• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

carbide flat platen

Put me down for an 8" with aluminum base plate please.

Put me down for an 8" with aluminum base plate please.
Will put you on the list. Will be next year i have them.
First batch is coming next week but all of them already sold.

I got mine a couple weeks ago, it's gorgous. I was actually surprised by its looks.
It's super shiny.

i haven't used it yet. I'm putting together a waterfall platen with it. Some parts I'll buy, some parts I'll Have to make.

Once I get it together and running, I'll post a picture.

In the mean time I've officially just got Bling.

I got mine a couple weeks ago, it's gorgous. I was actually surprised by its looks.
It's super shiny.

i haven't used it yet. I'm putting together a waterfall platen with it. Some parts I'll buy, some parts I'll Have to make.

Once I get it together and running, I'll post a picture.

In the mean time I've officially just got Bling.
Thnx craig!

Looking forward to see how your waterfall platen will turn out!

Youve got blinged😜

Thanks guys! Have fun with the platens you defenitely gonna like them👍🏻

ground my first few tapered tangs on this beauty, and to say I am impressed is an understatement, nearly dead flat right off the grinder, no need to flat lap it.

Question, do you recommend breaking the top edge of the platen as it seems very sharp and I am worried about belt wear?

ground my first few tapered tangs on this beauty, and to say I am impressed is an understatement, nearly dead flat right off the grinder, no need to flat lap it.

Question, do you recommend breaking the top edge of the platen as it seems very sharp and I am worried about belt wear?
Glad you like it!! Its perfect and it will just stay like that it doesnt wear out💪🏻

On my personal one i did make a radius on the top corner.
Easy to do with a diamond stone or a diamond file, i myself use an atoma diamond stone for it.

Maybe even like a diamond burr in a dremel will work?

Tried to upload an picture of it but cant it too work.

Finally got around to making my waterfall platen for this piece of tooling. I made it yesterday, took about three hours, I still haven't used it yet. I almost want to keep it pretty looking....haha. just kidding. still I'm curious to see if it stays shiny.

The top right handle/knob covers a slot for minor angle adjustments. The left knob is clearance for pivot only.

I milled a stop for the carbide to rest against on the aluminum angle mounting bracket. I held it down with strips of Gorilla Glue double sided tape.

I haven't radiused the edges yet. I want to try it out first to see what it's like?

Idk if it's ok posting these pictures Here, but I figured it might inspire more uses....

Thanks..... Again.

Last edited:
Finally got around to making my waterfall platen for this piece of tooling. I made it yesterday, took about three hours, I still haven't used it yet. I almost want to keep it pretty looking....haha. just kidding. still I'm curious to see if it stays shiny.

The top right handle/knob covers a slot for minor angle adjustments. The left knob is clearance for pivot only.

I milled a stop for the carbide to rest against on the aluminum angle mounting bracket. I held it down with strips of Gorilla Glue double sided tape.

I haven't radiused the edges yet. I want to try it out first to see what it's like?

Idk if it's ok posting these pictures Here, but I figured it might inspire more uses....

Thanks..... Again.

He craig,
Looking good already!
But wouldnt it be better to have it without a ledge for a waterfall platen?
Looks now you got a bit of slack belt.
When you put only carbide you can always easily round of the corner to your needs with a diamond stone or file.

I use 3m vhb heat resistant doublesided tape for mounting, works great!
I do clamp it with a flat bar on it for couple hours to make sure it has a good fit.

Happy to hear you like the carbide platen👍🏻

Grts Robin

He craig,
Looking good already!
But wouldnt it be better to have it without a ledge for a waterfall platen?
Looks now you got a bit of slack belt.
When you put only carbide you can always easily round of the corner to your needs with a diamond stone or file.

I use 3m vhb heat resistant doublesided tape for mounting, works great!
I do clamp it with a flat bar on it for couple hours to make sure it has a good fit.

Happy to hear you like the carbide platen👍🏻

Grts Robin

Yeah, I wasn't sure how good tape holds?
I might remove or lessen the ledge?

Seems like I need to play with the belt tension or I stall the motor. Maybe I need more pliable belts.

I might be swapping this carbide Out anyhow.

I put a glass platen on my regular set up just a few months ago, and it looks like it already has a groove in it.
Doesn't make sense. :/

Yeah, I wasn't sure how good tape holds?
I might remove or lessen the ledge?

Seems like I need to play with the belt tension or I stall the motor. Maybe I need more pliable belts.

I might be swapping this carbide Out anyhow.

I put a glass platen on my regular set up just a few months ago, and it looks like it already has a groove in it.
Doesn't make sense. :/
The 3m vhb tape holds real good. I clamp it for a couple of hours and good degrease before.

After that its real pain to get it of again haha.
And tbh for a waterfall platen i think the notch isnt really needed.
For normal flat platen it is defenitely needed.

Waterfall platen is way less used and low rpm etcetera.

Thats how i came up with the carbide platens since my glass platens always worn out too fast.

The 3m vhb tape holds real good. I clamp it for a couple of hours and good degrease before.

After that its real pain to get it of again haha.
And tbh for a waterfall platen i think the notch isnt really needed.
For normal flat platen it is defenitely needed.

Waterfall platen is way less used and low rpm etcetera.

Thats how i came up with the carbide platens since my glass platens always worn out too fast.

I maybe should of bought 2.... Ha

Back