canadians, and aussies, and whoever else can't have guns

Forgive me for being nosey, but i am just curious to see your HIKING combo. This is only for places that don't allow guns (let's not hijack the thread with guntalk) . If you are from a place that allows firearms and travel to places that don't , let's see yours . It has been years since i traveled out of the u.s . but i will post what i would carry , later today

Forgive me, it was my understanding that they were illegal in canada . Here in the U.S. , there are some hikes where I can't carry one of my guns, and i was just curious to see what others carried when not allowed . Anyway, let's see what you carry

As far as i know you can still get a wilderness gun carry-permit (long-guns only) in Canada if you are hiking/camping in bear country etc.
The last time i camped/hiked with a gun permit (10 years ago) I carried an old Winchester pump 12 Ga Defender model.
Sadly i sold off most of my guns a few years back, the Winchester included.

For my camping/hiking nowadays (sans firearms) i carry an axe or hatchet (Wetterlings or Fiskars)/small fixed blade (Mora, Buck 102 or Enzo)/SAK (Swisschamp or Huntsman) or multi-tool (Leatherman Old Wave or XE6) and a Fiskars saw.

Actually we can even own handguns up here as well, we just can't carry them on our person.
We can have them in our homes but need special permits to transport them to the range or to a gunsmith.
Thankfully our situation is not as bad as it is in the U.K and Australia.

Last edited:
I was reading how to make a handy little device for when you can't be caught with a gun only the other day. Primary use would be for lighting fires, but you can do party tricks with it like pop balloons across the room. Essentially, you use DVD burner gubbins to mod a 2*AA Mag Lite. Silent, flat trajectory, and you get multiple goes like a jet. Laser blinding weapon. Should be good for pistol engagement ranges.

I was reading how to make a handy little device for when you can't be caught with a gun only the other day. Primary use would be for lighting fires, but you can do party tricks with it like pop balloons across the room. Essentially, you use DVD burner gubbins to mod a 2*AA Mag Lite. Silent, flat trajectory, and you get multiple goes like a jet. Laser blinding weapon. Should be good for pistol engagement ranges.
I've seen that on youtube, neat!
Also the minimag firepiston conversion is cool as well.
Theres also a wild D-cell Maglite mod that will basically allow you to ignite newspaper with the maglite beam!

I would only take a gun in the woods when hunting. Since I don't do much hunting, I rarely take a gun in the woods. I don't miss carrying one to be frank even though I do like to plink with a .22.

My carry combo is a small 3" thin bladed knife for cutting and I like a thicker 4-6" survival knife like the RC-4. I always carry a hatchet when I'm wilderness camping, sometimes a take down buck saw when I know I'm going to be at a base camp.

OK guns ARE NOT illegal in CANADA. now let's get back to the subject of the thread
So you are looking to see non-firearm defensive camping gear or just camping gear in general?
this could be interesting.
I have an old slingshot i used to carry (mostly for fun) and i'm currently making a stout hiking staff that could be used defensively against critters.
Realistically the staff will mostly be used for walking, as a shelter support and as a tool in case i get sucked into a bog hole out on the barrens.
lol.

Traveling outside CONUS or even within the US via air is always a pain with a firearm, so I understand the question. If within the US, I don't have too many worries for checked-in luggage and many of my regular blades/tools accompany me; when traveling outside the US, I'll go with more "inexpensive" options.

A simple SAK (Outrider or Farmer are my top choices) and a Mora (prefer the 2K model) are pretty inexpensive and I wouldn't shed too many tears if they were lost or stolen. I have a few inexpensive "tactical" folders, such as the Benchmade Pika (I have a couple older models with ATS34 blades) or even a Buck 110, that would most likely come along as well. I just avoid anything custom or that has irreplaceable value.

Add a decent small FAK, small PSK, 550 cord, duct tape, compass, cravat/bandana, LED flashlight, fire-steel, matches (and/or Bic lighter) and a whistle...along with a couple inexpensive knives and you have a decent traveling package for day hikes that doesn't take up too much room.

ROCK6

Well I for one think we over blow the "security in the woods" topic on this forum. I understand that people problems exist in some areas with high population densities and around drug ops etc. However, security issues with wildlife in North America usually revolve around awareness of conditions and common sense practices. At least in Ontario, the only worries are black bears (minor problem) and moose (big problem during the rut but otherwise not a problem).

I live in NYC unfortunately and here you need to have a permit for a rifle or a shotgun, it took me almost 2 years to get mine but Others have been more lucky, It's almost impossible for me to get a pistol permit and forget about a carry permit... If I'm hunting I obviously bring an appropiate fire arm... I never really feel unsafe without a gun ..If I'm day hiking I carry mace if camping than bearspray. a whistle etc..as far as blades go usually a folder of some sort on my person, a multitool and a mora in my bag and my fiskars or bk7 on the outside of the bag.

Perhaps it is very different in the US, but here the kinds of people that would make any firearm I might own a weapon don't seem to know the woodland places I lurk in exist, much less go there. True, there are obviously rogue elements that one might find but that is way not the norm. I can't recall spotting anyone ever out in the sticks here that I didn't feel supremely confident would fit under my boot if push came to shove.

I carry one of my A1's,my CRKT Ringed Razel and a multitool.Right now it's a leatherman surge(the surge works lol) soon it'll be a swisstool.

Since Germany has also a very strict arms law, I can't carry any firearms on my hikes. Here even airguns require a carry permit, carrying a bow in the woods is the farthest every normal citizen is allowed (but who will do that ;)). The only persons who are allowed to carry firearms are hunters (but only within their own hunting district!) and those who have had the luck to get one of the rare CCW permits (Waffenschein).

So I usually have some blades plus a walking stick with me. These are a SAK, a small fixed blade (at the moment a RC-4), sometimes a folder, and an axe (Wetterlings) or a large knife (Ka-Bar Kukri).

Last edited:
Forgive me for being nosey, but i am just curious to see your HIKING combo. This is only for places that don't allow guns (let's not hijack the thread with guntalk) . If you are from a place that allows firearms and travel to places that don't , let's see yours . It has been years since i traveled out of the u.s . but i will post what i would carry , later today

Well, it might make sense to assume that what we carry is a lot like what you carry, minus the firearms. :D It's not that different. The gear depends on what you're going out to do. Being knife nuts in this forum, everyone will likely have some knives with them in their gear, and those will of course vary according to tastes. I was out in the woods today for a short hike. I carried a Fällkniven A1.

Most of the areas around where I live, do not allow firearms of any kind, including bow and arrow (yeah, they are considered firearms). When in that situation where I can't carry, my combo would have a Mora 760 (green handle, 12c27 stainless) and one of Erics sheaths stuffed into a shoulder bag or day pack and on my belt I always have a Victorinox OH Trekker German army issue.

I carry an Opinel 10 or an okapi with a 4" blade

if I carry a fixed blade , it rides in my pack , usually its a marttiini , or one of the ones I made .

When Im doing stuff that is a bit more than hiking a trail allready made but more like exploring the rainforrest , I take my valiant co " survival golock" .. so far its been only on one trek where it got used as machete for making a path , and then only lightly , Im seriously into leaving only foot prints , not masses of shredded shrubbery behind me .

I hitchhiked all over the top end and the WA coast , camped for months at a time saving welfare cheques up ( rebelious troubled teenager ) the only knife I had was an ancient okapi folder , I never was aware of being under knifed , I still got that knife too , its a bit warn and beaten up looking , but going strong .

Back