Case Mini FINN – Opinions?

This weekend at the farmers market I noticed that a young woman behind one of the stalls was wearing a small stacked leather fixed bladed knife that looked to be about bird and trout sized. I asked her who made it and was surprised to hear that it was Case: I hadn't realized that they offer stacked leather handles.

Doing some research afterward, I'm pretty sure that it was the Mini FINN model. It looks like a nice little knife, but I've found very few examples of showing up here. Anyone have one and care to share an opinion? Or, perhaps, compare and contrast with other knives of a similar size?

I inherited a Case Twin Finn set from my father-in-law. I don't carry it, as I'm not a hunter and have no need for multiple fixed blades. But I have used the Mini Finn to clean trout, and it works very well.

I personally prefer the slightly larger and convex ground Hess Whitetail, as it's a bit more versatile. But carbon steel might not be your preference.

87sLGVph.jpg

I've got a Western Cutlery stacked leather knife... it's easily my favorite sized fixed blade for a "do-everything" knife. I would feel completely comfortable using it deer/hog hunting, or just about anything else I would normally use a knife for. This one may be larger than the Case you are talking about... I'll have to goober it to see what the dimensions are....

edit: Buzzbait beat me to it. That's a nice looking handle on that knife.. I'll see if I can find pics of the blade...

western%20small_zps3ud3ynma.jpg

I inherited a Case Twin Finn set from my father-in-law. I don't carry it, as I'm not a hunter and have no need for multiple fixed blades. But I have used the Mini Finn to clean trout, and it works very well.

I personally prefer the slightly larger and convex ground Hess Whitetail, as it's a bit more versatile. But carbon steel might not be your preference.

87sLGVph.jpg

Thanks, Buzz. That’s a beautiful twin set. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the comparison to the Hess Whitetail. I have one—thanks in large part to your influence, I might add—and using it as a base reference is very helpful. I thought the Mini FINN looked a bit smaller and your comparison confirmed that impression.

My preference is carbon steel, FWIW. The TruSharp steel used for the Mini FINN would not be my first choice, but wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I decided I wanted one.

I've got a Western Cutlery stacked leather knife... it's easily my favorite sized fixed blade for a "do-everything" knife. I would feel completely comfortable using it deer/hog hunting, or just about anything else I would normally use a knife for. This one may be larger than the Case you are talking about... I'll have to goober it to see what the dimensions are....

edit: Buzzbait beat me to it. That's a nice looking handle on that knife.. I'll see if I can find pics of the blade...

western%20small_zps3ud3ynma.jpg

It’s funny, between you and Buzz you’ve covered both of the bird and trout knives in my collection. :) Is that the L48A? I have a Western L48B, which is very similar

Last edited:
I really don't know which model it is. I haven't been able to find any kind of marking on it. I just say it's an L48 something....

I don't really know what denotes an A or B... I've seen some others with metal handles, but I don't know what models those were, either.

I don't have one, but if the Case has the hollow grind, behind the edge, it may be a better slicer overall. That's one thing about most of Case's knives that's a very nice advantage, both in terms of cutting and in ease of sharpening (thinner grind means less metal removal and much quicker sharpening).

I do have an old 1960s/70s-vintage Western L48A. Given to me by my Dad when I was young. I like the knife, but it was VERY thick behind the edge, and also with a pretty wide edge angle to boot. Only in recent years have I taken the time to thin it out behind the edge to make it cut the way I like. It was a lot of work to get it there.

I really don't know which model it is. I haven't been able to find any kind of marking on it. I just say it's an L48 something....

I don't really know what denotes an A or B... I've seen some others with metal handles, but I don't know what models those were, either.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

I don't have one, but if the Case has the hollow grind, behind the edge, it may be a better slicer overall. That's one thing about most of Case's knives that's a very nice advantage, both in terms of cutting and in ease of sharpening (thinner grind means less metal removal and much quicker sharpening).

I do have an old 1960s/70s-vintage Western L48A. Given to me by my Dad when I was young. I like the knife, but it was VERY thick behind the edge, and also with a pretty wide edge angle to boot. Only in recent years have I taken the time to thin it out behind the edge to make it cut the way I like. It was a lot of work to get it there.

They say it has a concave grind, which I take to mean the same thing as hollow grind.

I also put a more acute edge on my L48B when I was cleaning it up after purchasing it in used and mildly neglected state. I haven't put it to much use, but it does seem to slice well now.

I cleaned my first deer with one and it worked just fine.
Like a wise man once said it doesn't have to be big just sharp. It's a classic pattern and a handy knife.

Thanks for the testimonial. And, very true. :thumbsup: :)

Look down the backside of the blade at the guard , that's where they were stamped from I think '68-'72 or something. . I've got an f48a ( stacked fiber washers ) the 48b is much smaller and doesn't have a fuller in the blade.
You just might see f48a stamped into the guard.

The little Finn pattern of knife was in its heyday in the 1950's. from my cobwebbed memory banks, Case, Western, Kabar, were the largest makers of the pattern. It casein a few sizes, but most of what I saw was the smaller ones.

In my childhood and early adolescence, I spent a lot of time down on Marylands eastern shore with my grandfolks. They were working watermen and small field farmers near the mouth of the Choptank river. Granddad had me working on the boat in the mornings, but afternoons were mine and if I was lucky, I would go down to the local general store, where the front porch was a meeting place for the worst shiftless, chicken thieving, game poaching, hard drinking reprobates in the county. I loved it. They were the old pro's when it came to hunting, trapping, and poaching. The little Finn pattern was the most popular among them. Case and Western were about equally represented.

The 1960's saw the pattern fade a bit, and more modern designs and materials slowly took over the market. But none them really got the hide off a muskrat or out of season deer any better.

Look down the backside of the blade at the guard , that's where they were stamped from I think '68-'72 or something. . I've got an f48a ( stacked fiber washers ) the 48b is much smaller and doesn't have a fuller in the blade.
You just might see f48a stamped into the guard.
I've looked all over the brass guard, even polished it off some, and there is nothing stamped anywhere on it. I'm bumfuzzled....

One of my clients uses an old Westen Cutlery Mini Finn as a utility knife in the barn. It's in rough shape but I've cleaned it up a bit for her. Someday I'll offer her something in trade, but for now it's her go to for hay bales, supplement packages, and meds. Good little knife.

Zieg

Yeah... my L48 is my garage/yard knife. It's called on to do a little of everything.

The little Finn pattern of knife was in its heyday in the 1950's. from my cobwebbed memory banks, Case, Western, Kabar, were the largest makers of the pattern. It casein a few sizes, but most of what I saw was the smaller ones.

In my childhood and early adolescence, I spent a lot of time down on Marylands eastern shore with my grandfolks. They were working watermen and small field farmers near the mouth of the Choptank river. Granddad had me working on the boat in the mornings, but afternoons were mine and if I was lucky, I would go down to the local general store, where the front porch was a meeting place for the worst shiftless, chicken thieving, game poaching, hard drinking reprobates in the county. I loved it. They were the old pro's when it came to hunting, trapping, and poaching. The little Finn pattern was the most popular among them. Case and Western were about equally represented.

The 1960's saw the pattern fade a bit, and more modern designs and materials slowly took over the market. But none them really got the hide off a muskrat or out of season deer any better.

Thank you for this. I appreciate the historical context and personal color.

The letter is the date code. :)
I think the "A" was 1977 with "B" being 1978.
I know my L66D was made in 1980.

The Metal & Fiber (silver and black washers) handled "Black Beauty" knives had an "F" before the model number. "W" was wood, and "L" Leather.
I don't know all the model numbers, but I do know the model 66 could be had with wood (W66) Leather (L66) and Metal & Fiber (F66) handles.

I purchased a Case M-3 Finn and the Kabar version a couple of years ago. I like them both very much. The Kabar version is a bit longer in the blade than the Case. Steels seem comparable stainless and came from the manufacturer very sharp. I don't really use either one for rough cutting. I'm not a huge fan of the supplied sheath for the Case. It secures the knife very well but a little cumbersome for me to draw the knife and replace. I also pocket carry it quite a bit. I plan on getting a new sheath, maybe custom made when I get around to it. In my worthless opinion, I think anyone could find either of these, or any of similar sized knives to be useful, whether you were a hunter or just an outdoorsman.

Afishhunter, you are correct about the date code dates, but the A or B in the model number tang stamp, i.e. F48B, is not a date code. The date code was always separate from the model number stamp. Notice this L66 below, with the date code H (1984) stamped below the rest of the tang stamp, by itself.

D9Vu8Mq.jpg

I have one set aside for the baby boy when he finally gets old, or responsible, enough to carry a fixed blade. I find the handle too small for me but it would be great for those with smaller hands are don't mind a 3-finger grip. It's far from a stout knife but it cuts well. I'm 90% sure it is hollow-ground and sharpens easily being softer stainless, by today's standards. It should make a great knife for the little guy to use and learn with. Really, it's a fine knife for an adult, but I prefer bigger handles and am less in demand for the pronounced guard after having handled knives for a long time.

The letter is the date code. :)
I think the "A" was 1977 with "B" being 1978.
I know my L66D was made in 1980.

The Metal & Fiber (silver and black washers) handled "Black Beauty" knives had an "F" before the model number. "W" was wood, and "L" Leather.
I don't know all the model numbers, but I do know the model 66 could be had with wood (W66) Leather (L66) and Metal & Fiber (F66) handles.

Not in this case.

The A&B in this case just denotes the model, the 48A is the larger of the two and the B smaller.

Back