Case vs GEC

My grandfather always taught me to buy the very best that I can afford. He also taught me that if I can't afford it now, save and afford it later. He always told me to buy quality and what I like. He said otherwise you will just keep buying lesser items due to unhappiness and lacking quality and performance and premature failure. He would instil this logic in me to almost everything. When I went to buy a pistol I could have afforded a springfield armory 1911. I waited over 2 years to afford a Les Baer Custom. I only have the one. I could not be happier. Thousands and thousands of rounds at the range, holster worn, MY pistol. Some may say its a collector gun, I say I saved and bought what I want. High end lasting goods tend to hold their resale value, this is another logic he always instilled in me.

If I want a 70$ GEC over the 35 dollar case I will save until I can afford it. I will buy the one I want and be happy. I will use it for everything and be satisfied. This is all such a personal thing. To me the logic of buying two cases instead of one GEC is almost a collectors type mindset. Just buy one GEC and use it.

Sometimes only the rich can afford to use expensive goods, but sometimes an average joe will save his pennies and get what he wants and really, can't afford NOT to use it.

This is just how I was raised.

Kevin

Richstag that is very good thinking and smae thing that was taught to me.I rather save up and buy one good knife thatn take the money and get 2 knives any day

Last edited:
Big fan of GEC, harder to get over here than Case or some of the others US brands but its a brand I will happiliy search out for and get shipped in.

My choice is probably GEC (lockback mini hunter) then BUCK (112) then Case Sodbuster in CV - now if the sodbuster came with a lock it might be different....

GEC turn my head alot, Buck well if the 112 (easily) came in a drop-point I'd be all over that too but the only Case I'm interested in other than my sodbuster is a Tribal spear.....

Me personally knives 75$ and up are knives u put up or collect. I wouldn't dare put a GEC through what I put a knife through.

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder as far as collecting value goes. I for one have put my GEC workhorse through its paces. I have cut alot of stuff, scraped with it. Hammered a little with the end to flush an old nail. It may be pocket worn and patinad but it sure is far from being retired. I have yet to hold a case knife with a blade thickness close to the workhorse. If you dont own one then I would highly recomend purchasing one. Give it a try, you might be suprised. My little 66 jack is working out very well. So much so I am thinking of picking up the moose on the same frame. Solid, great ergonomics and the fit and finish on mine is second to none I have owned. My mindset and the way I was raised also falls in line with Richstag's comments. When I purchase a custom from one of the fine makers around here, I know I will be spending 250-1000 depending on what I get. I would not hesitate to use it, thats what its made for in my opinion. Only my kids will have to worry about the re-sale value lol

I agree with rockgolfer. I have only one rule when I buy a knife, I HAVE to use it. If I am not gonna use my knife, then I see no reason at all to buy it. I might not use it right away when I buy it, but if its been a year and I haven't touched the knife, then it should be going to a better home.

Sure, I've got some knives that get dirtier than others, but hey I like knives and I've got a few so I can pick the one I want to use for the job. I sharpen each and every one of my knives and I put an edge on it that I am comfortable will get the job done. For me personally I can't see buying something just to look at, I like to do things with my tools and sometimes tools break, its just the nature of the beast, but I do my best to take care of all my tools.

GECS are nice, but there is one problem I have seen just from my experience of owning just one and handling a few others. There tangs are half stop, and if they make a cam tang, they make it from a half stop. With that said, when they grind the cam tangs the radius ends with a small flat at the end, so when you open the blade there is a small soft "half stop" feel when you open it. someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you have any GEC's that are butter smoothe like an old Cammilus or Case let me know. Queen has this same problem with their line. Another topic perhaps, but Queen has fallen by the wayside IMO.

GEC does not make cam tangs from half stop tangs. They are punched out from raw steel with the half stop or with the round tang. Chris at GEC will confirm this if anyone wants to make a phone call.

Also, to answer the OP's question. Why buy a good knife when you can buy a great knife? GEC all the way. Plus, if something bad does happens to your GEC you know its got a lifetime warranty that is always backed by phenomenal customer service.

Richstag- I love that mindset, and I do try to follow it as well as I can, but my problem is that small pocket carry items like a slipjoint tend to get lost for me. I usually find them again, but sometimes I don't. If I lose a $40 Case it's not really a big deal, but if I lose a $100 GEC I'll drive myelf insane looking for it. I find that Case quality is good enough for me,although it's not on the level of GEC.
Essentially what I'm trying to say is that I buy the highest quality items that I can replace easily enough if they're high loss risk items. if this was a thread about guns, I'd agree with you 110%. That Les Baer is on a higher level of quality than the Springfield will ever be. There is a miniscule chance that you will ever lose it, so it was a good idea to save up for it in my mind.
It's basically the same reason that most people don't wear a Rolex for a beater watch, although a bit different. I'm not worried about breaking my slippies. :)
YMMV, just my $.02

Last edited:
My apologies for coming to the wrong conclusion. That was unfair of me. Thanks for taking the time to clarify in such a kind way.

Kevin

Does it really matter? Everybody has their own preference. I have used case, camillus, spyderco, cutco, imperial, queen and the list goes on and on. The truth be told it didn't really matter at the time as long as
the knife cut and performed as needed. Heck I've even had to use an old can lid to cut a bird loose from kite string when I didn't have knife on a bicycle ride.
I can't afford gec knives so I carry a case yellow trapper with cv blades no gaps centered blades snaps open and closed and stays razor sharp no matter what I put it through.
I can't speak for gec knives as I said I cant afford them, As for me, my father, son and daughter we'll stick with our lowly case knives and just keep cutting as we need to.
As has been said what if both companies had the same exact equipment for manufacturing would case knives still be getting all the negative comments? Or would it equal on both sides.
God Bless
Tracy

Tracy, Don't take these threads too seriously. They're just intended to stir the pot.

2stirring-iron-pot.jpg

Tracy,

May I just say that I don't think Case knives are lowly. I don't think it should be looked down on to own and use a Case. I never want to come of as some jerk that sounds like that. That is one thing I hate the most.

I agree its all going to come down to the individual. So many factors and priorities. I just want to make it clear that I'm explaining what works for me. I am in no way judging anyone else or trying to talk about how my mercedes has windshield wipers on it's headlights (joke)

That's all from me,

Kevin

The way I see it, and in no way do I consider myself to be an expert or experienced, I think the reason we are on this forum for traditional knives is because of the character and quality of the knives we get. Any knife can cut things and if it were just about the cutting I am not sure I would even go traditional there are modern production knives with great steel and can cut all day long. But the thing for me is that I want a functional knife that can get the job done but also a knife that I want to show off and for that reason I lean toward GEC. Most everyone on this thread has agreed that the fit and finish for the GEC is superior to Case and the steel will preform better but in very few situations is the steel going to make or break the knife to me. IMO it comes down to the look and finish of the knife not just how it cuts. To me that is worth the money.

Sorry guys and gals if I came off harshly. I don't get upset but I will give my opinion and don 't know how to beat around the Bush I always walk straight through.
I don't buy anything to collect but to use. My favorite pistol is a Colt Trooper in 357 because I 'm a wheel gun person. That doesn't mean I'm going to compare it to an expensive semi auto and say one is better than the other.They both do what they are designed to do and that is push a chunk of lead down range and hit the target what ever that may be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder whether guns knives or apples and oranges. And I really feel that is what is being asked for here apples and oranges.
God Bless
Tracy

Tracy,

IMO you didn't come off in a harsh manner. It seemed more of an insulted and defensive manner. That is what provoked my clarification/apology or however anyone wants to take it.

Kevin

A friend of mine recently bought a new Case Muskrat pattern with the black G10 handles. He showed it to me and I must say we were both a little disappointed. The fit and finish was ok but not spectacular by any means. There were a few sharp edges on the back spring side of it. The handles were fitted decently but the biggest disappointment was with one of the blades. One blade was just fine but the other had a flaw. The flawed blade had an unfinished final cutting edge where who ever was applying the edge with the wheel or belt had let the blade come away from it toward the tip. The other side of the blade was fine but that one side had an unfinished edge from the tip back approximately 1/8 of an inch or so. No big deal I guess since it could be easily fixed in about 10 minutes with a diamond sharpener but in my opinion it should not have passed inspection and sent out from the factory.

lamech: I might think GEC has a better level of craftsmanship, but I still buy more Case (Buck & Queen also) over GEC, go figure.
Case is a classic USA knife company, who I wish to support with my dollars to try and help to keep their doors open. I would really like to see this company survive and not become, just another footnote in history, like other US knife businesses who are now just a memory of old men and something the next generation will likely never know.

Back