1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chamfered edges?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Kenneth F Huls, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    So as I posted in another thread, I got around to the inevitable and stripped my awesome HOG Badger. Not only was it a perfect finish underneath, but it revealed what others already no doubt knew - chamfered edges all around! No need to meltdown anything - no sharp edges anywhere! I think this is the coolest!

Got me to wondering, are other models chamfered, or is this something new and different? I have not noticed it in any photos before and my other Busses surely don't have this treatment (admittedly I have a small collection of a dirty dozen keepers!).

Please pardon the horrible iPhone pics! IMG_1023.jpg IMG_1022.jpg

OnceBitten and WatermanChris like this.
  2. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    This is done on a lot of Swamp Rat blades. It's a cool finish for sure.

WatermanChris likes this.
  3. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks for the quick and informative response, Rob! I did not know that (obviously!). Interesting that it is seen on the Kin and not on the Busses. Especially since it is so fantastic! Great machining work and detail, and smooths out the spine while still being able to catch a spark off it. Nice! :) My only Kin is/was a Ratmandu and I did not notice it on that knife.

WatermanChris likes this.
  4. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I remember it being on the 'Rodent' series. Particularly the larger models such as the Rodent 7 and 9. Here's a 9, and you can clearly see the chamfering on the finger guard. It also runs the entire length of the spine, and on the butt.

[​IMG]

5. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Rob comes through with irrefutable proof! Nice :thumbsup:

Yes, great pic as you can see the chamfers all around (plus, it is just epic!).

So this begs the question - why not do this all the time?!

6. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    I knew it!

So I went back and took a look at the initial announcement/release pics and guess what - NO chamfers!

Do all the delivered HOG Badgers have them?

This is a true mystery (well, to me at least!).

7. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I have no luck in stripping.....knives, or otherwise.

Congrats....that's a sweet knife!

:thumbsup:

Chingon1988 and Kenneth F Huls like this.
  8. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    My HOG Gemini had the chamfered treatment.
    I think the Foresaken Gemini does too

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  9. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks for adding that, MacLaren. I am becoming aware that it is seen, but somewhat elusive (or so it would seem). I don't see a down side to it and wish it were more prevalent as it really softens the corners and can't be that hard to program to do it (I am no machinist or engineer, however, and might be incorrect on that). Accomplished pretty much a meltdown without the expensive or time-consuming handwork.

This is one reason I love stripping coated blades. So much cheaper and you never know what you are gonna find - and what I do find has always been good!

OnceBitten, thank you for the compliment on her. Very kind! I will attach a badly taken overall pic here. I used Citristrip this time (first time I have tried it). It took 2.5 hours IMG_1019.jpg in the bath to do the job well, as opposed to less time with a more harsh product. Though it took a while, the fumes were not nearly so noxious as past strippers I have used (actually smells nice!) and using it caused me less health concerns as I did not feel like I needed to wear a SCUBA outfit to use it safely! I tried to coat the blade and wait 30-60 minutes as directed on the bottle and here on this site, but that did not cause much effect at all. So I reverted to a full immersion bath as usual, left it another 90 minutes, and the coating all sloughed off very easily with the exception of just a few tiny stubborn spots. I do not use a brass or bronze brush or a razor blade, etc, to help get the job done as it can scratch up the decarb, which is a "patina" that I particularly prize in tool appearance and utility (heck, I would pay a little for that finish!). Rather, I bathe 'em until the coating sloughs off easily with a push from a wooden paint stir stick. Stubborn spots come off with a bit of elbow grease using the stir stick, too, as long as the bath had been long enough. I hope you have better luck at some point!

MacLaren1 likes this.
  10. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    IMG_1019.jpg

11. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    The TGLB had really nicely rounded edges on the spine, guards and pommel. I had a beautiful Custom Shop TG14 and the edges were not rounded off, so I never could get that lovin' feeling for it like I had for my TGLB.

boring and Kenneth F Huls like this.
  12. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I'm glad your HOG Badger turned out so good! :thumbsup:

I think most (all?) Busse family knives have at least a very slight chamfer on the non-cutting edges. I randomly examined some of my knives, mostly satin or DC finished (because the chamfer might not be visible if it is coated), and all but one definitely had at least a very slight chamfer; one knife I could not tell for sure because of the coating. Some have a very pronounced chamfer, on others it is more moderate, and on some I had to use a magnifying glass to see it. My satin HOG Badger is chamfered, and so is my satin Alpha Dog 6 (the chamfer is not as pronounced as on the HOG Badger). I even looked at an old Basic 5 with the smooth coating (this is the coating that was used before the current crinkle finish was available), and it has chamfered edges; the Basics were the economy line back then.

I'm guessing at least a very slight chamfer is applied to remove any burrs created by cutting and grinding the steel. Some Busse knives have a much more pronounced chamfer that adds to the looks of the knife.

13. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    You know, I'm pretty sure my Foresaken Battle Mistress has it as well .

14. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks for the further info, MacLaren and gk4ever2. Interesting that the Custom Shop TG did not have that treatment whereas the other did. This all seems so random to me. gk4ever2, a lot of what you describe sounds like deburring (as you say) and not what I am calling a true chamfered edge like what is clearly applied to my HOG Badger and no doubt to yours as you state (and again, the chamfers do not appear to be there at all in the initial announcement/release photos). I can totally appreciate the care taken to remove truly sharp edges and that is a plus, but a full chamfer job to me is a whole other level of finish, which I can really appreciate and applaud. My others definitely do not have this treatment, or anything like it for that matter. While some are not as "sharp" on the corners and edges as others, they don't have this.

MacLaren1 likes this.
  15. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks for your report, too, Clampdaddy!

clampdaddy and MacLaren1 like this.
  16. MadMarkie

MadMarkie Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2013
    After looking at my coated HOG Badger, I had a feeling those edges were chamfered... thanks for confirmation! Now I really can't wait to get the stripper on it!

17. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Can’t confirm from stripping and I’m not home now to take a close look, but I remember thinking that the chamfered edges of the TGA2 were a nice differentiation from the BGTG.

18. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    I first noticed chamfered corners on Busse with the SHBM. Not all SHBM's but some. This one, which has been Resinguys knife for over 10 years was one of the first I noticed with it after I stripped it and bead blasted it. I have another one that I noticed has this as well. So it wasn't across the board but it was definitely done on some.

[​IMG]

19. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Just do it, man! And let us see the results!

20. Kenneth F Huls

Jul 11, 2012
    Cool historical note and info, Cobalt. Thanks. I cannot fathom why some in a model or run would be chamfered and others not. Doesn't makes sense to me, but then there is something kinda nice about these little distinctions and not knowing what you will end up with in the details. Kinda like custom by happenstance!