Case Tony Bose Collabs pic and discussion thread.

@Chief that LB whittler is a great pattern. I like the Norfolk pattern but when I handled one at Blade (the year they were introduced) the main's pull was too heavy and struggled to open the secondary.

Signalprick Signalprick I had to send a dogleg in some years back (pen was sitting too high to access the main nick), got it back in two weeks fixed perfectly. Some patterns are just hard to get right. About the only thing I've seen on the collaborations (that's a peeve of mine) is the ebony covers are not fitted well to the bolsters. I am picky :D

What do you all think of the 2018 Cattleman pattern? The more I see it the more I warm up to it. Looks pretty long though. Also if anyone knows Mr. Bose personally please tell him I'm literally praying that he does his Gunstock pattern for the collaboration one of these years.

Signalprick Signalprick I had to send a dogleg in some years back (pen was sitting too high to access the main nick), got it back in two weeks fixed perfectly. Some patterns are just hard to get right. About the only thing I've seen on the collaborations (that's a peeve of mine) is the ebony covers are not fitted well to the bolsters. I am picky :D
Jerry, the Dog Leg I owned and foolishly sold was perfect out of the box. My only complaint with that pattern was how the main blade arcs downward from the handle. Ergonomically it just didn't work for me. I recently sent in my Cattle Knife and my Coffin Jack for excessive blade play and the turnaround was 4 weeks. They came back perfect. Both are flawless. A smooth transition from bolsters to ebony on my Cattle Knife.

What do you all think of the 2018 Cattleman pattern? The more I see it the more I warm up to it. Looks pretty long though. Also if anyone knows Mr. Bose personally please tell him I'm literally praying that he does his Gunstock pattern for the collaboration one of these years.

You must mean the Premium stockman. It's a pretty big knife, more than I would carry.

The eureka jack has “waves” in the ebony and the bolster is proud on both sides. The coffin jack has really nice fit and finish. Back drop is a 92 Winchester in 38-40, if anyone knows what MCBF stands for in the stock please let me know (looks factory but probably aftermarket?) Rifle left factory in 1927image.jpg

I just added this Eureka to my stable. It's headed straight to Bradford, PA for a tune up/clean up before I pass judgement. I do like the little talon blade though!
20180306_162555.jpg

20180306_162637.jpg

Quite a few knives here seem to be needing 'tune-ups'... I don't really think they should, given the price. However, the fact is that CASE make a lot of these collabs and I've often thought they should cut down on the numbers and be really stringent about the buidl-quality instead.

Quite a few knives here seem to be needing 'tune-ups'... I don't really think they should, given the price.

I agree with this however it doesn't bother me personally a great deal. When you send one in it gets the finishing touch it should've gotten before it went out the door. I'm happy they do it without any hassle but also agree it shouldn't be necessary so frequently. I will say though as far as the "worth it", they are almost a bargain when you get one that's near flawless. ;)

While they are great knives in premium materials, all three that I have had came with fit and finish issues that Case was unwilling/unable to resolve.

My first Lockback Whittler (clip main) had extremely weak secondary springs, to the point that the pen blade would try to close when stropping with any pressure. It also had an extremely thin spot on the pile side stag cover. Sent it in, Case's response was that the springs were fine and they didn't have any stag to replace the cover. Sold it :(

Second Lockback Whittler (wharncliffe main), the lockbar was sunken in the closed position. Sent it in, it came back slightly less sunken when closed...but proud when locked open :(. Traded it for a Wilfred Lockback Hunter (my first name is Wilfred, couldn't resist).

My Wilfred Lockback Hunter is probably the best so far, the lockbar is just ever so slightly sunken when both open and closed. However, the pin heads are disgraceful...I emailed Case about them with pics and never got a response (emailed Misty, the same person I dealt with on the other two). I am on @glennbad 's list to get the covers replaced when he has time.

IMG_20171210_210207.jpg IMG_20171210_210153.jpg IMG_20171210_210227.jpg

~Chip

Chip, that sucks. It seems like with the wharnie lockback at least, that the fit and finish on that pattern was overall not very good. Please share a pic of your Wilfred when you get the new covers installed.

While they are great knives in premium materials, all three that I have had came with fit and finish issues that Case was unwilling/unable to resolve.

My first Lockback Whittler (clip main) had extremely weak secondary springs, to the point that the pen blade would try to close when stropping with any pressure. It also had an extremely thin spot on the pile side stag cover. Sent it in, Case's response was that the springs were fine and they didn't have any stag to replace the cover. Sold it :(

Second Lockback Whittler (wharncliffe main), the lockbar was sunken in the closed position. Sent it in, it came back slightly less sunken when closed...but proud when locked open :(. Traded it for a Wilfred Lockback Hunter (my first name is Wilfred, couldn't resist).

My Wilfred Lockback Hunter is probably the best so far, the lockbar is just ever so slightly sunken when both open and closed. However, the pin heads are disgraceful...I emailed Case about them with pics and never got a response (emailed Misty, the same person I dealt with on the other two). I am on @glennbad 's list to get the covers replaced when he has time.

View attachment 863096 View attachment 863097 View attachment 863098

~Chip

"disgraceful" seems like an excessive reaction to what is shown in the photos but perhaps I'm missing something and you don't give any additional description. What is the problem with the pins? If you are expecting them to be perfectly uniform, that is only typical with smooth covers like wood since the pins are ground flush. There is much more variation with pins on knives that have bone covers from most makers --both modern and old.. especially old hand peened heads but also spun. What I see in the photos looks within norm for Case, GEC, Queen, etc.

The Lockback Whittlers are extremely difficult to get right. Tony says it's the toughest pattern he makes, if it's tough for the Old Dog...it's tough. It's a known issue that the secondary springs have tended to be a bit weak, and that was on the original clip point version. A good one is a treasure though, it's a great pattern.

"disgraceful" seems like an excessive reaction to what is shown in the photos but perhaps I'm missing something and you don't give any additional description. What is the problem with the pins? If you are expecting them to be perfectly uniform, that is only typical with smooth covers like wood since the pins are ground flush. There is much more variation with pins on knives that have bone covers from most makers --both modern and old.. especially old hand peened heads but also spun. What I see in the photos looks within norm for Case, GEC, Queen, etc.
Maybe I came off a bit dramatic, I guess the pins on my Lockback Whittlers must've been a fluke, stag on the first and bone on the second, all the pins we're nicely domed and circular. The pins on the Wilfred look like chunks are missing at the edges. The other reason I'm getting the covers replaced is they dip quite a bit just before the bolsters. I'm going with a smooth handle material so I'm sure it will be perfect when it comes back from Glenn.

Regardless, my experience with Case customer service regarding the collaborations has been less than stellar.
Maybe my expectations are too high.

~Chip

Steve,
Just Wow man!!! What a collection! I'm digging the Eureka and carrying it today. I should clarify it's just got some blade play I'm gonna have tuned out. I'll have them clean the bolsters up for me as this has some scrapes and scuffs. Also take about a mm off the kick on the talon blade because the back spring is just a smidge proud in the closed position. I'll be carrying and using this one a lot though. My only complaint functionally is the main blade isn't quite pinchable but no biggie for me personally.

Back