Case knife quality

If i explain my circumstances most dealers will gladly inspect a knife before sending. But i have been very happy overall with my Case purchases.:)
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this statement. Whether an international purchase or not when possible a conversation with a dealer can save allot of hassle. Especially with a honest one who cares for their customers. Even if its an unknown dealer and who may be on the shady side, once they know you have certain expectations of quality they're less likely to send a sub-par product. It is also a good idea when possible to shop a product specific dealer to imo. Say I order a Case from Collector Knives I feel I'd have a good chance of getting a good one. One because I feel Mike cares about his customer base, and two, Mike being a fellow "knife guy" knows what we expect. Contrast that to ordering a Case from Amazon or Walmart where some random employees are just pulling boxes with the right number on it and shipping without ever looking at the product they ship out. They may not intentionally sending you a dud, but to them your much anticipated stag mini trapper is just order 3346721 and needs packed and gone before 4pm and its already 3:55 o_O

Oh and the Amazon/Walmart employee even if asked to inspect the knife may not know didly squat about a pocket knife, and as long as a knife is in the box it looks good to them so ship it!

Contrast that to ordering a Case from Amazon or Walmart where some random employees are just pulling boxes with the right number on it and shipping without ever looking at the product they ship out. They may not intentionally sending you a dud, but to them your much anticipated stag mini trapper is just order 3346721 and needs packed and gone before 4pm and its already 3:55 o_O
That my friend is why if i can, would rather support small shops/dealers than a huge chain, and i'm prepared to pay more for the service. You are dealing with people who usually run their own business and have to look after their customer base, otherwise they will not cut it in the commercial world. And a person who makes their living from selling and servicing a product is actually going to know about that product. There is a company that supports the forum, so i can name them, DLT Trading, i just purchased 2 Case knives from them, and nothing was too much trouble, arrived well packaged for the trip, everything about the purchase was hassle free, and most importantly, received 2 excellent quality Case knives.:):):).

Case knives are users. Some have almost perfect fit and finish like my chestnut bone teardrop others are just so-so. I have a beautiful limited edition white delrin full Congress but Case screwed up and over and unevenly sharpened all the blades. It was shipped to me as a gift and didn’t want to disappoint the giver so as bad as it is I kept it. It’s a shame because the small coping blade is near useless and so is the small pen blade. Love my trappers and slim line trappers. They are my go-to user knives of choice.

Over the years I’ve owned many Case knives. Some were new or mint when I got them, many were pre owned. Most had some minor flaw if you looked and knit picked hard enough. I have some made pre 1964 that were used when I got them. I have used them for years. They are still tight and walk and talk. My point is they were made to use and last if used properly and not abused. I think Case knives will hold up to use and last longer than some of the less expensive knives available today. Sure they may cost a little more, but they are worth it. I like vintage knives best. If you’ve never owned a 1970s or older Case knife, you should try one. I expect you will be pleased.

Oh and the Amazon/Walmart employee even if asked to inspect the knife may not know didly squat about a pocket knife, and as long as a knife is in the box it looks good to them so ship it!

Valid point. Also, these employees might actually get reprimanded for 'time wasting' such are the rigid & draconian working-practices in these kind of places. Don't think, just do etc :rolleyes:

You mean like Brown on one side and Black on the other? :D

thats just absolutely one sweet looking knife. JMHO with the advent of the internet every sob and his brother has become an expert on every thing and finding smallest minuet fault to piss moan and cry about. Dose anyone remember when we went to the local feed, hardware, drug store bought a pocket knife and used it like hell? 45 plus years ago a bought my 1st pocket knife (that was not given to me as a hand-me-down) a Western 854. The center pin is not flush and sticks out a fair bit. I have carried this knife almost daily ever since and this "flaw" has NEVER CAUSED ONE PROBLEM!

Case Peanut was one of my first “real” knife purchases, and I still love that little pink peanut in CV. I got on the Barlow bandwagon late (like this summer late) and frantically searched the interwebs for any CV blades still available. I found a yellow delrin one that I adore, but now one of the bolsters is pulling up a little. Everything else is amazing: pull, blades, half stops, so I’m just gonna keep using it and loving it.

Maybe in a few months I’ll be back here asking how to reattach a bolster... in the meantime I’m gonna keep using this fantastic knife

Really admirable knife
Thank you. I do love it. :)

Ed has shown his immense generosity
Quoted for truth. :cool::thumbsup:

thats just absolutely one sweet looking knife.
Thank you. :)

Dose anyone remember when we went to the local feed, hardware, drug store bought a pocket knife and used it like hell?
I remember those days fondly.
Sadly, around my area it's getting harder to find stores that even carry knives any more.

every sob and his brother has become an expert on every thing and finding smallest minuet fault to piss moan and cry about.
I can be a bit this way myself, depending on what I pay for a knife.
If the knife costs me less, I'm less worried about small fit and finish issues and they become "users".
If the knife costs close to $100 or more, I expect better quality from them. If it's $300 or more, I expect perfection.

someone said "not enough pics".... soooo..... here's another pic of Case quality...
humpback half-whittler, 62046 1/2, in TruSharp steel, and wearing very appropriately named "red bone" scales. This is just a wonderfully made knife. One thing Case does well is the coloring of bone. I haven't really captured the beauty of these scales, but trust me, they are gorgeous, with some of the nicest jigging I've seen on a mass-produced knife. Slanted bolsters, zero gaps at the backsprings, very nicely swedged blades... the only "flaw" is that the secondary pen blade just barely nudges the outer liner at the tip, enough to leave a very tiny smudge at the top edge of the blade. The main clip blade is perfectly centered... this is quality that is difficult to believe from a company that makes more than a million knives a year...

vuhGIMZ.jpg
vqduWZE.jpg

they are gorgeous, with some of the nicest jigging I've seen on a mass-produced knife.
One thing that Case do really well is their bone jigging. No complaints there. And yours is no exception.:cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Valid point. Also, these employees might actually get reprimanded for 'time wasting' such are the rigid & draconian working-practices in these kind of places. Don't think, just do etc :rolleyes:

Dont tempt me.
Dalek voice(rising to angry crescendo):
Employee # X1457643 has sent off a pack age con taini ng a less then per fect art i cle! This means I have failed as a man a ger! The fault is mine and the Da leks do not tol er ate fail ure! I must there fore ten der my re sig nat ion and ex termin ate my self!

Never had a bad Case.:D

Back