Carrying a Fixed Blade in Public

:
There's a lot of good answers here.

Whenever and every time I go out I carry a Marble's Woodcraft and a Leatherman Super Tool next to one another on my belt, strong side.

However I am a 60 year old rather heavy and short, 5'9" American Indian that carries and uses a 4 1/2 foot walking stick, that and my hair in braids and leather hair ties draws more attention than the FB knife sheath sticking out from under my t-shirt.
And living in Oklahoma which has a very large Indian population I really don't attract that much attention.

I have carried the same when vacationing in Pennsylvania, Arizona and Nevada with no problems. (There are places where I would be much more discreet however.
smile.gif
)

I believe as it's already been said that age and image has a lot to do with how many problems one may have carrying a fixed blade.

I would also say that "attitude" would also have a lot to do with it as well.
I am sure that even with my innocuous looks an apparent "attitude" would bring me unwanted attention.

And if I was asked by a LEO if I had any weapons I would reply, "No, but I do have a knife and a multi-tool to compliment it."
And when asked why I was carrying these items my answer would be much like Steve's well thought out reply.
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

I live in Florida and have carried a knife on my belt for 25 years, the last 8 one of my making.I am nener seen without a knife on my belt.My normal carry blades range from 2"-6", and I have never had a problem from a LEO execpt to try and beat me down on a price of one my knives.I think its a matter of how you carry yourself. Dave

It's legal to carry a fixed blade OPENLY, in NJ.
BUT..... you WILL get the attention of LEOs and the general public and that's still a PITA (Pain in the ass).
Just like here in Nevada, while it's legal to carry a pistol in plain view on public streets, to attempt to do so while walking down the Vegas strip will get you busted for disturbing the peace or something....

You're better off with a blade that ain't showing, so long as you don't say anything stupid like "It's for self defense" if a cop asks why you have it.
Saying "The voices told me that I'll find a magical rabbit soon, and by chopping its leg off to make a magical lucky rabbit's foot to ward off the demon leprachuan from Dublin" might or might not get you a free pass.
never did for me, but then again, whenever I used that line, I was always naked, swigging tequilla out of a hooker's sneaker.....

Hmmm... think I lost track of myself again...
Anyways.... enjoy rehab!
VG

------------------
Vampire Gerbil: Nosferatus Rodentus Moderatus; similar to a domestic gerbil, except for the odd accent and little black cape.
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Odd Pictures at Photopoint
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Manifesto of Madness and Optical Illusions
- - - - - - - - - - - -
The Deadly and Scary Leatherman Micra InstructionalWebsite.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
The Ballistic Knife (a/k/a "The Knife That Shoots) in Action
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Lorena Bobbitski's Cyber-Sex Torture Page
- - - - - - - - - - - -
The Official VG Smiley, Courtesy of Wulfiepooface

Here in the REAL New York (Upstate) it is common to see many people carrying knives or multitools while engaged in legitimate, peaceful activities (work, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc.) Those people are rarely noticed by LEO's. It's when their activities, behavior, and demeanor suggest less than peaceful intent that they may come under scrutiny. Here is an excerpt from the NYS Penal Law in relationship:

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:
(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles,
chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
(2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto, imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another....

Clearly; carrying switchblades, gravity knives, metal knuckle knives is outside the scope of the law. Carrying a double edged blade (dagger or dirk) can get you into some hot water. And while any knife can be construed as a dangerous knife, it will be the totality of the circumstances surrounding your activity and behaviors when stopped and questioned that will be taken into consideration by the LEO to determine your INTENT. Without INTENT to use the knife unlawfully, there is no crime.

NYC has more restrictive local ordinances which require a blade or 4" or less and that the knife be carried concealed (so as not to cause unnecessary alarm or annoyance.)

So, going about your daily routines with a knife / multitool seems to be perfectly legal (with the exceptions of gov't buildings and schoolgrounds.) However, when your activities, behavior, and demeanor come under scrutiny, so will your knife. Probably not a good idea to go to the mall with 4 or 5 buddies, all dressed similarly in fad fashion clothing, acting intimidating to others, using common street slang, gestures, and handsignals, while wearing your favorite tactical blade.

Bottom line here seems to be Know and follow your local laws / ordinances.

[This message has been edited by sgtmike88 (edited 11-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sgtmike88 (edited 11-30-2000).]

I have been carrying varous 3" to 3.5" Fixed blades as my daily carry for some time now.

The keys to carrying these knives without hassle seem to be the same as for folders:

Try to choose less threatening designs.

Dress and carry yourself in a Non-Threatening manner.

Carry discretely but not concealed.

Use the knife for peaceful purposes in public to demystify it.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Back