Carbon fiber or micarta Sebenza - Which would you choose?

Some threads are worth resurrecting. ;)

I've made a radical change in my collecting habits. I'm moving almost exclusively to high-quality, lightweight EDCs. I've got several William Henry knives, four customs, and a few other production knives . . . all under 3 ounces. The Small CF Sebenza is a natural in that crowd.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. I don't use pocket clips, so weight is a big deal for me. Carbon fiber and Titanium are obviously my two favorite handle materials. Put them together . . . Titanium on the lock side for strength and CF on the non-lock side for lightness . . . and you've got the best of both worlds. :)

Since I own a micarta sebenza I'm incredibly biased but I wouldn't want a small sebenza any other way.

I had a Large Micarta for awhile and I understand where you're coming from. But I just can't pass up a factory Sebenza that only weighs 2.3 ounces. That's what tipped the scales (if you'll parden the pun) in favor of CF for me.

I just picked up my Small CF 21 last week and it is really an amazing little knife. I like the uniqueness and the weight of it...not to mention the fact that it is the smoothest Sebenza I have ever owned.

PairSebsWeb.jpg

That's good to hear, SaddleSC. I'm anxious to see what the textured CF scale feels like. And eariler in this thread, Justin Fournier said some folks complained that CF is more difficult to clean than Micarta. I'm not aware that CF is more absorbant than Micarta, so I'm not sure what that complaint is all about. On the other hand, I'm not planning on using the Sebenza for tasks that will expose it to a lot of dirt and contaminants, so keeping the CF scale clean shouldn't be a problem for me.

Last edited:
^^^ You will love your Small CF.
I got mine and love it but was missing a connection.
Decided to let it go.. and then I couldn't.
I cleaned her up.. again, and touched up the blade, and I can't get her out of my hand.
It's a great little knife.

Thanks. She'll slip very comfortably into my current EDC rotation:

Kershaw Damascus Leek
Spyderco Centofante Memory
Buck Mayo TNT
CRKT Eros
Lionsteel TiSpine
William Henry E10-1
William Henry B7-FT
William Henry B30-TIZ
Ray Laconico Slim EDC
Alan Davis Titanium Framelock Trapper
Rod Olson Quick Flick
Arno Bernard Titanium Folder

:)

I have been carrying a large CF 21 for about 2 weeks and I love it. I thought the scales would be like my Gayle Bradley so when it arrived I was surprised that they were smooth. Now I love the smooth cf scales a lot more than the textured.

Got the Large CF as a groomsmen present a month and a week ago. I absolutely love it.

Small CF should be here Monday. I couldn't help it. :)

For me it depends on what size of sebenza you are buying. The large carbon fiber is excellent because it really reduces the overall weight of the knife. It's perfect if you like the feel of a lage knife without the heft. A small sebenza on the other hand is not really that heavy to begin with. For the small sebenza the micarta is the way to go because it makes the small sebenza feel more substantial and provides better grip.

And I am on the other side of this fence; I like the inlay on the large because it improves grip and feel on a solid working knife, and prefer the CF for the small to enhance the look and further lighten a slim, pocketable go anywhere do anything folder.

I agree with both of you 100%:D

^^thanks may have to pull the trigger now (my wallet was hoping someone would say horribly lol)

I thought the scales would be like my Gayle Bradley so when it arrived I was surprised that they were smooth. Now I love the smooth cf scales a lot more than the textured.
My Small CF arrived today and I see what you're talking about. The figuring in the CF makes the scale appear textured in the pics, but it's not. It's smooth and it's absolutely beautiful. I've bought and sold several Sebenzas both Large and Small on my search for the perfect one and I'm confident I finally found it in this Small CF.

They are both totally awesome as some others have said before. But if I was using the knife, and using it like it's meant to be used... I'd opt for the micarta. It will wear better than the CF in my opinion, unless you like scratched CF ;)

Back