"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I used to know an Irish feller in Sheffield who had a very large shaggy German Shepherd named Flint. Flint was very friendly, but he looked like a lupine man-eater! :D The feller (whose name currently escapes me, as names often do these days) would walk into a pub, letting the door swing open as he did so. Shortly behind would follow Flint, loping into the pub with his tongue hanging out. The barman would inevitably say, "I'm sorry mate, you can't bring dogs in here."
The Irishman would reply, "Oh, it's not my dog, it just followed me in."
Typically, the barman would say, sceptically, "Well it seems to like you."
"Well sure it does," the Irishman would reply, "Give us a half, and I'll get rid of it for you."
The barman would pull the half pint. The Irishman would drink his beer. Then he'd turn round and walk out, with Flint following loyally behind, all the way to the next pub! ;)

Hope you had a nice PI Day GT.

Harry
Thanks, Harry. :) It was an enjoyable day; I was working all day with a couple of dozen local elementary school teachers on ways to teach mathematics more effectively, and managed to find a way to bring in Pi Day and show them Rachel's scrimshaw, since it's pi-relevant :p
qO81Zdul.jpg

This morning coming home from taking my girls to school there was a flock of wild turkey's crossing the road that stopped traffic for about 10 minutes. I counted and there were 14 of them. They were big and fat and taking their on time. I tried to take a picture with my phone but it did not come out. Made my day I do enjoy the wild life around here. Over the 30 some years I've lived here I have saw so many different animals from coons and possums to foxes, deer and black bears I just couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Sounds like a very enjoyable experience, Randy! :cool: By coincidence, I was recently looking at a bunch of Wild Turkey Peanuts in a variety of intriguing handle materials (horn of buffalo, ram, ox, and bull; some interesting woods); know anything about the quality of this knife brand (I think it's a Frost subsidiary, since they were in a catalog from that Foggy Hill Cutlery Factory (or whatever it's called) in Tennessee)?
It's cool that you get to witness all that wildlife. I live in the city, so about all I see in my back yard are squirrels, rabbits, skunks, and the occasional possum.

An incredible story Paul, and very nicely told , if I may say so :) Thanks for sharing it here :thumbup:
+5K! :thumbup::thumbup: Fascinating story, Paul! You should find a way to tie in your Rolls Royce work with your knife-making (although everything I think of along those lines probably violates all kinds of trademark and/or copyright laws).

Carl, I've a joke for ye.

A man stopped by the pub, it was a dark and stormy night. Outside the pub, stood an old Irishman, looking somber as he held a string above a puddle. Taking pity on him, the man said "Say, old timer, come in with me and I'll buy you a drink." As they were sitting dry inside, the man jokingly asked the old timer how many he'd caught that day.

"You're the eighth" the old man replied...

My father and uncle want to give it a try... I guess that's what comes of Pole/Lithuanians marrying Irish girls.

Please throw up some good vibes/good thoughts/smoke and prayers for my uncle, his cancer had gone into remission and is now back and very aggressive.
Good joke, Dan! :D
Sorry to hear about the downturn in your uncle's health. :( I'll try to keep him (and you and your entire family) in my prayers.

- GT

+5K! :thumbup::thumbup: Fascinating story, Paul! You should find a way to tie in your Rolls Royce work with your knife-making (although everything I think of along those lines probably violates all kinds of trademark and/or copyright laws).

Yeah Paul, if RR start referring to their cars as 'The Paul Mason of Limousines', it'll be time to get the lawyers in! ;) :thumbup:

I used to know an Irish feller in Sheffield who had a very large shaggy German Shepherd named Flint. Flint was very friendly, but he looked like a lupine man-eater! :D The feller (whose name currently escapes me, as names often do these days) would walk into a pub, letting the door swing open as he did so. Shortly behind would follow Flint, loping into the pub with his tongue hanging out. The barman would inevitably say, "I'm sorry mate, you can't bring dogs in here."
The Irishman would reply, "Oh, it's not my dog, it just followed me in."
Typically, the barman would say, sceptically, "Well it seems to like you."
"Well sure it does," the Irishman would reply, "Give us a half, and I'll get rid of it for you."
The barman would pull the half pint. The Irishman would drink his beer. Then he'd turn round and walk out, with Flint following loyally behind, all the way to the next pub! ;)

I'm going to have to tell my father and my uncle that one. My other uncle that's bad off would love that story too. I think my one uncle tried it already ;)...

Thanks for the prayers everyone, he needs them.

Carl, let me know if you want something extra to put in your pocket next year ;)

I'm going to have to tell my father and my uncle that one. My other uncle that's bad off would love that story too. I think my one uncle tried it already ;)...

Feel free to share it Dan, I saw him do it on more than one occasion - Sheffield has a LOT of pubs!

Well it worked for Raymond (his name just came to me) countless times, and I guess the old ones are the best! ;) :D :thumbup:

I might try it with my brother! No dog, just the brother! ;) :D :thumbup:

Dan,
prayers for your uncle (this time from your side of the Atlantic ocean :p)

Paul,
very interesting story indeed. Now, next time I drive my Wraith, I'll look at your work ;)

Jack,
someday I'll fly to Sheffield so that you can thrill me with more pub stories :)

Fausto
:cool:

I'm looking at Case knife opener/picks at the fly bay but I am not sure if I should spend more on shipping than on the thing itself. :D
Do anyone of you gentlemen have better pics than the stock photos? Worth getting one? I'm asking because I will soon reunite with GEC elephant toenail I traded away about five years ago but I remember it had absolutely ridiculous spring tension. :D

Hello Paul, that's an excelent account and testament to your many artistic skills.:thumbup:

I don't have a Roller but when my Bentley's winged B mascot gets a little worn or somebody tries to nick it (again..) I'll know who to turn to :D:D:cool:

Thanks, Will

IMG_3315.jpg

Good Irish joke, Dan.!:thumbup::thumbup:

He's one for ya;

A good Irish bloke was walking down the street in London. He'd been over on a contract labor job, and was about to go home, but he was short of money. He'd killed off part of his payday in a pub the night before, so he was a fiver short.

Seeing a very well dressed English gentleman walking down the sidewalk in his direction, the Irishman decided to try for a loan.

"Excuse me good sir, I'm trying to go home to my native Ireland, and I would if you could loan me a fiver to pay my way?" said the Irishman.

The prober Englishman looked the Irishman over very carefully, head to toe.

"All you need is a fiver to get you back home?" the Englishman asked.

"Yes sir, just a fiver and I'll be on me way." said the irishmen.

The Englishman opened his wallet and took out a 20 pound note, and handed it to the stunned Irishman.

"Here, take a few of your friends with you!" said the Englishman. "And don't worry about paying me back!"

A ventriloquist is telling Irish jokes in Davy Byrne's pub in Grafton Street, Dublin, when, O'Leary, an irate Irishman stands up shouting, 'You're making out we're all dumb and stupid. I oughtta punch you in the nose.'
'I'm sorry sir, I...........'

'Not you,' says O'Leary, 'I'm talking to that little fella on your knee.'

An Irishman, by the name of O'Malley proposed to his girl on St. Patrick's Day. He gave her a ring with a synthetic diamond. The excited young lass showed it to her father, a jeweller. He took one look at it and saw it wasn't real.
The young lass on learning it wasn't real returned to her future husband. She protested vehemently about his cheapness.

'It was in honour of St. Patrick's Day, 'he smiled.

'I gave you a sham rock.'

Back