"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Except for us that cant grow a good one:(, hence my "Amish" style beard:rolleyes: Plus I've been growing this beard for 7 years, its finally a hands span long:D:thumbsup:
I was wondering what was in the garage the other day, and happened to open a box with crepe hair in it from my theater-major days. No spirit gum or liquid latex survives, though.
My 'tache in progress is no longer a Tom Selleck, but not quite an Errol Flynn. The women are calling me "Brad" as they swoon.

Last edited:
I was wondering what was in the garage the other day, and happened to open a box with crepe hair in it from my theater-major days. No spirit gum or liquid latex survives, though.
Lol yeah thats why a "good" mustache would be an expensive hobby for me. I'd have to buy a collection of them,the glue,mustache wax..... better to spend the money on knives:D

Except for us that cant grow a good one:(, hence my "Amish" style beard:rolleyes: Plus I've been growing this beard for 7 years, its finally a hands span long:D:thumbsup:
When I was younger, I had an Amish/Abe Lincoln style beard. Best of both worlds. Should have had one today when I ate a very messy Philly steak sandwich--gotta be careful eating with a full beard!

I had a full beard for all of the 70s. Then a mustache on and off for a few years in the next decade.
Finally I realized - "I'm too pretty to hide my face with all this hair." Been shavin' since. Why deprive the world of natural beauty :confused: :rolleyes:

:D Ray

Last edited:
This discussion piqued my interest so I just ordered Under a Wing and Lindbergh (Scott Berg's biography that is generally considered to be the definitive biography of him.)

Being a knife nut, I'm especially interested in Lindbergh's SAKs and other knives. Did you see the reference to him carrying a SAK Classic in Under a Wing?

In 2000, when I was on a round the country trip and went to the Lindberg house museum, seeing the little black classic hanging on his keyring in the ignition of the old VW bug was a strong clue that it was the little pen knife Reeve talked about him using to cut off the excess lacing of their moccasins after glueing the laces together. And the SAK laying on the floor with the sardine cans was his other SAK that Reeve talked about. The way she put it in the book was, that her dad liked Swiss Army knives, in the plural sense. So two of them were on display in the old VW he drove all over four continents. I know that Jon talked about his dad giving him a SAK, and his grandson not too long ago was going to fly a small plane across the Atlantic to commemorate his granddads flight, mentioned that he was carrying a SAK that his granddad had given him. Apparently he gifted SAK's to family members.

An article about Erik Lindberg. The last line of interesting.

[Grandson embarks on Lindbergh voyage
Tony Perry. Special to the Tribune. Tony Perry is a staff writer for the Los Angeles Times, a Tribune newspaperCHICAGO TRIBUNE

In hopes of replicating his grandfather's historic 1927 flight across the Atlantic and boosting interest in civilian aviation, Erik Lindbergh took off Sunday in a plane dubbed "The New Spirit of St. Louis."

Lindbergh, 37, an artist and executive with the St. Louis-based X Prize Foundation, taxied alone down the runway at an airport named for his grandfather in a state-of-the-art single-engine Lancair Columbia 300.

"This flight is all about celebration of the past and hope for the future," Lindbergh said.

Lindbergh landed Sunday evening at the Spirit of St. Louis Airport in Chesterfield, Mo., near St. Louis. He will take off later this week for Long Island and depart May 1 for Paris.

Lindbergh wants to drum up interest for the high-stakes competition being staged by the non-profit X Prize Foundation, dedicated to propagating science research and civilian space travel.

With heavy corporate sponsorship, the foundation is offering $10 million to the first group that can build an aircraft capable of sending three adults 62.5 miles into space and bringing them back safely, and then repeat the feat within two weeks.

"Charles Lindbergh's flight changed the public's mind-set about aviation," X Prize Foundation Chairman Peter Diamandis said. "We want the same from Erik--for people to say, `Hey, there's no reason space travel is just for government employees or wealthy millionaires.'"

Competitions have long been part of aviation. Charles Lindbergh was motivated by a $25,000 prize being offered for the first non-stop New York-France flight.

Erik Lindbergh has another reason for attempting the flight: to raise awareness about rheumatoid arthritis.

A star gymnast as a teenager, Lindbergh was diagnosed with arthritis in his early 20s and soon could barely walk without canes. But with medication and a devotion to exercise and diet, he shows few effects of the crippling condition.

"This mission is also about the future of medicine," he said. "It's about overcoming obstacles and [about] perseverance."

That the flight should start in San Diego is historically proper. Although the money to back Charles Lindbergh's flight came from St. Louis--hence the name of his plane--the expertise and determination came from San Diego.

A financially struggling company called Ryan Airlines built his single-engine monoplane on a shoestring budget and without blueprints.

Erik Lindbergh estimates that his 3,600-mile Long Island-to-Paris leg of the flight will take about 18 hours. His grandfather took 331/2 hours.

His all-composite, 219 m.p.h. Lancair has a satellite phone and Global Positioning System technology--a far cry from the submarine-like periscope that Ryan designers put in his grandfather's plane to overcome the fact that an oversize fuel tank blocked his view.

Lindbergh said he remembers little of his grandfather, who died in 1974, except that he was reluctant to talk about his famous flight.

"If anyone in the family asked him about the actual flight, he would say, `Read the book,'" his grandson said.

Although aviation has changed greatly in the 75 years since Charles Lindbergh made the first solo flight across the Atlantic, one factor remains as important as ever: luck.

Erik Lindbergh figures he has a good luck charm: a Swiss Army knife given to him by his grandfather.]

Last edited:
Im no fan of shaving, and my facial hair comes and goes. When I start a dirty renovation I often shave just my cheeks and chin so that the synthetic rubber portion of my dust mask fits my face properly. Then I sometimes let the hair on my upper lip keep growing. I love having a ridiculously large moustache once in a while. My wife tolerates it, but is pleased when I surprise her by shaving it off.

When I do get rid of a big moustache I go for a messy burger soon after, that's something I would possibly have avoided for months.

It's amusing and a bit paradoxical that on a knife forum so many people sport beards and seem to have an aversion to razors-the ultimate keen edge :D I thank King Gillette for his innovations :) Mind you, his full name, King Camp Gillette, might raise some guffawing these days:D

I don't like shaving very much I admit, although when done well it's a satisfying achievement, but I dislike beards on myself and look awful with one. When I was younger I had dark brown/black hair and lots of it but the beard whilst thick was some horrible mottled tortoiseshell effect, black, blonde,red and brown:eek: Now it's grey in there too so another good reason for keeping it off. The Ancients sported beards, but the Romans had razors and preferred to distance themselves from 'barbarians' :cool::thumbsup:

Thing is, I find as age overwhelms you, hair starts growing in all manner of unwelcome places :eek: That too needs keeping at bay :D

In 2000, when I was on a round the country trip and went to the Lindberg house museum, seeing the little black classic hanging on his keyring in the ignition of the old VW bug was a strong clue that it was the little pen knife Reeve talked about him using to cut off the excess lacing of their moccasins after glueing the laces together. And the SAK laying on the floor with the sardine cans was his other SAK that Reeve talked about. The way she put it in the book was, that her dad liked Swiss Army knives, in the plural sense. So two of them were on display in the old VW he drove all over four continents. I know that Jon talked about his dad giving him a SAK, and his grandson not too long ago was going to fly a small plane across the Atlantic to commemorate his granddads flight, mentioned that he was carrying a SAK that his granddad had given him. Apparently he gifted SAK's to family members.

Thanks, jackknife. I've seen lots of references to Lindbergh's SAKs but this is the only thing definitive I've seen on what they were. Much appreciated.

we planned another trip to Disney back in Feb, at that time policy allowed knives up to 3” blade. Got here today and security says policy changed a few months ago. Hopefully at the end of the day I get my Ashley’s choice lambsfoot and GEC HJ15 ebony back. The kicker of it all is they let me keep my pioneer, it’s classified as a multi tool. Prayers for recovery appreciated. This is my youngest ones first trip here, he is now 6!

All I bought yesterday was this vine-stock corkscrew and the draft knob. (Schrade just for knife content).
The corkscrew has been out in the weather for a long time. I think our Lord may have been a little harsh in his condemnation of vine-wood.
602NxdU.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Jody, good to know.

Yet another example of SAK flying under the radar. A small Leatherman like a squirt would fly as well?

I find it a bit strange that they are making a definite distinction between a dedicated knife and a multitool wth a knife blade on it. Curious.

Hoping those that confiscated your knives don't know how nice they are & you get your primo knives back - fingers crossed for you !

Same for Downtown Disney. It's a long walk back to the parking lot... :mad::mad::mad:. Thought about hiding my knife along the walking path, but the forum inspired me not to do that after reading posts in the past where knives were lost etc.

Edit, you had a SAK pioneer and was cleared? I was just at Downtown Disney California a week ago and got turned back with my pioneer. I'm sure I didn't look shady with my stroller and baby food etc lol...

It probably depends on the particular security personnel but I’ve gone with leathermans first was a wingman I think that they would just tell me to keep in my pocket and when They questioned me I told them it was for opening packages and stuff, which it was of course. Then the last time we went I had a micra I think just on my keys and they let me through I think without even asking about it. I generally don’t bring anything that if it gets taken will ruin my day.

It seems every hobby I get into is expensive... First World Problems I guess.
I've built three Rock Crawler Jeeps in the last 20 years, I could have bought a small/cheap house!!!
But the fun I get out of it is immeasurable and the time spent enjoying the outdoors with the family is priceless.
That would've been a large/nice house anywhere but Cali!:D

we planned another trip to Disney back in Feb, at that time policy allowed knives up to 3” blade. Got here today and security says policy changed a few months ago. Hopefully at the end of the day I get my Ashley’s choice lambsfoot and GEC HJ15 ebony back. The kicker of it all is they let me keep my pioneer, it’s classified as a multi tool. Prayers for recovery appreciated. This is my youngest ones first trip here, he is now 6!

Just make sure you go through the same security checkpoint on the way out that you went through on the way in and hope that the same security guards are on duty. Did you get the name of the security guard that took your knives and a receipt for them?

I was at DW staying at the WL...got stopped an searched at "EVERY"park at random search!After being stopped in the afternoon...I told the CM wanding me....this is "not" random!!Please explain ...why me?? She laughed & said look at your hat!! I took my hat off looked at the logo ....looked at her and said You gotta be kidding me!! She was laughing & said nope! My cap logo was NRA!(not kidding)!Next day, changed hats....not wanded once!
jim

I was at DW staying at the WL...got stopped an searched at "EVERY"park at random search!After being stopped in the afternoon...I told the CM wanding me....this is "not" random!!Please explain ...why me?? She laughed & said look at your hat!! I took my hat off looked at the logo ....looked at her and said You gotta be kidding me!! She was laughing & said nope! My cap logo was NRA!(not kidding)!Next day, changed hats....not wanded once!
jim

As a fellow NRA member, I can see them singling you out in this anti-gun culture we find ourselves in, but I'm surprised they actually admitted it.

Back