Case vs GEC and why?

Personally, I think Frost is the way to go....

jQlb8A.gif

Well, I'm throwing Buck Knife into the mix too. I don't see it as GEC vs. Case vs. Buck - what I see is three good choices for quality American made knives that offer plenty of options for users and collectors. Each seems to have a niche that they do very well. Unless you can only have one knife for economic reasons, or other self imposed reasons, I would say get some of each brand for what they offer and do best. Case Cutlery - LOTS of choices in traditional slipjoints, some at very reasonable prices - if you cannot find a handle color you like then they haven't invented it yet! Buck Knife - many choices of good quality, affordable, heavy duty knives for hunters, fishermen, and other outside uses - bound to be a pattern for whatever game you chase. G.E.C. - reviving classic patterns in limited runs with high quality handles and basic traditional blade steel - a little more pricey than the other two but should be compared to finding mint examples of discontinued knives long out of reach. OH

Last edited:
When I grew up in the 80’s people collected Cases. A lot of those tacky collector sets really turned me off to traditional pocket knives. They all seemed to have floppy action, weird colors, and tasteless etches (e.g. 1 of 25,000 Limited edition) It wasn’t until I discovered earlier Cases and GEC that I learned what made a pocket knife special. If Case could drop much of its product line and return to its old patterns that would be something special.
URUq6tT.jpg

Last edited:
If Case could drop 90% of its product line and return to its old patterns that would be something special.

It is difficult to tell if you are being ironic by illustrating this thought with a rope knife! I personally am fond of the pattern, but it is difficult to see where Case would find a market if they were to bring them back. On the high end of the market GEC makes bespoke sheepsfoot utility knives, on the low end usable versions of the pattern are imported under several names (Canon comes to mind), and in the middle price point good users by Wrights and Otter are obtainable. Those who collect Case can find these in very good used condition for less than a new GEC. I would pick up a Case rope knife if they produced them "out of the vault" but I have a hard time seeing enough of a market for them to do so. But if you are passing around a petition...sign me up!

When I grew up in the 80’s people collected Cases. A lot of these tacky collector sets really turned me off to traditional pocket knives. They all seemed to have floppy action, weird colors, and tasteless etches (e.g. 1 of 25,000 Limited edition) It wasn’t until I discovered early Cases and GEC that I learned what made a pocket knife special. If Case could drop 90% of its product line and return to its old patterns that would be something special.
URUq6tT.jpg
Once again, Travman Travman speaks wisdom.

I like both brands, but I stick to Case due to availability and designs. It seems to be a bit of a game to get GEC knives in patterns I like. Traditional knives do what they were intended to do, which is cut, and I use my Case Texas Jack like I stole it.

I like both brands, but I stick to Case due to availability and designs. It seems to be a bit of a game to get GEC knives in patterns I like. Traditional knives do what they were intended to do, which is cut, and I use my Case Texas Jack like I stole it.

Put me in the Case camp. GEC makes good stuff, I have a few. However, Case makes knives that are almost as good for half the price. Some Case knives are as good or better, and you can actually find them. GEC makes small runs to keep prices high because they sell to collectors, and I hate that. Ive never seen GEC in a store. I usually cant even find what I want online. If you do find what you want online, its from a flipper who wants obscene prices.
I can get a Case anytime I want, any pattern, for a fair price. Case makes great knives, they just put the edges on blindfolded sometimes. Lol
I think it boils down to this. Case make knives to be used, and some people collect them. GEC makes knives to be collected, and some people use them. I am a user.
P.S. Why cant GEC make an available user line up??????? Case has yellow delrin and Amber bone constantly. You can get one at a good price at the hardware store and put it to work. GEC could make a nice Delrin (affordable!) line up or something. They make Farm and Field, but they dont put out enough to be bought and used in farms and fields! Sigh... :(

This is a silly argument. GEC is a small business vs Case an international powerhouse corporation. GEC is finally making runs large enough that anyone can get a world class knife and if they’d try it they wouldn’t go back. If you aren’t willing to invest a bit in something really special just stick with Case.

GEC only has 23 employees! (edited to note they actually have 32 employees) They do not have the production capacity to make a universally, always available knife, and they probably employ 95% of the genuine cutlers in America or maybe the world.

GEC is a special company making a vintage product in a modern world.

it’s like a new gun company that opens making Triple Lock revolvers, or a new car company making 57 Chevy’s. GEC is special and magical.

and Buck (along with that spider company that shall remain nameless in the trad forum) is awesome also but for different reasons.

Last edited:
I collect GEC and Case (and to a lesser extent SAK and Buck). I like them all, I carry them all, and I use them all. The Case knives that I generally covet are not in their current lineup so the price gap between the two isn't so large for me. I see no reason to chose one company since I like patterns exclusive to each of them. Buy what makes you happy and be glad we have several good choices.

...they probably employ 95% of the genuine cutlers in America or maybe the world.

Stop it. 95%? I understand you are a GEC enthusiast, but that is pure nonsense. The folks at GEC aren't the only ones who know how to make a good knife. What about Renaud Aubry and the folks in France making their fine Laguioles? What about the Boses, Jared Oeser, or Hiroaki Ohta? Are they not genuine cutlers?

It is difficult to tell if you are being ironic by illustrating this thought with a rope knife! I personally am fond of the pattern, but it is difficult to see where Case would find a market if they were to bring them back. On the high end of the market GEC makes bespoke sheepsfoot utility knives, on the low end usable versions of the pattern are imported under several names (Canon comes to mind), and in the middle price point good users by Wrights and Otter are obtainable. Those who collect Case can find these in very good used condition for less than a new GEC. I would pick up a Case rope knife if they produced them "out of the vault" but I have a hard time seeing enough of a market for them to do so. But if you are passing around a petition...sign me up!
I just posted a picture of that one as a representative of one of many patterns that Case could bring back. But yes, there are other Case patterns that would have broader appeal.

Last edited:
Stop it. 95%? I understand you are a GEC enthusiast, but that is pure nonsense. The folks at GEC aren't the only ones who know how to make a good knife. What about Renaud Aubry and the folks in France making their fine Laguioles? What about the Boses, Jared Oeser, or Hiroaki Ohta? Are they not genuine cutlers?

i did say “in America” so that rules out Aubrey and Ohta. You named a couple others, but excusing my literary license, I don’t think the math is very far off.

I have both Case and GEC knives. Case tends to have more patterns that I like, but GEC has better fit and finish. I've never seen a perfect example of either though. Every Case I have purchased was missing the tip and wasn't sharp. I can fix that though. The SAK is the best value going for a traditional pocket knife in terms of value and fit/finish.

Last edited:
If you aren’t willing to invest a bit in something really special just stick with Case.

What makes something special can be up to each individual. Today I carried a Case knife that I got on a special occasion and I spent a while just turning it over in my hands. One pin stands just a touch proud and the blade is a bit off center and none of that matters. Finer fit and finish wouldn't make it more valuable to me.

Back