Case's Chrome Vanadium vs. Carbon Steel?

hsherzfeld

Gold Member
Basic Member
Is there a difference between Case's chrome vanadium steel (CV) and their carbon steel (CS)?

I just bought a Case medium jack in amber bone and (according to the description on the big river site) CV steel. Well, on arrival it turned out to be carbon steel instead. I'm just curious if anyone knows what the difference between the two is. I have several Case knives in CV steel, but no others in CS.

Here's the knife in question:
IMG_4494.jpg

My understanding is that Case now marks all carbon steel knives with a "CS", whether it is chrome vanadium or a different type of carbon steel. Apparently, they now source other carbon steel in addition to chrome vanadium. Any new Case knife you purchase now might be chrome vanadium or it might be a different type of carbon steel. It just depends on what they are using, and all the knives are marked CS. I do not believe any new knives are marked CV even though the blade might very well be chrome vanadium. It was a supply issue, and they believe the difference between chrome vanadium and the other type of carbon they are using is negligible. Again, this is just what I read, so I could be incorrect. It is a bit disingenuous for Case to sing the praises of chrome vanadium for so many years and now say there is not much difference, but that is what they are doing. However, they are probably correct. I doubt anyone would notice much of a difference.

"CV" is a carbon seel. I beleive it is a modified 1095 with a small amount of vandium and chromium (not enough of either to make it stainless) for improved grain structure.
I may be mistaken on why they modify their 1095.

Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville is correct.
Case calls all their carbon steel "CS" now.
Just as all their stainless unless specifically named (such as their S45V) is called "True Sharp". It could be their version of 420HC, or something else.
In a way, you could refer to "CS" and "True Sharp" as "Mystery Steels". 🙄

Presumably for when their preferred blend is not available?

Last edited:
Well, now that my question is answered, I guess all I need to do now is sharpen my new Jack knife (Case’s factory edges haven’t improved since the last knife I bought from them) and start cutting apples to develop a patina.

Case blade steel is always a good topic for discussion. I have a number of the CV knives (and pre-CV; what steel did Case use before marking them CV?) and only one marked CS. It is one that I use, mostly as a fishing pocketknife - the awl drills nice holes in Fishbites (a good but very tough saltwater bait) and the Sheepfoot lets me cut close to trim tag ends. I reserve the clip for general use - a few days ago I cut up a hamburger for my daughter to eat and noticed the beginning of a patina (from the heat of the meat I assume). That knife gets used a decent amount, equivelent to some of my CV 18 patterns - I can tell no difference in edge or retention. OH PS old picture, cannot capture the beginning patina on my phone - need a better camera lens.
Case_2318_PU_CS_-_2022.jpg

From W. R. Case Knives

The Case Edge – Past, Present & Future
February 17, 2022 Share
Throughout more than one hundred years of history, the Case name has become synonymous with reliable blades which are individually honed by the hands of skilled artisans.

During that time, Case has principally used two types of steel to make our blades. These include our original Chrome Vanadium (“CV”), and our stainless option, Tru-Sharp™ surgical steel (“SS”).

In recent months, Case (and most every other American manufacturer) has encountered some disruption in availability of manufacturing materials. While we’ve been able to manage our materials inventory relatively well throughout the pandemic, it has become apparent that supply chain challenges will remain with the industry for a while.

This development has forced us to look at other choices of steel that will meet our own demanding specifications at Case. While we’ve routinely used specialty steels like Damascus, 154-CM, and more recently, S35VN for certain production runs, we recognize there’s been a growing interest in our carbon-based steel products and a need for more reliable and consistent availability. This steel is a favorite among consumers that depend on their knives to withstand the rigors of everyday use, especially in our traditional folders.

Case engineers have diligently worked to ensure the uncompromising quality and durability of our carbon-based steel remains intact, and after careful consideration, deliberation, testing and more testing – it has become clear that 1095 is the best option to add to our steel arsenal.

1095 is nearly identical in composition to our Chrome Vanadium steel, in fact Case’s Chrome Vanadium is a custom blend of 1095 steel. Therefore, both steels closely resemble that which might have been used by the Case Brothers starting from the late 19th century. 1095’s performance throughout the rigors of the manufacturing process, heat treatment, and use in the field has proven it’s worthy to become part of any Case knife.

Like our Chrome Vanadium, our 1095 steel is part of a class of steels where carbon is the principal alloying element that gives the steel high tensile strength, wear resistance and toughness. Both CV and 1095 carbon steel blades are also known for their edge retention and ease of re-sharpening.

Both are just as susceptible to tarnishing and rusting compared to stainless steel when exposed to air and moisture. A thin coat of oil or other suitable waterproof coating will preserve the steel’s original appearance while providing you many years of dependable service.

Soon you’ll be seeing the acronym “CS” on all carbon steel Case blade tangs. No change to our stainless steel lineup is planned.

Overall, choosing between a Case knife with any carbon steel, stainless steel, or other steel is largely one of personal preference. Some feel that edge retention, ease of re-sharpening, and the patina that can be achieved with carbon steel blades makes it superior to stainless steel; others appreciate the added corrosion resistance and dependable performance of stainless.

You can be sure that all Case steels are made to our highest quality standards and, with proper care, can perform well for many years.

From W. R. Case Knives

The Case Edge – Past, Present & Future
February 17, 2022 Share
Throughout more than one hundred years of history, the Case name has become synonymous with reliable blades which are individually honed by the hands of skilled artisans.

During that time, Case has principally used two types of steel to make our blades. These include our original Chrome Vanadium (“CV”), and our stainless option, Tru-Sharp™ surgical steel (“SS”).

In recent months, Case (and most every other American manufacturer) has encountered some disruption in availability of manufacturing materials. While we’ve been able to manage our materials inventory relatively well throughout the pandemic, it has become apparent that supply chain challenges will remain with the industry for a while.

This development has forced us to look at other choices of steel that will meet our own demanding specifications at Case. While we’ve routinely used specialty steels like Damascus, 154-CM, and more recently, S35VN for certain production runs, we recognize there’s been a growing interest in our carbon-based steel products and a need for more reliable and consistent availability. This steel is a favorite among consumers that depend on their knives to withstand the rigors of everyday use, especially in our traditional folders.

Case engineers have diligently worked to ensure the uncompromising quality and durability of our carbon-based steel remains intact, and after careful consideration, deliberation, testing and more testing – it has become clear that 1095 is the best option to add to our steel arsenal.

1095 is nearly identical in composition to our Chrome Vanadium steel, in fact Case’s Chrome Vanadium is a custom blend of 1095 steel. Therefore, both steels closely resemble that which might have been used by the Case Brothers starting from the late 19th century. 1095’s performance throughout the rigors of the manufacturing process, heat treatment, and use in the field has proven it’s worthy to become part of any Case knife.

Like our Chrome Vanadium, our 1095 steel is part of a class of steels where carbon is the principal alloying element that gives the steel high tensile strength, wear resistance and toughness. Both CV and 1095 carbon steel blades are also known for their edge retention and ease of re-sharpening.

Both are just as susceptible to tarnishing and rusting compared to stainless steel when exposed to air and moisture. A thin coat of oil or other suitable waterproof coating will preserve the steel’s original appearance while providing you many years of dependable service.

Soon you’ll be seeing the acronym “CS” on all carbon steel Case blade tangs. No change to our stainless steel lineup is planned.

Overall, choosing between a Case knife with any carbon steel, stainless steel, or other steel is largely one of personal preference. Some feel that edge retention, ease of re-sharpening, and the patina that can be achieved with carbon steel blades makes it superior to stainless steel; others appreciate the added corrosion resistance and dependable performance of stainless.

You can be sure that all Case steels are made to our highest quality standards and, with proper care, can perform well for many years.
Sure is a shame that the pandemic didn't disrupt the production of their Tru-Sharp "surgical" stainless!

I guess I'm a product of the era in which "surgical," in reference to steel, garnered a reputation as being simply awful in comparison to similar options. Why they'd continue with the outdated (not "traditional" mind you - just outdated) branding is beyond me. Scalpel blades are briefly sharp, yes, but also disposable.

They could've transitioned to 440C, 154CM, D2, 9Cr18MoV, 12C27, or any of the other budget-friendly stainless steels that have been used by traditional manufacturers in the past. Missed opportunity, IMO. 🤷

Sure is a shame that the pandemic didn't disrupt the production of their Tru-Sharp "surgical" stainless!

I guess I'm a product of the era in which "surgical," in reference to steel, garnered a reputation as being simply awful in comparison to similar options. Why they'd continue with the outdated (not "traditional" mind you - just outdated) branding is beyond me. Scalpel blades are briefly sharp, yes, but also disposable.

They could've transitioned to 440C, 154CM, D2, 9Cr18MoV, 12C27, or any of the other budget-friendly stainless steels that have been used by traditional manufacturers in the past. Missed opportunity, IMO. 🤷
I would love if they switched to 12C27, if we are taking votes lol.

I know that my vintage carbon steel sodbuster gets as sharp as anything I own

I have one of each. A 3.125" yellow deltin pen stamped CV. The large stockman is CS and has 1095 on the bolster.
They are not used all that often, but I don't particularly notice a difference between them.

Call me old fashioned, but for a working knife I'm still a fan of D2 at the right price. And Queen used it, so it's certainly got "traditional" credentials.
Ain't nothing wrong with D2. I feel like they are analogues of each other between carbon and stainless steels. I think 12c27 has been around for quite awhile, so it has some credentials "traditional" wise, maybe used more in Scandinavian knives though.

Ain't nothing wrong with D2. I feel like they are analogues of each other between carbon and stainless steels. I think 12c27 has been around for quite awhile, so it has some credentials "traditional" wise, maybe used more in Scandinavian knives though.
Apparently I am wrong, it only started being produced in the 1980's.

In my opinion, there is no difference between CV and 1095 in use, I would be willing to bet it was more of a marketing ploy to set their steel apart by being able to offer an “improved” and “proprietary blend”.

Now that the supply chain has been rocked, and they don’t have the competition they used to have in the marketplace, the steel nomenclature won’t have any real effect on their sales.

I can say with confidence based on my personal experiences as well as what I have learned from others throughout the years, that a point or two of Rc hardness will make a more significant difference to the way either steel performs than CV vs CS formulations.

Traditional knife users like us don’t get too worked up over the steel used anyway, so long as it takes an edge, the length of time between sharpenings, its toughness, corrosion resistance, or if it’s a powder steel or not is of less importance than the pattern type, handle materials, jigging pattern, and fit and finish just to name a few, we have plenty enough to fret about already.

I would love if they switched to 12C27, if we are taking votes lol.

I could get on board with that, or 13C26 or 14C28. Budget steels that are easy on manufacturing equipment yet perform quite well in the examples that I have. Look what Opinel does with 12C27 mod, which has less carbon that 12C27, yet does quite well in regular use.

Back