold members of this forum and you have been a member for a whole 6 months, Maybe it's you that ought to change your attitude?

All we were suggesting is to start a new thread and people would be helpful with your question...

I will only chastise you for not posting a picture Behr. Otherwise I could care less if you open all the old threads you want. Free the voices of the past! If I go first, keep me alive buddy!

I will only chastise you for not posting a picture Behr. Otherwise I could care less if you open all the old threads you want. Free the voices of the past! If I go first, keep me alive buddy!

The main problem I see with the old threads is that person may not be alive any longer. I know some think it's keeping that person alive but too some people it may be hard to see what that person has said especially if they became friends on this forum. Some people will see when this originally started and won't participate because of that...That's all...

The main problem I see with the old threads is that person may not be alive any longer. I know some think it's keeping that person alive but too some people it may be hard to see what that person has said especially if they became friends on this forum. Some people will see when this originally started and won't participate because of that...That's all...
I understand. But are we really respecting the wishes of those gone or just those left behind? We must all go some day, sadly. I'm sure we have all experienced the pain of loss too. I want to be remembered though, here in this little knife world with words and pictures! And the knowledge (what little I can offer) I want to be mulled over for years to come.

Hey, the 2018 poster got his info. Folks gave it a shot at talking about old threads, sounds like everything trying to work right. I have two issues with really old threads.

1. For a while my main old thread issue was loss of PhotoBucket support. I guess we have the old photos back . I am not up on PB so still assume my free spot is working. I have saved my files but have not placed them on my computer where I can search them as photos. Now am working on putting them in another provider.

I worry with ANY photo provider going over a cliff and doing that to threads once more. I would ask you guys who have figured out using Blade Forums to host your photos, please take the lead in teaching new people to post photos.

2. Sometimes when old threads are brought forward it drags along multiple pages of old text and with the loss of folks and photos you may get someone else to answer the new OP and they think the old person is stuck up. Not so , just slipped away. Gosh, I hate to say this but sometimes old info was not correct. I will admit to this myself.

Rusty would tell you to be careful buying a really old 700 unless you can see the spring is not cracked in a photo or in hand. I do know that some folks really like the 700s and even prefer them over the 300s. Can you imagine that...... Rusty has given most of collection and display to a young man that has attended the Blade Show for a number of years. When you see them both in Idaho mention the great attitude and example he is passing on for the younger generation to follow. On second thought 'all' of us to follow.

Last edited:
When the model 703 first came out(1979) there were problems with the spacer bar. Later that was worked out and the subsequent models have been fine. I wonder if any had 440C blades. DM

You guys are going to laugh, I did a 700 steel search...….David said, back when Heck was a pup, that "early 700s were likely 440A and/or 425M." I thought it was funny, but realized he was asking the same question now as he did back then. Does anyone know if any 700s were 440C. 300

This model was supposedly made at Buck's New plant in El Cajon. IN 1979 Buck was still using 440C. Sometime in 1981 Buck
had switched to 425M. Perhaps in some collectors mind it is clear. But in my mind I am not certain that this model ever got 440C blades. There was talk the blades would be of Swedish steel but not verified. DM

I only own one of the Buck 700 series, this 703; while it's a nicely made knife it always felt a bit clunky to me so I never bought another from the series. As to old threads, there is a ton of information buried in these old threads - I learn from them just like I learn from books written by long deceased authors. OH
Buck_703.JPG

Your Colt came out in Dec. 1979. Then the Mustang, Pony & Yearling in 1981. To me that is a handsome knife. Plus, it's features
make for a upper grade model. One of the few models that got the old English stamp. DM

Last edited:
I only own one of the Buck 700 series, this 703; while it's a nicely made knife it always felt a bit clunky to me so I never bought another from the series. As to old threads, there is a ton of information buried in these old threads - I learn from them just like I learn from books written by long deceased authors. OH
Buck_703.JPG

I agree with the old threads containing lots of information. It's just starting them up again? I don't know maybe I'm wrong, just my opinion...

Nice knife!!!

Back