Carry multiple knives or a knife with multiple blades? Why?

Carry at least two knives that serve and fuction for different situations. Always a minimum of two because what if I loose one, break one or need to lend one in an emergency situation.

Truth be told, a peanut will do just about all the cutting I need in a day. Still, I carry two or three or sometimes four knives, because I like them and because I can. If I have my phone in my pocket, too, I might surprise myself with whatever knife I pull out.

In a typical day, the little Channellocks I carry will get more use than any knife. I will loan it too, to a coworker who happens to know I have it. I won’t do that with any knife, since we are not supposed to carry them.

Most of the time I only carry one knife but I have been known to carry two. Say, a Griptilian and an Alox Cadet.
Or, a Kershaw Zing and a Gerber MP 400. I could even see a need for a fixed blade and an Alox Pioneer under the right conditions.

The one thing that I normally carry alone is my Leatherman Wave. It's like carrying a brick.

I carry an EDC folder for everyday stuff. I also carry one of two fixed blades for the express purpose of protecting my hide. Nobody that is near me might ever know the fixed blade is there. It is more of a sidearm, or SHTF tool. Not for opening boxes, cutting food, not for show.

IMG_2618.jpg

CwfsAIjh.jpg

Folder + Esquire/Classic, every day for a few years now.

The Esquire is my tape buster, goo scraper, thread snipper, file, tweezers, mini pry (happens surprisingly often), etc. That keeps my folder free from adhesive residue.

My folder cutscardboard, plastic, etc.

I always carry two. One, my main carry, serves mainly as my secondary self defense tool and occasionally as a mundane instrument for opening packages and the like.

Being that I carry very expensive primary knives, I carry a SAK to spare my primary from the lowly tasks. ;)

What i usually carry, my main knife for me to use. One key chain small folder to not scare people and to lend, and a mini prybar attached so they won't use my knife to pry things with.

gF4Pohg.jpg

What i usually carry, my main knife for me to use. One key chain small folder to not scare people and to lend, and a mini prybar attached so they won't use my knife to pry things with.

gF4Pohg.jpg

Which little spyderco is that

I'd much rather carry two, or what I'm doing at work, three, knives than one with several. Mainly because I hate nailnicks.

I love knives and all, but usually carry just one. Whichever seems fitting for what I'll be doing that day or activity.

Multiple single blade knives is what I prefer.
At least one blade, fixed or folder of about four inches for cutting though larger wads of stuff.
Usually one of these
View attachment 977963

One blade about three inches for more control when detail cutting; often a Warrencliff blade shape is good here.
View attachment 977964

One about three inches of extra tough steel such as M4 for cutting the challenging abrasive stuff I have to cut most work days. Usually one of these. This can take the place of #2 I suppose though so far I don't have a knife in M4 with the superior handle shape of the one above.
View attachment 977965

Then I carry a Mini Champ SAK that has thin, extra narrow tiny blades for cutting small curves. The other blades don't stick up like a larger multi blade so it works for me (has a light and a ball point pen and tiny scissors too). The tiny blue knife in this photo.
View attachment 977966

Usually to this I add my Cold Steel Razelized Ti Lite in CTS-XHP for really tough cutting; think hammering the blade through a hunk of mild steel wire or deburing mild steel and aluminum parts. Shown here with one of my rotation EDCs for lighter cutting and food.
View attachment 977968

Then my Grail or rotation of the day usually reserved for light cutting such as plastic bags, food containers and food.
View attachment 977967

Of course I'm not all that into knives and like to keep things simple.
If I were really into this knife hobby thing I might carry a couple of more.
Like a Marlin spike sailor's knife for untying tough knots and a super thin knife with super thin geometry for super clean slicing of say . . . rubber tubing.
A dedicated box knife like the one with the tiny blue knife so I don't have to get box tape glue on my other knives.
Oh . . . wait . . . I carry those every day to in my "man purse".
anyway I hear dinner calling and a movie
gottago.

M4 must be really though for daily cutting challenging abrasive stuff to leave zero marks at all! I will be looking into M4.

gF4Pohg.jpg
Neat idea to have the pry bar but, I know of people that would still use the blade. Just plain crazy to do that, I know, but, they would just the same. Same sort of people that would use a knife as a screwdriver even though they have a multi-tool available.

For me it comes down to 3 questions when I'm grabbing my knife/knives for the day.

1) Where I'm going.
2) What I'm doing
3) What I'm wearing

One day I might be carrying a SAK and a folder. The next I might be carrying a Leatherman Wave and a fixed blade. The next I might have just a stockman.

I know that seems like a generic answer, but for me deciding what knives to carry for the day adds to part of the fun when making/adding to my knife collection. The diversity factor.

I carry too many knives, only because I can. I like a self-defensive blade (or two), a thin-bladed knife, a smaller "gentleman's" knife, and some type of auto/OTF to play with, and a multitool. I'm the perfect definition of "too many".

I just noticed, I need to switch out to a good sheep's foot or wharncliffe!

As far as knives go, my EDC goes like this:
Clip knife: A Spyderco or a CRK.
R. Front pocket: Victorinox Executive SAK.
L. Cargo pocket: Either a Victorinox Pioneer or Spartan SAK, depending on my mood or intended uses.

I always have 2 SAKs on me, because each has features I find very useful that the other doesn't have, and they each have uses beyond what a knife blade can do (or do very well). I carry the clip knife for more substantial cutting chores. Having an SAK in addition to a single-bladed clip knife means if I need to open a can or a bottle, I can use the appropriate tool instead of using the blade on my clip knife for something it wasn't really meant for. I've seen youtube videos where someone shows how to open a can with a Spyderco or other knife, and they try to impress the viewer if the blade has minimal damage to the tip or edge. The can opener on my SAK can accomplish that without any damage much faster, cleaner, easier and safer than any high-dollar, single-bladed, one-hand-opening knife blade can. The premise is always if the knife is the only tool on you. Well, if you habitually carry a SAK, that will also always be on you. In such a "your only tool" scenario, you're just as likely to be without your clip knife as your SAK or multi-tool.

The large blade on my SAK is usually reserved for things like fruit. The small SAK blade is used for things like packages, and for when using discretion when using a knife around others, such as in a public place.

Jim

Last edited:
I've always wondered what the rationale is for carrying multiple knives
Because two is one and one is none.

As others have touched upon, if you lose or break a knife on an outing, you might be up a body of water without the proverbial implement of propulsion.

This goes for hardcore basement ninja tacticlol operators but also for us ordinary folks on a camping/hiking/kayaking trip etc.
For some this also pertains to EDC.

Always fun to hear of the different ways people approach the problem.

My solution...

Right Rear Pocket (with small vertical seam added): Large traditional folder (e.g. Opinel 9, Buck 110, Case Large Sodbuster)
Right Front Pocket: Leatherman Micra
Day Pack: Leatherman Multitool with pliers

99% of my daily tasks are covered by teh Micra and large folder. There are just so many things a Micra will do that a simple knife won't. The small pen blade is a bonus and useful in many situations.

I don't get it for EDC. I get it for Outdoor/Camping (one folder+one large fixed).
I carry one folder for work daily, serves me well. If you want to carry three knives more power to you, but if you complain about a knife being too heavy I will call you out :p

tOvP01f.jpg

I used to have a small Alox Minichamp on my keyring as secondary non threatening small knife, in addition to whatever large-isch blade I have in my pocket. I swapped my wallet to a hardside minimalist wallet some time ago, and now I have a Swisscard Lite in there. It free'd my keys from the Minichamp.
A91dFVV.jpg

My EDC is usually pretty minimal
eeYG5h5.jpg

Back