Case's Chrome Vanadium vs. Carbon Steel?

Is there a difference between Case's chrome vanadium steel (CV) and their carbon steel (CS)?

I just bought a Case medium jack in amber bone and (according to the description on the big river site) CV steel. Well, on arrival it turned out to be carbon steel instead. I'm just curious if anyone knows what the difference between the two is. I have several Case knives in CV steel, but no others in CS.

Here's the knife in question:
Hmmmm... Where's my soapbox. Ah. Here it is....

The formal AISI (American Iron and Steel Institute) definition of "Carbon Steel" is
"Steel is considered to be carbon steel when no minimum content is specified or required for chromium, cobalt, columbium [niobium], molybdenum, nickel, titanium, tungsten, vanadium or zirconium, or any other element to be added to obtain a desired alloying effect; when the specified minimum for copper does not exceed 0.40 per cent; or when the maximum content specified for any of the following elements does not exceed the percentages noted: manganese 1.65, silicon 0.60, copper 0.60."

So "carbon steel" only contains Iron, Carbon, a maximum of 1.65% Manganese, a maximum of 0.6%Silicon, and a maximum of 0.6% Copper,

I believe Case is using 1095 carbon steel. Here is the formal composition for that:
Iron, Fe98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn0.30 - 0.50

'"CV steel" was 1095 carbon steel with an additional 0.5% Chromium and 0.2% Vanadium. (I've seen certs for one of the lots. They were given to me by Steve Pfeiffer, BF member and noted authority on Case knife collecting. He obtained them from the fle room of the WR Case Company.)
--Chromium at that concentration is used to give a more even heat treat through the alloy, important for thicker blades.
--Vanadium at that concentration is used to generate a finer grain structure. This makes the alloy stronger.

In my opinion, CV takes an even finer edge than standard carbon steel. For a pocket knife blade, I don't know that you would notice any other performance differences.

Case CV does not have the same composition as Kabar 1095 Cro Van. But both are custom alloys made specifically for the Case and KaBar, respectively.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago in the General Forum about the change. Member Larrin Thomas, a PhD metallurgist who both developed the Magnacut alloy and works in the commercial steel industry, said he thinks that Case was unable to source CV in the US because the remaining US steel mills now only sell huge lots. CV was a custom alloy. To obtain it, Case would need to purchase the entire lot (called a "heat"). Case was not financially able to buy the tons of steel which would result if a US mill made a lot. Their other option would have been to source their steel from outside the US. Case decided to change to 1095, instead. KaBar had the same problem, but went the other direction and is now sourcing 1095 CroVan from Europe. I can understand that decision. In blades with the thickness of the ones made by KaBar, 1095 and 1095 Cro Van would not heat treat the same.

The formal AISI (American Iron and Steel Institute) definition of "Carbon Steel" is
"Steel is considered to be carbon steel when no minimum content is specified or required for chromium, cobalt, columbium [niobium], molybdenum, nickel, titanium, tungsten, vanadium or zirconium, or any other element to be added to obtain a desired alloying effect; when the specified minimum for copper does not exceed 0.40 per cent; or when the maximum content specified for any of the following elements does not exceed the percentages noted: manganese 1.65, silicon 0.60, copper 0.60."

So "carbon steel" only contains Iron, Carbon, a maximum of 1.65% Manganese, a maximum of 0.6%Silicon, and a maximum of 0.6% Copper,

I believe Case is using 1095 carbon steel. Here is the formal composition for that:
Iron, Fe98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn0.30 - 0.50

'"CV steel" was 1095 carbon steel with an additional 0.5% Chromium and 0.2% Vanadium. (I've seen certs for one of the lots. They were given to me by Steve Pfeiffer, BF member and noted authority on Case knife collecting. He obtained them from the fle room of the WR Case Company.)
--Chromium at that concentration is used to give a more even heat treat through the alloy, important for thicker blades.
--Vanadium at that concentration is used to generate a finer grain structure. This makes the alloy stronger.

In my opinion, CV takes an even finer edge than standard carbon steel. For a pocket knife blade, I don't know that you would notice any other performance differences.

Case CV does not have the same composition as Kabar 1095 Cro Van. But both are custom alloys made specifically for the Case and KaBar, respectively.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago in the General Forum about the change. Member Larrin Thomas, a PhD metallurgist who both developed the Magnacut alloy and works in the commercial steel industry, said he thinks that Case was unable to source CV in the US because the remaining US steel mills now only sell huge lots. CV was a custom alloy. To obtain it, Case would need to purchase the entire lot (called a "heat"). Case was not financially able to buy the tons of steel which would result if a US mill made a lot. Their other option would have been to source their steel from outside the US. Case decided to change to 1095, instead. KaBar had the same problem, but went the other direction and is now sourcing 1095 CroVan from Europe. I can understand that decision. In blades with the thickness of the ones made by KaBar, 1095 and 1095 Cro Van would not heat treat the same.
Great information, Frank.

Iron, Fe98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn0.30 - 0.50

That was an enjoyable and informative read, thank you!

Iron, Fe98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn0.30 - 0.50

Wow, thanks to you and Steve for the info!

Case was unable to source CV in the US because the remaining US steel mills now only sell huge lots. CV was a custom alloy. To obtain it, Case would need to purchase the entire lot (called a "heat"). Case was not financially able to buy the tons of steel which would result if a US mill made a lot. Their other option would have been to source their steel from outside the US. Case decided to change to 1095, instead.

So, Case, rather than using imported steel, switched to 1095.

I respect that.

A lot.

Back