"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Cool collection Randy :) As far as I know, that piece isn't online, but I think you can get back issues from Knife Magazine, it was in the July 2018 issue :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack found it online and bought it. :thumbsup:

Appalachiam Magazine article --- "The Kind of Men Who Carry Pocketknives"

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2018/10/24/the-kind-of-men-who-carry-pocketknives/

Great read leghog the writer hit the nail on the head. My buddy has an outdoor shop called The Practical Outdoorsman and it's where a lot of day's 7 or 8 of us can be found sitting around shooting the breeze and I bet with that group everyone have a knife in there pocket. I posted several pics of the store in the Adventures of Pearl thread
HERE
I'm sitting here waiting for the snow to start falling we're supposed to get 12 to 24 inches by Monday with 18 being the most likely amount. That's a lot for us most of the time when it snows around here we get 3 to 10 inches with anything over 6 we consider it a big snow.

I'm sitting here waiting for the snow to start falling we're supposed to get 12 to 24 inches by Monday with 18 being the most likely amount. That's a lot for us most of the time when it snows around here we get 3 to 10 inches with anything over 6 we consider it a big snow.

Ugh Randy, a foot of snow is a lot for us flatlanders.

Northern Greenville county will probably get a fair amount (it borders NC), so that means schools will close until Traveler's Rest thaws out. Never understood why Greenville county is one big school district, it makes life hard on the folks in the southern part of the county below the 85 corridor that get little to no snow or ice. My wife, daughter and grandkids are supposed to go to Biltmore on Friday, I hope it thaws out by then.

Ugh Randy, a foot of snow is a lot for us flatlanders.

Northern Greenville county will probably get a fair amount (it borders NC), so that means schools will close until Traveler's Rest thaws out. Never understood why Greenville county is one big school district, it makes life hard on the folks in the southern part of the county below the 85 corridor that get little to no snow or ice. My wife, daughter and grandkids are supposed to go to Biltmore on Friday, I hope it thaws out by then.

I've been going down to Greenville SC for various reasons all my life it's only about 60 miles from here. It's bigger than Asheville but both cities have really grown in the last 50 years. Asheville proper is home to 90,000 plus people while the larger metro area has about 400,000.

Randy, you’ll have to forgive me, I don’t know that much about winter weather where you’re at; when it snows there, does it all melt fairly quickly, or does it stick around?

I’m still getting used to winter where the snow just keeps accumulating until spring. Back in Arkansas, no matter how much snow (or, just as often, ice) we got, it was pretty much guaranteed to melt within a few days.

Speaking of ice...

sPM0mQ7.jpg

(That's Black Lake, which is really just a part of Lake Minnetonka. I took that picture yesterday afternoon. No one was out fishing at the time, but there have been a few folks out there over the last week or so. Today we drove by the same spot and there were at least a dozen pop-up ice fishing shelters out there. I guess the ice isn't that thin. :D)

Randy, you’ll have to forgive me, I don’t know that much about winter weather where you’re at; when it snows there, does it all melt fairly quickly, or does it stick around?

I’m still getting used to winter where the snow just keeps accumulating until spring. Back in Arkansas, no matter how much snow (or, just as often, ice) we got, it was pretty much guaranteed to melt within a few days.

Speaking of ice...

sPM0mQ7.jpg

(That's Black Lake, which is really just a part of Lake Minnetonka. I took that picture yesterday afternoon. No one was out fishing at the time, but there have been a few folks out there over the last week or so. Today we drove by the same spot and there were at least a dozen pop-up ice fishing shelters out there. I guess the ice isn't that thin. :D)
I always wonder how do they put those signs? :) Do they use stilts and wait till the ice holds the sign tight? But then, how do they get those stilts out of the ice??? :eek: I suppose they get them alternatively out of the ice when it freezes, that must be pretty tiring. :rolleyes:

Great knife!! Lucky Granddaughter - both to receive a knife like that, and some Stan-genes!!

I'm surprised I've never taken a photo of that knife, I've seen it on the bench often enough (though I haven't been able to get over to see Stan for a bit). It's Stan's 'Hallamshire' pattern, there was also one on display in one of the Sheffield museums, until, shamefully, they removed all Stan's knives a few years ago. Stan gives his grandchildren a knife each year on their birthdays, with a Hallamshire Knife for their 18th birthdays. A few years back, several years before her 18th birthday, Stan told me that Georgia, who seems to have a real interest in knives and her granddad's work, cheekily asked him, "Have you made my knife yet?". He said that he told her, "I'm not going anywhere!" :D Stan started working on it not long after though, and has shown me his progress a number of times :thumbsup:

Here's Stan in his younger days, with one of the same knives :thumbsup:

C73MwSH.jpg

Speaking of ice...

sPM0mQ7.jpg

I have walked on small ponds, but that's about it! :D I always enjoy Harry's posts about the car on the ice :) I came across this the other day, which shows that not all the kids are at home playing video games (one example of salty language I think)! :rolleyes: Amazing what fun you can have with a frozen lake! :D :thumbsup:

Barrett it does melt rather quickly here. we have a fairly moderate climate here. They reported this morning that we have 9.8 inches in Asheville so far.

I'm surprised I've never taken a photo of that knife, I've seen it on the bench often enough (though I haven't been able to get over to see Stan for a bit). It's Stan's 'Hallamshire' pattern, there was also one on display in one of the Sheffield museums, until, shamefully, they removed all Stan's knives a few years ago. Stan gives his grandchildren a knife each year on their birthdays, with a Hallamshire Knife for their 18th birthdays. A few years back, several years before her 18th birthday, Stan told me that Georgia, who seems to have a real interest in knives and her granddad's work, cheekily asked him, "Have you made my knife yet?". He said that he told her, "I'm not going anywhere!" :D Stan started working on it not long after though, and has shown me his progress a number of times :thumbsup:

Here's Stan in his younger days, with one of the same knives :thumbsup:

C73MwSH.jpg

I have walked on small ponds, but that's about it! :D I always enjoy Harry's posts about the car on the ice :) I came across this the other day, which shows that not all the kids are at home playing video games (one example of salty language I think)! :rolleyes: Amazing what fun you can have with a frozen lake! :D :thumbsup:

Maybe Stan's granddaughter will become an apprentice.

We've had a couple of nasty wet snows here, and a couple of dustings. The cooking spray seems to keep the thrower from clogging and the snow from sticking to the shovel. I keep the driveway as clean as possible to make the most of whatever sun gets through to it.
It's supposed to be clear and high thirties for a most of the week. I'll have to clear those eavestroughes yet.

We've had a couple of nasty wet snows here, and a couple of dustings. The cooking spray seems to keep the thrower from clogging and the snow from sticking to the shovel. I keep the driveway as clean as possible to make the most of whatever sun gets through to it.
It's supposed to be clear and high thirties for a most of the week. I'll have to clear those eavestroughes yet.

Easy enough to understand what that word means, but I've never heard it before - clearly old :thumbsup:

I've been watching Time Team's Favorite Digs, and I think I may be a knife knut.
Faye and Tracy were presiding over an empty ditch in iron age hill fort country in Herefordshire. Was I worried about why there were no signs of habitation on this improbably large hill fort? Nope. I was wondering what knife I could whip out that would impress Faye and Tracy.
Q9pgeUL.jpg

Rofm0T6.jpg

Wait, I know; one of these (paired with my brittle bon mots).
KxJ4P23.jpg

Last edited:
Easy enough to understand what that word means, but I've never heard it before - clearly old :thumbsup:
Most people around these parts call them gutters. I don't know how many people spell the plural of trough to show the old intervocalic voicing. It's not a word I see much either.

Last edited:
Back