Cancer warning on knives?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found a cheap folding knife I would really like to own, I'm not sure where it's made and I don't know the manufacturer, when I went to the shop the box that contained the knife said "Warning this contains substance/chemical known to cause cancer"

I never thought I would see this on a knife and I am kind of paranoid, it does not say which chemical/substance. Is a hazardous if gets in contact with my skin? Excuse me if I sound crazy I have never experienced this before.

Thanks in advance.

I recently found a cheap folding knife I would really like to own, I'm not sure where it's made and I don't know the manufacturer, when I went to the shop the box that contained the knife said "Warning this contains substance/chemical known to cause cancer"

I never thought I would see this on a knife and I am kind of paranoid, it does not say which chemical/substance. Is a hazardous if gets in contact with my skin? Excuse me if I sound crazy I have never experienced this before.

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry, it doesn't cause cancer unless you live in California.
;):eek::rolleyes:

Just don't eat the knife and you should be fine...

Probably some component of the plastic in the handles. You said it was a cheap knife from abroad. So don't buy it. Doesn't sound like you are missing much.

No, I live in Denmark but the knife is ordered from abroad ofcourse and I was really shocked and disappointed because I really wanted that folder. :(
You should be fine unless you use it for a knife swallowing act.

Oh okay thanks guys, I just had this crazy thought that if my skin got in contact with this for over a long time I would pay the price.

Probably some component of the plastic in the handles. You said it was a cheap knife from abroad. So don't buy it. Doesn't sound like you are missing much.
It is entirely steel, all of it- no plastic.

What knife is it?

I am nervous to post it but I can tell you it's a replica of a WWII knife, I have old school knives such as the italian stiletto with lock back and a really old Hunting knife. But this knife is a WWII knife with german engravings.

I have seen these on a few knives. The warning is about the materials used to coat the blade.

n2s

It's a required warning for anything sold in California. I seen that warning on knife boxes, cracker boxes, ceramic plates, etc., etc., etc. One of those crazy California laws. Everything causes cancer in California. Of course California will probably fall into the sea before then.

Rich

i would not buy it. The skin is an organ too. continuous exposure to small amounts of lead or other harmful materials is not good. There are many items that contain substances that can be bad for your health, but it only becomes a problem when regularly exposed. Since a pocket knife is in the pocket all day and humans perspire, and since you would handle it to cut things regularly, i would not own it. If you do buy it, you should wash your hands after handling it.

It is like a lead acid car battery. If change your car battery every few years, it will not be a problem. But if you worked everyday in a plant that produced them you would be required to wear respirator and take other safety measures.

i would not buy it. The skin is an organ too. continuous exposure to small amounts of lead or other harmful materials is not good. There are many items that contain substances that can be bad for your health, but it only becomes a problem when regularly exposed. Since a pocket knife is in the pocket all day and humans perspire, and since you would handle it to cut things regularly, i would not own it. If you do buy it, you should wash your hands after handling it.
On the other hand, I would immediately eat the knife. YMMV.

It's a required warning for anything sold in California. I seen that warning on knife boxes, cracker boxes, ceramic plates, etc., etc., etc. One of those crazy California laws. Everything causes cancer in California. Of course California will probably fall into the sea before then.

Rich

I live in california. It is called Prop 65 warning. If you look it up, you will find that products sold in california that have certain substances known to cause cancer or reproductive harm have to labelled as such.

I owned over 100 of these cheapo knives with said warning on the boxes as a teenager, and I don't have cancer.
This is also on the package of all of my airgun pellets, whatever it is is such a small amount it's no concern, but is there so they feel the need to warn you about it.

I say don't worry about it, but I also say don't buy the cheap knife because I've owned enough of them to know that within a month you'll notice that a screw had fallen out at some point.
From there it won't be long before it falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back