CAUTION buying 1084 on eBay

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate the input from all of you. Since this was going to be my first knife, there was no way I would have realized that I didn't have the steel I paid for.

Why you don t cut small pieces from angle and HT ? That way you will 100 % know what you have ? Torch will be more then enough for that fast test , just heat them to bright red and drop them in water .If then they brake like glass you have steel , if not ..............

that's a good idea. I'll do that now.

In the meantime, I took a little video clip of two different bars of "1084". one's 1/8, the other is 3/16.

Here's a 30 second clip with a spark test video if you're interested.

https://imgur.com/TBF9OOe

A good way to do a spark test is to touch the steel to the wheel as lightly as possible. You want just a light spark shower. It helps you see the forest from the trees so to speak.

The problem is new knife makers are the target. Thy have no idea thy are getting scammed and thy think somthing it wrong with there heat treat or methods. Let alown take money for people starting out that don’t have much money to dump into a new hobby.

Here is a video I did on what’s happening with this seller. If everyone can spread this to other people thy know that would be great.

A good way to do a spark test is to touch the steel to the wheel as lightly as possible. You want just a light spark shower. It helps you see the forest from the trees so to speak.

The problem is new knife makers are the target. Thy have no idea thy are getting scammed and thy think somthing it wrong with there heat treat or methods. Let alown take money for people starting out that don’t have much money to dump into a new hobby.

Here is a video I did on what’s happening with this seller. If everyone can spread this to other people thy know that would be great.

Hey JT, I took another video in the dark with light taps on the wheel as you recommend. Mind taking a look?

It started raining so I wasn't able to heat up a chunk.

https://imgur.com/fqRSWMg

Hey JT, I took another video in the dark with light taps on the wheel as you recommend. Mind taking a look?

It started raining so I wasn't able to heat up a chunk.

https://imgur.com/fqRSWMg
Looks like mild steel to me.
Regardless, don't waste your time on unknown steel. How pissed would you be if your knife came out perfect / just the way you envisioned it and it wouldn't harden?

The seller issued me a refund. Thanks to all of you for your help and guidance. I wanted to show the seller that I did my due diligence with the photos and video clips. I linked this thread to the seller so hopefully he can get his inventory in order.

I can't imagine how many budding knife makers have been turned off by the fact that they weren't good at it when they were sold the wrong steel... And the fact that the sellers rating is as high as it is indicates to me that most people that buy the steel don't know how to tell a difference. I know I wouldn't have...

I nearly made the same mistake for my first knife, but when doing my research on BladeForums, I kept reading “buy known steel from a reputable supplier “.
I used real 1084, heat treated with an oxy/acetylene torch and quenched in warm canola oil.
It hardened!!!

Thanks BladeForums!!!

I nearly made the same mistake for my first knife, but when doing my research on BladeForums, I kept reading “buy known steel from a reputable supplier “.
I used real 1084, heat treated with an oxy/acetylene torch and quenched in warm canola oil.
It hardened!!!

Thanks BladeForums!!!

It helps to find out you live five miles away from someone who obsesses over heat treat too. :rolleyes:

The seller issued me a refund. Thanks to all of you for your help and guidance. I wanted to show the seller that I did my due diligence with the photos and video clips. I linked this thread to the seller so hopefully he can get his inventory in order.

I can't imagine how many budding knife makers have been turned off by the fact that they weren't good at it when they were sold the wrong steel... And the fact that the sellers rating is as high as it is indicates to me that most people that buy the steel don't know how to tell a difference. I know I wouldn't have...

Did he give you the same story. “Sorry we got a bad batch, blaw blaw blaw”. So what’s his excuse been for the last months. Hell if you search his name on google you can find redit posts from a while ago claiming he is scamming people. He did not get a bad batch, he is stright up scamming people and hoping his customers are dumb enough to not figure it out.
Hell of people want some mild steel you could just buy a crap ton and then when it’s not what’s described demand a refund. eBay has your back. I’m half tempted to buy his 1084 and 5160 and send it out for aloy testing.

Did he give you the same story. “Sorry we got a bad batch, blaw blaw blaw”. So what’s his excuse been for the last months. Hell if you search his name on google you can find redit posts from a while ago claiming he is scamming people. He did not get a bad batch, he is stright up scamming people and hoping his customers are dumb enough to not figure it out.
Hell of people want some mild steel you could just buy a crap ton and then when it’s not what’s described demand a refund. eBay has your back. I’m half tempted to buy his 1084 and 5160 and send it out for aloy testing.

I didn't get any response from him. I went through the return process and linked this post. Got notified of the return this morning without any additional info.

I agree, if enough people purchased then demanded refunds he'd have to change his business practices.

Back