Can you Make a Yari Blade?

Playing around online, I noticed that there were a few yaris out there that looke really nice but were made with 1060 steel or mystery stainless. I think i'd like to commission one of you fine fellows to make me a very simple Yari style blade that I can then mount onto an oak pole.

I'll be using it for hog hunting so strength matters. NOT looking for fancy, just highly durable, and pretty enough that i won't be ashamed of it.

I'm looking for something with a least a 12" cutting edge NO recurve, and a nasty little point.

My thinking points me into the direction of a less fancy version of this
Yari_blade_b.jpg

If you think you can make something like that out of decent quality materials, at a reasonable fee, snoot me some of your thoughts and we'll discuss the details.

Seeing your yari was the thing that first made me interested in getting one. I can't imagine that anything as awesome as that would fall inside my affordable range but it looks incredible

If you think you can make something like that out of decent quality materials, at a reasonable fee, snoot me some of your thoughts and we'll discuss the details.

Reasonable fee is starting at $1000.00. It has to have distal taper for proper balance, be strong enough for your needs, and is, for all intents and purposes a 12" dagger. What do YOU consider a reasonable price?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Reasonable fee is starting at $1000.00. It has to have distal taper for proper balance, be strong enough for your needs, and is, for all intents and purposes a 12" dagger. What do YOU consider a reasonable price?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

200ish. Maybe 300

What's wrong with the Hanwei version for your purposes?

Honestly it's just too bloody fancy and I HATE gold accents on things i'm going to use. Looks like something you put on a wall.

I figure i can spend less money for equal quality if i buy from someone who can make what i'm looking for without all the fancy crap

If it's just the accoutrements that are bothering you, get the Hanwei and make your own handle.

I don't think you're going to get one custom made that will be as good for $200-300.

Do you mind if i ask what you charge for yours? It seems far more like what I wanted than the production ones i've seen, although I feel certain it's also comparably more expensive

If it's just the accoutrements that are bothering you, get the Hanwei and make your own handle.

I don't think you're going to get one custom made that will be as good for $200-300.

That is the truth.....a decent hunter with basic fittings is in the two to three hundred dollar range.....the necessary distal taper requires forging and I don't know one maker skilled in forging that would even ATTEMPT one of these for less than a cool 1k.

"Reasonable" has to work for both the maker and the purchaser.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I'd have to agree with STeven. The fact is that production is always going to be cheaper than custom, if only because the costs per blade are so much lower.

The plainer rattan Hanwei is shorter and more expensive, which somewhat relates to worth in actual us. You won't often see either selling less than $300 anyway. There are occasionally runs of yari and naginata blades from Kris Cutlery but they are blades only and scarce on the secondary market. There is still a yari listed in the deceased Reinhardt collection and it might be worth it if only for the blade.
http://www.hankreinhardt.com/Sale/Pole arms/pole arms 093.htm

So, you are set on a custom blade, then mounting it yourself. Or, expecting someone to work for pretty cheap money.

The diminutive blade I had hafted came from Chris Makin. I don't know if he is seeking patrons, or might even have something available.

Good luck

GC

I appreciate all the input. I can't say that I had a clue what goes into a blade of this size. I was under the impression that it would be a fairly simple matter of stock removal from a piece of bar stock... 5160 or the like. If it has to be forged, I would expect it to exceed what I've mentioned so far by a good bit.

That's why I ask these questions. I don't know enough to know what I don't know. :)

I've been wanting to make a spear-head for a while now, BePrepared. I can make you one out of beta titanium that no hog can break, but I will expect a full performance report!

hey guys, I'd appreciate any information on what you guys think about using a titanium alloy for this purpose. Mecha is offering to make me a forged titanium blade for this yari but I have absolutely no knowledge of the performance of his (or really any) Ti alloy in edged tools

hey guys, I'd appreciate any information on what you guys think about using a titanium alloy for this purpose. Mecha is offering to make me a forged titanium blade for this yari but I have absolutely no knowledge of the performance of his (or really any) Ti alloy in edged tools

Check out his gladius sword build he did.
Thing is awesome and if he were to make you a yari blade, it would be the best ever!

Can anyone explain why the taper has to be forged? Seems to me there are a few good sources online for steel like 5160 in 48" length. The yari blades I have seen outside of their handles fall under this length overall by a good amount.

Back