"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I wonder what that James Bond action figure with the From Russia with Love attache case would be worth now.

meako, Cutfinger and Prester John like this.
  2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I woke up at 2:00 a.m. to do that. But only the first time. :thumbsup:

Misplaced Hillbilly, meako and JohnDF like this.
  3. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Two years in a row I've gone somewhere at opening time and they're not open. I can see them in there, the lights are on-

4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Hands-down, the best Clint Eastwood movie was Unforgiven.

5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    All enjoyable choices! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
    But what about the "other" Eastwood? I liked several movies where he seemed somewhat "out of character": Paint Your Wagon is a favorite, and I liked both Play Misty for Me and Million Dollar Baby.

- GT

6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I've always enjoyed watching Eastwood as an actor, but I also think he's a great director :thumbsup:

7. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    My favorite is High Plains Drifter.

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It was my favorite for years. :cool::thumbsup:
    But then Pale Rider took its place, and eventually Unforgiven became my favorite.

9. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I made a couple of what I called squirrel-hammers, long ago, on a similar principle. I'm looking for a good rabbit stick branch now.

redsparrow, sitflyer and Jack Black like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Did the squirrel-hammers work Jer? When I was a boy, we had a neighbour who was a park-keeper. He would only have been around 30, but he always carried what he called his rabbiting-stick (basically just a walking stick). I'm pretty sure he never brought anything home for the pot though :D :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  11. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I never tried those squirrel hammers. They might still be in the garage somewhere.
    Like Les Stroud in the desert. Though to be fair, he never saw a rabbit, so we can't blame him for missing. [I love the way, in every episode, he would say, "The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt an animal". Must be why he crushes rodents instead of packing a lunch.]
    I found my Ellsworth Jaeger reference to Hopi rabbit sticks (curved or bent and about as long as your forearm), and went through Stone's Glossary for throwing sticks. They seem to divide into flattish blade-like ones, usually curved; and knob-ended straight ones.
    I was hoping my Old English Sports would mention squoyling, but no.

[I can't find my squirrel hammers, which proves nothing, but I may have thrown them out or burned them.]

Jack Black likes this.
  12. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I've just been out shooting with the pastor. We had to share his rifle because I don't remember the cunning hiding place of my trigger-lock keys. Sad.
    A clock key might do it.

Cutfinger and Jack Black like this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I've got a couple of old sporting books I'll have to check out Jer :thumbsup: I did a Leisure Studies degree back in the 80's, and that covered loads of old interesting old sports and pastimes, but it didn't include anything about squirrel-hunting. I had a great book, published back in the early 20th century, with advice on hunting, cooking, and eating just about everything that crawls, flies, walks, or grows. Sadly, I no longer have it, and don't know the title (I just had a reprint) :( :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I took the priest! ;) :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

WHT, meako, sitflyer and 3 others like this.
  15. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Those are cool.
    Fortunately, my trigger lock was barely engaged, and I managed to twist it off. If I can find a longer bolt of this pitch and diameter, I can dispense with the key.
    [​IMG]

meako, Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  16. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Funny something so popular can be forgotten so quickly.

Cutfinger and Jack Black like this.
  17. Trvr

Trvr

Jun 21, 2020
    I switched to combination trigger locks after I lost the keys to my lock the day before deer season opened. Luckily I was shooting a lever back then and I was able to get through the cable with my Leatherman.

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Yeah, look at pocket knives...:( :thumbsup:

19. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Josey Wales #1

and who could forget Zardoz?

20. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Wait a minute. Somehow we got from Connery to Eastwood. Are you back to Connery with Zardoz? Is that the one where Connery wears a red diaper and a walrus mustache to lead bandits of the future against nude British women behind a force-field? And in the end he and Charlotte Rampling die and rot in a cave?

A classic.