Case & Bill Ruple Collaboration

I plan to try to handle it at the show. It doesn't strike me as a must have particularly even though I am a Ruple fan, but it's extremely exciting to see these collabs come to fruition. The copy does call it "the first of what promises to be a series..." so maybe we will get a Lanny's, two-bladed trapper, BP, something less daring ;)
I would definitely be in for a Eureka Jack.

It looks to me that the back end of that “Axe Handle” would not feel very nice poking into your hand when using the knife. Tony Bose always said he wanted everything rounded off, nothing to cause a hot spot. But I have to admit that I am a Bose man and never really warmed up to Ruple. So please keep that in mind. Ruple does some things that Tony would never have done, and I believe that is showing up in this knife.

That's what the msrp was for the Case/Bose collaborations.
That’s news to me, most of mine still have the price labels on the boxes and were far less. I realize they go for more on the outlet and auction sites now though..

He's set out to make something different and to make his mark, who can blame him after having to follow on from Tony Bose ? However, it looks rather awkward and unexciting, not blown away by the anaemic colour scale choice either, will there be others ? .

For fans of a large knife with unusual design it will do well, for others like me, not at all.

He's set out to make something different and to make his mark, who can blame him after having to follow on from Tony Bose ? However, it looks rather awkward and unexciting, not blown away by the anaemic colour scale choice either, will there be others ? .

For fans of a large knife with unusual design it will do well, for others like me, not at all.
I have loved many of Ruple's designs, but I agree with you, Will. This one leaves me cold.

Looking at a simple "flat, top shot" photo doesn't really tell you much. If I remember correctly, the first Case/Bose release wasn't much to look at either.
Bill and Tony are two different people. Expecting one to pick up the others style isn't very rational.
I can always recognize one of Bill's knives from the slight "swoop" of the spine in his master blades. I call it a "Ruple Flare". Bill told me he'd have a hard time
making a master blade without it. We'll see how Case handles that and the filed back springs. A real challenge for a semi-production line.
There was a shortlived production made Ruple Trapper and Bill wasn't happy with the outcome at all. Don't remember who produced it but it was a one time shot that seemed to
be a complete failure. Nothing about it looked like a Ruple. They just wanted his name on it.
Hopefully this thing with Case will turn out well.
Greg

Last edited:
We'll see how Case handles that and the filed back springs. A real challenge for a semi-production line.
Bill's file work is very good!! I wonder how Case will handle it???

Looking at a simple "flat, top shot" photo doesn't really tell you much. If I remember correctly, the first Case/Bose release wasn't much to look at either.
Bill and Tony are two different people. Expecting one to pick up the others style isn't very rational.
I can always recognize one of Bill's knives from the slight "swoop" of the spine in his master blades. I call it a "Ruple Flare". Bill told me he'd have a hard time
making a master blade without it. We'll see how Case handles that and the filed back springs. I real challenge for a semi-production line.
There was a shortlived production made Ruple Trapper and Bill wasn't happy with the outcome at all. Don't remember who produced it but it was a one time shot that seemed to
be a complete failure. Nothing about it looked like a Ruple. They just wanted his name on it.
Hopefully this thing with Case will turn out well.
Greg
I don't think that's the expectation here. Mr. Bose made versions of his custom patterns and here Mr. Ruple has contributed to one of his. I agree with you regarding the file work.
Shepherd Hills has prices up and preorder. I’m out at those prices. Good luck to everyone!
I actually like this pattern in the jigged bone now having seen those.

Back