Chakram | does anyone throw one?

Ooh cool! Thanks for the link! When you get your Chakrams, be careful pulling them out of the target! I'm way to paranoid to try the whip it around your finger method of throwing. I always feel like I'll accidentally whip it into the side of my head!

Ooh cool! Thanks for the link! When you get your Chakrams, be careful pulling them out of the target! I'm way to paranoid to try the whip it around your finger method of throwing. I always feel like I'll accidentally whip it into the side of my head!

I should have the one I bought (same as Florida's) by early next week -- it shipped today! I'm hoping I can get this blacksmith to work on it fast. He doesn't seem like a "fast" guy! :)

I'm going to be ultra careful at first and try to get the "frisbee" throw down first. Then, I'll try an across the body throw. Now, you mentioned that you've sunk them so deep you had to use a screwdriver to pull it out. I'll have one ready just in case!

Use a long sturdy stick, you can get leverage to pry them out without sending it into your own chest. I've also tapped them out by tapping on the inside edge 90 degrees from where it's stuck in the target. This lets you sort of roll it out of the cut instead of jerking it out straight towards yourself.

I like throwing the chakram overhand with it vertically pinched between my thumb and forefinger. I get a lot of force when I throw them like that.

I really love the demonstrations the Sikh weapons master gave in that show you posted. Especially the hand to hand methods he showed with the smaller rings worn on the wrists.

Use a long sturdy stick, you can get leverage to pry them out without sending it into your own chest. I've also tapped them out by tapping on the inside edge 90 degrees from where it's stuck in the target. This lets you sort of roll it out of the cut instead of jerking it out straight towards yourself.

I like throwing the chakram overhand with it vertically pinched between my thumb and forefinger. I get a lot of force when I throw them like that.

I really love the demonstrations the Sikh weapons master gave in that show you posted. Especially the hand to hand methods he showed with the smaller rings worn on the wrists.

Your advice will be taken seriously. I appreciate it. And, I will give the overhand method a try. I like it because it follows the same path as knife throwing. Maybe less shoulder damage! I can't tell you how excited I am about getting into this!

I haven't gotten mine stuck to the point I couldn't just apply a little lateral back and forth pressure to remove it. But then again, it could depend on the target and the thrower too. I've also not been able to master throwing it like a frisbee yet. Though I've really only tried a few times. I usually throw it like I would throw a knife by the blade.

I've sunk mine about 4 inches into a crosscut log. A few inches into the side of a tree. It was stuck in there hard enough that I didn't want to be wrestling with a sharpened steel ring bare handed!

I have a harder time controlling it with a frisbee throw.

Good to hear. I think I'm pretty settled on the fact that I'm going to go overhead first. That seems to be how they threw it up close anyway, and I'm going to start at the 12 foot mark. I want to incorporate these into a show I want to do, and I can't imagine throwing knives or Chakrams further than 12-18 feet. What do you think? I'm looking to do accuracy stuff like cutting fruit in half, slicing cucumbers...you know...fun stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds good, and keep us updated on the chakrams (or chakars as mom and dad call 'em)!

I got some new toys. I figured I'd share.

The large middle one is a Paul Ehlers Night Flight Throwing Axe. The little hatchet on the left I picked up today at a local novelty store. It's pretty good quality. It took me a while to figure out my distances, but now that I got it, it's very fun. What I've been doing is first throwing my Chakrum about half-way across the yard, take a few steps a throw the Night Flight. Then run up and briefly balance on my left foot and throw the hatchet.

Cutleryright.jpg

CutleryLeft.jpg

That's a pretty awesome looking variety of implements there! About how many feet away are you tossing that Chakram? Mine should get to me tomorrow. I cannot wait to give it a try. I've got a feeling that I'll only be able to keep it for a day or so before I have to give it to the blacksmith as a reference for the others. I haven't heard back from him yet, though, to find out if he's found a source of raw materials. I hope I throw it accurately because I really want to use this in my act for a unique variety.

The chakram is, if I remember correctly, the emblematic weapon of the Hindu deity Vishnu. As such it was sometimes incorporated for symbolic purposes into other weapons, such as a broad circle at the base of sword blades and the like.

I started throwing it at around 14 ft, but lately I've been throwing it at around 24 ft to present a greater targeting challenge.

fantastic distances for only working with it a couple of weeks at the most! mine is due in the mail tomorrow! i plan to work it well, and i'll post pics and my review tomorrow night! once i get used to it, then i'll come back closer and work on some precision stuff to see if i can put it in my act. we shall see how it works for me. thanks again for the heads up!

The chakram is, if I remember correctly, the emblematic weapon of the Hindu deity Vishnu. As such it was sometimes incorporated for symbolic purposes into other weapons, such as a broad circle at the base of sword blades and the like.

i've done a fair share of research into this over the past week. while no expert, i think i know as much as anyone living in the u.s. without actual experience with it or indian culture.

yes, the chakram was a symbol of Sihk religious belief and the militant side of it. it is depicted in many murals still visible today in northeast india. many weapon had artistic representations of it made into the weapon. the reason for this was pride not spirituality. this was their most feared weapon, and they were masters with it. they killed many an enemy with it. the best throwers of the chakram were honored with wealth and land and often gave demonstrations of their abilities. there's a lot more to say, but it's time to hit the sack. check out that discovery channel video i posted if you haven't already seen it. it's worth the watch if you're interested in the subject.

I recommend the book "Hindu Arms & Ritual" by Robert Elgood. When I say "symbolic" it stems from the belief that all things have a soul or spirit and that their physical form is representational of that spirit. This is one of the reasons why so many Indian arms have rather unusual forms that don't necessarily make sense from a strict weapons standpoint. In the instance I referred to I was talking about a sword that had a large circular swell at the base of the blade in stylistic emulation of the chakram, supposedly invoking the spirit of Vishnu.

I recommend the book "Hindu Arms & Ritual" by Robert Elgood. When I say "symbolic" it stems from the belief that all things have a soul or spirit and that their physical form is representational of that spirit. This is one of the reasons why so many Indian arms have rather unusual forms that don't necessarily make sense from a strict weapons standpoint. In the instance I referred to I was talking about a sword that had a large circular swell at the base of the blade in stylistic emulation of the chakram, supposedly invoking the spirit of Vishnu.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I apologize. I mistook "symbolic" for the ever-so-modern belief that the Chakram were never used in real battle. Now I understand what you're saying, and you are correct. Thank you for your insight.

I got my chakram in the mail today. It was actually a little bigger and sharper than I'd imagined when I bought it. The thing came with a pretty sharp edge which impressed me. I quickly realized how careful I'd have to be while throwing it, and I decided to do just what everyone recommended and throw it like a knife to begin with.

I warmed up with one of my Cold Steel's, and then I pounced on the Chakram. I started at 12 feet thinking that would be a good starting distance. The first throw landed exactly where I was aiming, but the circle of steel just bounced off. I took a look at where it hit, and there was a "line" in the wood, but it didn't stick. Harder, I thought, so I pulled back and threw it with more force. It bounced again. Harder, I thought, and I pulled back and threw it harder, and it stuck. However, as I walked to the board, it fell to the ground. Now, for a knife thrower, I throw pretty hard sometimes. It's nothing for my Cold Steel to penetrate the 1.25" treated board about 2-3" in the back when I want it to.

I kept throwing it hard, but I could never get it to stick. Always, it left a gash in the wood but no stick! I then started experimenting and threw it like a frisbee, then across my body, and then finger-twirled it overhead and slung it at the wood (that's pretty darn effective too, mind you).

Here's what I found out:
1. You can be very accurate with this thing;
2. It is razor sharp -- so sharp that I don't think it can "dig" deep into the wood;
3. My heavy target (perfect for knives) has too much "bounce" for the chakram. I think it would stick better were my target mounted solidly against something instead of leaning a bit against a wall. I think it would also stick well in a stump target too.
4. I have no doubt this thing could cut fruit with ease on a throw. I also have no doubt that it could slice up an enemy pretty bad if it makes skin contact. I'm not thinking it would do so well against armor, though, even leather armor;
5. The edge is so thin that it had a lot of burs and divots in it. I'm gong to have to grind it to a thicker edge for more hardcore throwing.

Sorry I don't have pics yet. I'm still trying to figure out my wife's new camera.

Back