Can you help a Newb????

Hello all!

been lurking here on B/F about 6 months, deceided to register as I've got a few Questions.

About 7 years ago a friend gave me his father's knife as he did not want any weapons in the house with his newborn. [sounds like his wife talking, but anyway...]

It is a SOG made in EDM, WA, and it is in near new shape.
I've only had it out of the scabbard to oil it lightly and repolish the brass hilt. It has never cut anything.
I was wondering:
  1. what model it is?
  2. What the approximate value of such a fine knife is!

Pics of the knife are below, and any help is truly appreciated.

Colibri

128202511.jpg

128202509.jpg

128202507.jpg

128202503.jpg

128202499.jpg

Value depends on what someone will pay for it. I have seen them go for anywhere from $75 to $150.

Vince.

There is some mark just above where it reads SEKI-JAPAN that I'm not familiar with or it could be just in the picture. No its not still in production but could you do me a favour and measure the blade starting from the tip to the top of the brass. Thanx.

Bubba "G"
the mark above Seki Japan is an italic style S
the blade from brass guard to tip is 7 5/8"

Have I sumthin specail here?

Do you mean 7 and 5 /16th because the Tech II is 7 and 4/16th. As far as the italic style S goes I've never seen or heard of it before but if some one out there knows what it means I sure we'd all like to hear about it.

BubbaGanew said:
Do you mean 7 and 5 /16th because the Tech II is 7 and 4/16th. As far as the italic style S goes I've never seen or heard of it before but if some one out there knows what it means I sure we'd all like to hear about it.

yes, my bad....5/16ths

I'm seeing a Tech II here, with stainless steel blade .... AWESOME !!!!

Not at all familiar with that particular sheath.

I have my own Tech II in-hand, it has a letter "S" above Seki Japan. I've never wondered what it might indicate, but definitely not "second."
-- were it a second, there would be an "X" stamped somewhere, probably on the underside of the handle where I've seen 'em stamped on other SOG's.

Value ?? Heck, these things are so cool they're priceless !! The Tech II is one manly fantastic knife !!

Cheers,

Carl

Anybody else not have an italic style "S" written just above Seki Japan on their Tech II or do I have the only one?

Hello Bobby B, Spencer Frazer and Chris@SOG. I was just wondering if one of you or some of you or maybe all of you mite know why New Pig Hunter's and colibri's Sog Tech II has an italic style S written just above where it reads Seki Japan on the blade? My Sog Tech II doesn't have one of these italic style S written just above where it reads Seki Japan on the blade and I was just wondering if there was any significance to this. Thanx.

Sorry, I don't have one anymore... and I can't find any pics either... :eek:
I don't THINK it's the Santa Monica, since that was SM Ca...???
I don't know - Ron might?

the "S" on my Tech II is not in italic font, just a bold capital "S" in big font.

definitely not Santa Monica, it says EDM, WA on the opposite side.

Hey, until we hear otherwise we can make up our own story about what the "S" stands for..... here's mine:
the "S" was put there by the Seki people so they would know which blade blanks were destined to become SOG's. The Seki folks made blanks for other companies, so to keep everything straight they used a letter to denote for which company each blank was made.
And "S" meant SOG !!

Isn't it cool how unbridled storytelling will someday become written down as fact ??

OK, your turn, who's next ??

Cheers,

Carl

I don't think I really ever knew the answer to this one. I always assumed it was for "Seki." But, here are some possibilities I came up with:
  • Best Guess: Since the "S" is above Seki, it is a "logo" for that city
  • Second Guess: It is the "S" for SOG
  • Other Guess: I don't have any proof/grounds for this, but maybe it in some way signifies the factory (or supervising bladesmith) in which that knife was made
I'm nearly certain it doesn't in any way signify "Santa Monica."

Since the blade stamping comes later in the blade making process, I doubt Carl's theory has much basis (sorry, Carl...but I'll give you points for creativity).

Maybe Chris can bring this one to Spencer to get an answer. Also, when I see Gloria tomorrow, I'll ask her...she might know.

"theory" ?? Pure unadulterated brainstorming & fiction book writing, 100% unrelated to any reasonable fact.

just clearing the air to let the rumors get started.....

Cheers,

Carl

OK, guys. I told you that I'd ask Gloria when I saw her today and as I'd hoped, she did have the answer. Because some of those early knives were made of SK5 carbon steel, they used the "S" designation during the transition to signify that the blade was indeed stainless steel.

So you can tell that I was completely wrong. Oh, well. We all have "bad" days. ;)

Mystery solved. :) Thanks, Gloria!

Take care.

Thanx Ron! Thanx Gloria ! So then if it doesn't have the "S" like my Tech II doesn't then does that mean its SK5 or is that more in doubt than Carl's theory ? If you don't already know the answer to this Ron maybe you could ask Gloria again the next time you see her I would appreciated.

It has everything to do with the year of production. The progression is as follows:
  1. In the beginning, SK5
  2. When transitioning to "stainless," the "S" was added. This was for a relatively short period of time (maybe a year).
  3. Then they were "stainless" without the "S." I don't have any fixed blades from that era in front of me (I'm at work right now and don't think I have any at home), but I think after the "S" era, that the full word "stainless" or words "stainless steel" were stamped on each blade.
Unfortunately, most knife manufacturers do not stamp the date of production onto their knives, so we don't know when each knife was made. But there are clues (such as the city stamp).

A strong assumption is that any Santa Monica fixed blades are likely SK5. But unfortunately, there is no completely positive way to know for sure.

Hope this clears it up (even slightly).

Back