Canal street knives opinions please

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a canal street canitler. I really want to know what you guys opinions are on their knives. I find that in traditional pattern I really like barlows, doctors knives, English jacks, ect. I like the stockman and congress patterns, but they are way down on the list of my favorites. I don't own a canoe pattern yet but it looks like it would make a great daily carry. Chime in please. Let me know your experience with canal street.

Personally, Canal Street is my favorite traditional maker. If I am not mistaken, they used to work from Schrade and may work the old Schrade factory in Ellenville. The Cannittler is an excellent pattern. The D2 comes nice and sharp out of the box. The springs may not have the snap that you find on GECs, but that is fine by me. I prefer easier springs my knives.

I think they are nice. They use higher end steels and have nice F&F. They back up their work with good CS. My only issue is they do not seem to be carried by a lot of dealers and they do not get the word out well

A local shop in the stockyards here in Oklahoma city just recently started carrying them. I am hoping that they have the canitler in stock when I swing by there tomorrow. Last time I was in there I had asked the owner/ manager if they were going to carry Canal Streets and he said that he had just recently heard of them and ordered a selection of them. I was kind of surprised that he had just recently heard of them. Hopefully their prices on the CS are as competitive as their queen prices. I picked up a birds eye doctors knife with pen blade for $56 out the door.

I'm biased as I own several CSC knives, the cannitler is a very fine knife, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Russell

dscn3597awi2.jpg

Wow!!! That is a thing of beauty! You traditional guys have a new convert. I have always loved slippies but never really collected them. This past year however slippies are all I have bought and I don't forsee going back to my big, locking, bank vault folder days.

Right now I would have to dig it out, although I don't think it has half stops.

Russell

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a canal street canitler. I really want to know what you guys opinions are on their knives. I find that in traditional pattern I really like barlows, doctors knives, English jacks, ect. I like the stockman and congress patterns, but they are way down on the list of my favorites. I don't own a canoe pattern yet but it looks like it would make a great daily carry. Chime in please. Let me know your experience with canal street.

I have a half moon trapper in 14-4 CrMo (Latrobes version of 154CM)
I find the fit and finish to be excellent. Better than Queen. On the order of GEC.
The spring is less robust than I really like, but is adequate for my needs.

Thanks for checking gentlemen. To all of you; do you prefer their D2 or 440C?

Of those two, I prefer 440C. They did an excellent job with the 14-4CrMo.

So two people have now mentioned weak springs. Are we talking stiffness on the order of most case knives or queens. I don't own a GEC so I don't really know how they feel.

Back