Can you help a girl out? :)

Just shoot me an email.

Btw, this here thread might be mighty interesting for you as well:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586709
Any armor (e.g. leather) that can be penetrated by a stab can be penetrated by throwing. My hands on experience in throwing has proven, that I can get much deeper sticks with throwing a knife correctly, than I can when stabbing the same target.

You might also want to look at:
http://de.youtube.com/user/mumyouan
http://de.youtube.com/user/HouzanSuzuki

...to get a glimpse of no-spin throwing.

I don't think it is impossible to throw and hit a moving target in a fight, although it would require lots of training and experience to find out how to lead the target while aiming. Experience also not only in throwing and hitting, but also in setting up your target. (sucker strike)
Multiple throws would also help - first throw to stagger the opponent, second throw while bringing some distance between herself and the target, third throw aimed at opening created by second throw.

If one could dodge anything thrown, dogeball would be impossible (and a knife flies faster, and is less visible than a ball). In combat the two opponents are relatively close up, which also impedes the (complete) evasion of a thrown knife.

E.g. when the opponent is charging and therefore committed to a certain movement (for a certain amount of time) he would be fair game. Try running and suddenly changing directions 90 degrees - you will not be able to do this in a fluid motion, you will first have to decrease speed (come to a near stop) and only then you will be able to change directions. Or you run a semi-circle, which is almost as good for the thrower. (You can even try this out with a friend who throws balls at you, while you try to charge him)

The best choice for above techniques, would be shuriken. Maybe 5" long, 3/8" thick, squarish. These should pack a punch and would be concealable in a greater number. Your heroine would certainly also need a melee weapon, maybe a dagger or something, since the small throwing knives are probably not good for a one-shot kill, but rather to tenderize the target. :D

Another option is to get the target caught in a 'catch 22'. Throw the knife so that he has the option of either getting hit or placing himself in a position where he can be hit (possibly fatally hit) by the melee weapon. Also, when the target is in a position where he cannot dodge, like a narrow alley or when cornered.

Something less concealable like the Cold Steel True Flight Thrower can certainly kill - not instantly, but on the first throw. ;)

Visibility is also a factor It should be relatively hard to dodge a knife that is invisible through low light, fog, smokebombs, etc.

Well so much for now. I hope I helped your fantasy along a bit. :D

Ookami

PS: another weapon to consider are throwing stars. Takes the whole distance-guessing thing out of the equation. 4 to 6 spikes/star are the optimum.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to say
Houzan Susuki is a great person to base off of for a characters capabilties because it seems out of this world, but he is real skill. Shuriken no spin throwing doesnt' matter on distance or number of spins to much to calculate.

Also check out the russian wave style or fedin style used in Russia began because people can't own large knives they learned to throw small kitchen knives no spin.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zabaksmers

I think it would be cool if she had 3 or 4 small daggers in her hair holding her bun in place.

Last edited:
BINGO - shuriken or daggers in her hair are the ticket. Cheers, nikoknife. They could be big, too - an average chopstick is 10 to 12".

Upon drawing the weapons, she is in the throwing posture (unlike a thigh, boot, or hip carry).

You could have a scene where an opponent demands that she 'put her hands up.' With her hands in the air, she is only 6" from one of her weapons.

Ok guys - this is fiction so a bit of poetic license is allowed. I've seen video's of shuriken darts being thrown accurately and for considerable distances. Certainly the effectiveness of a small concealed thrower is more realistic than someone being hit by a double load of buckshot flying 15' backwards

If frictionwriter can still find any of Charteris' s early books on "The Saint" she might be able to adapt some ideas. The early Saint character had 2 - one on a wrist and the other on the ankle if I recall. He used them to cut himself free when tied up and also to disarm/incapacitate rather than kill. Got him out of sticky situations a few times. He even had pet names for them - lost one in a later story and always mourned its loss

I'd love to see the heroine using Cold Steel's UrbanDart. No idea how it works as a thrower but man is it ever a wicked looking piece of work - can also be used in the punch dagger grip so ideal for covert kidney piercing - and if heroine wears it as a neck knife - well I'll leave that one to your imagination ;)

A Thrown knife can and will kill every time if done if done in the art of (u-sneaky-sob). More commonly reffered to as throw it when they can't see you, works hunting

"Contrary to the dramatic lethal effects of thrown shuriken seen in the martial arts film fantasies that now often include a few ninja for suspense of terror, the shuriken was never historically a weapon of instant death. The small blades rarely had points long enough to achieve a deep enough penetration to reach the heart, nor enough heft to burrow their way through the think bone slabs of the skull. Instead, the shuriken was used as a weapon of distraction or harassment, cutting and injuring, and thereby causing hesitancy in the intentions of attackers facing the ninja."
Taken from page 131 of "The Mystic Arts of the Ninja" by Stephen K. Hayes. Ironically, I have this book and the chapter came to mind. Take it for what it's worth.

She could kill with a throwing Spike, i know it's not a knife, but they are heavy and easly concealed, of course it wouldnt be a quick death but it would help her if she threw it and then sprinted forward to finish the kill...(I'm tryin to think as a fiction writer here) Anway, something to that effect. Also FictionWriter, try reading the anita blake series, it has some stuff like that with a female hero.

anymore questions email Merxblade@gmail.com

Merx..

She could kill with a throwing Spike, i know it's not a knife, but they are heavy and easly concealed, of course it wouldnt be a quick death but it would help her if she threw it and then sprinted forward to finish the kill...(I'm tryin to think as a fiction writer here) Anway, something to that effect. Also FictionWriter, try reading the anita blake series, it has some stuff like that with a female hero.

+1 on Anita Blake, some good stuff in there. :thumbup: I wouldn't go to far past Narcissus in Chains though, funky stuff after that. :eek:

its common for a girl fighter to have throwing knives on her thigh, it would hold fom 1 to 3 knives, depending on the sie.

Some of the Hibben knives are small enough, and plain enough, to be concealed on the person. Steven Seagal used a Hibben thrower in Under Siege, the one stuck in the dartboard that he later pulled out and used on the BGs. As far as poison goes, well there are effective poisons around. The Amazonian Indians use poison on the arrows, made from the famous poison arrow frogs. Don't know how it is made, and it comes from their diet, so if they are kept in captivity for a long time, and fed other food, they become non-toxic. In fact experts can tell the difference between the species by taste! Don't fancy trying that myself.... The other famous poison that springs to miind is that used by the Kalahari Bushmen on their arrows. It is made from the twigs of a certain bush, which are boiled up for 6 hours. Acocanthera (sp?) if I remember correctly. It grows elsewhere, in fact I have a couple of plants in my own garden. I don't know how long it takes to kill, but perhaps if it was injected, it could reach the bloodstream in large quantities?

...As far as poison goes, well there are effective poisons around. ... I don't know how long it takes to kill, but perhaps if it was injected, it could reach the bloodstream in large quantities?
Poisons are highly variable in their toxicity, and results in people are unpredictable beforehand--making them highly poor choices for quick-kill weapons. You need something certain.

Poisons do exist that (when concentrated) are almost certainly lethal doses for the 50th percential (the LD50 rating of poisons)--such as ricin--but even these do not kill instantly but can take hours or days to work.

Further, there is no effective delivery system with a knife. Such highly toxic poisons are invariably a significant risk to the person handling them, and there is no guarantee that the sufficient dose will transfer into the bloodstream. You might get a partial transfer--but not enough.

Finally, unless you are applying the poison into a victim within minutes, the poisonous compound will oxidize quickly and lose effectiveness. This is why the poison arrow tree frogs' toxin must be employed just before shooting. And unless you're a spider monkey, that's not a whole lot of poison to a human--as evidenced by the fact that the Amazonians will eat the poisoned flesh with no ill effects.

This is why bullets prevail over blades in the quick-kill arena. Inhalation or ingestion is a surer transfer, but again, the best you can hope for is a few hours of linering agony--and that's not what you want. This above all is why toxicology has never factually proved desirable for "efficient" killing purposes. It's only worked in a few notable cases. The rest have been failures.

as evidenced by the fact that the Amazonians will eat the poisoned flesh with no ill effects.
That only proves that stomach acids will render the venom harmless, just like snake venom (many drink it, as long as you don't have cuts in your mouth or a stomach ulcer, you'll live).

Back