1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you use ceramics to sharpen s30/90/110v or not?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by MyLegsAreOk, Sep 11, 2017.

1. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Interesting. Thanks for the information. This might explain why my Manix 2 with s110v doesn t stay sharp as long as I would expect after a prolonged session with my SM medium rods. Maybe I ll just try the cbn rods followed by some stropping with plain leather.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
    FortyTwoBlades' explanation was dead-on, and it points out the reasons I eventually backed away from using ceramics in trying to refine high-wear steels. It 'sort of works' for a while. But then you'll start noticing the edge is losing it's bite and is becoming somewhat overpolished and rounded off, and the ceramics are having a tougher time bringing it back. Then, a few easy, light passes with a similar-grit diamond hone (i.e., ~ 1200 or finer) restores the 'bite' very quickly; that's when the light bulb clicks on, about what the ceramic is missing in capability with these steels.

David

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    FortyTwoBlades likes this.