Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

Hell yes. Looks good to me.

Cook-It-All

Round 2,

3 plain, 3 with everything bagel seasoning,

Cover and wait,

Bottoms were just past done, So a thin layer was cut off. Last night I was light on the heat, this morning I was a tad heavy. Still leaning charcoal, much better with just plain wood.

Toss on a couple eggs,

Flip,

Warm plate,

Have at it, plenty of yokey goodness to sop up,

I just picked up a new Lodge square cast iron griddle with raised sear bars. Just got done going over it & smoothing down all the sharp spots and smoothing the edges & inside & outside the 2 handles with files & my Dremel tool.

I already cooked up the 10 lb Prime Rib to medium rare & cut & vacuum sealed the pieces. That way I can now just sear it to each person's preference. Looking forward to seeing how that works. I love me some good smooth cast iron. I saw some Lodge Blacklock in the store once. I was simply not impressed enough to spend that much more on it. Took me less than an hour to get it perfectly smooth everywhere.

Sorry, no pics.

Does GreenEgg cast-iron count?

OjUu2QI.jpg

lfIE644.jpg

X-Man you should start a Beckerhead recipe thread to go along with your dishes. I would but the only ingredients would be bacon or pulled pork
🤣 Your ahead of me. Mine would just be chicken :oops:

Xr6x Xr6x That meal looks great! Also, the polished finish on that 5 is amazing! How long did it take to get it to that state?
Thanks and thanks :thumbsup: It took a lot longer than I ever expected, I honestly never kept track of the time, probably a few hours every day for a few months.
Who would ever think a couple .000”s would be so hard to remove :rolleyes:

i gots a cast iron pizza plate and a dutch oven thingy originally to put inside my big green egg

but i got into deep fried turkey / steamer kits with OUTDOOR ONLY danger propane kit recently, so i can do double duty with THAT

we're not even going to talk about the lodge standard hibachi i haven't used yet :p

i think my original idea was to get a proper container so i could do paella or similar on the grill...

other than THAT, i'm a cast iron heathen, and have been looking to score TWO semi-deep skillets for a while now...

mostly because of the possibility that they retain their heat for things like: alton brown style grilled cheese, and properly searing a steak for bake, and other antics.

i am strongly tempted to just "buy what's on amazon", but tbh, years of looking at antique stores only shows me what greed looks like. all them fancy ones, turned and polished and stuff, are $$$ and shameful, if not pretty :)

what should i get?

Finally getting around to hanging my cast iron on my kitchen wall. Been meaning to do this for 2 years lol. Not done yet but it's coming together.

51010773597_d25f0d1b8c_c.jpg

that's a bit excessive. you have a problem. i'll be over to help soon.

the muffin tin reminds me that i DO have more cast iron (cheap), that i forgot i had: two ableskiver pans :D never used. had an "opportunity" but that passed. still have the pans.

What’s the general consensus on enameled cast iron? Is an enameled Dutch Oven still considered cast-iron? Is it more about the proper care and maintenance of a bare cast-iron surface? Or is it mainly about being made in the USA?

I’ve used various cast-iron pieces over the years but it’s never been a legit hobby for me. The one that I use most often is an imported panini skillet with red enamel everywhere but the ridged cook surface. I think it was a WorldMarket product that I picked up about 15-20 years ago. We cook on gas, and even though I sometimes get it smoking hot for steaks, the enamel on the bottom shows no wear or discolor at all.

Have you guys & gals seen the 14,000+ lb Lodge cast iron skillet, going to the museum ? My computer skills are very limited so you'll have to Google it. It's awesome !

Beckerhead # 103

I like SMOOTH-ground cast iron. This is my home set, from left to right (someone else asked this week and the picture is handy):

* 12" Stargazer (fantastic modern execution)
* #8 Griswold (similar size to a 10.5" Stargazer)
* #6 Griswold
* #3 Griswold

The #6 and #8 get the most use. If I didn't have the #8 I'd consider dropping the coin on the 10.5" Stargazer. Vintage Griswold in decent shape has gotten out of sight (bought, cleaned, kept, gifted ~9 pieces at flea markets over the years). I have a 3, 8, and 9 at the cabin too (yeah, bragging a bit). My only complaint with the 'Gazer stuff is that the combination of handles takes up too much room around the stove and in the oven. They have a new 13" brasier coming out (two small handles), but I don't cook that big ever.

The rough surface, excessive weight & thermal mass on the modern Lodge stuff drives me nuts.
I don't like enameled because you can't season it. It's a different way to solve the surface texture problem, and you get the thermal properties of cast iron, but...
You can season modern plain steel pans easier. I've never tried seasoning stainless, nor googling if that works.

IMG_20220114_124949-small.jpg

Last edited:
that's a bit excessive. you have a problem. i'll be over to help soon.

the muffin tin reminds me that i DO have more cast iron (cheap), that i forgot i had: two ableskiver pans :D never used. had an "opportunity" but that passed. still have the pans.
The sad part is I only have room on the wall for for ~ half of my skillets 😂

Back