Charcoal is the superior fuel for bladesmithing!

KCasey,
Anyone looking for charcoal just use it as your key word in the search engines. There's charcoal from all over the world for sale on the web and a few in the US. You have to weed through the charcoal drawing sites but there's a bunch of off topic info on charcoal that's real neat too. If anyone finds a reliable source I'm sure many would appreciate if you posted the information.
Tim

Tim,

Got your snail mail. Yes I could read it fine. Thanks for the information, will keep you posted on progress.

Rick

I recieved an e-mail from the Hiller group. And they say they only sell charcoal in the 20 ton increments now. So we need to keep looking. We ought to be able to find it available in a least as small as 1 ton purchase by private individuals. Is anyone else looking?

I guess I just gotta try it. If I don't I will never know if I am doing the best I can or not. Since I don't do a whole lot of forging at one time, the propane has been good except for making damascus (probably me). It will make good damascus but I do have problems at times.
I have been trying to make my 100th post something special and I guess this is as special as I am ever going to get.

------------------
Ray Kirk
www.tah-usa.net/raker

I tried using wood as charcoal from a white ash tree I cut down last year. I prepared it different. I used the wood in the outside fire pit used for BBQing. At the end of each day I extinquished the fire with water and picked out the charcoal the next day. Then dried it out for a few days on a roll of bamboo fencing. It burned very nice with almost no sparks. I'm wondering if this is in the way the charcoal was made or because of the species of wood used. I think charcoal made in an oven or retort system sparks more than charcoal made by direct contact with fire like in a 55 gallon drum or in an earth mound or fire pit.

An interesting topic. Those of you interested in traditional techniques may wish to take a look at this page on the Himalayan Imports website. http://members.aol.com/Nepalkamis/index.html

HI is well known for the quality of their blades, and they are produced in charcoal forges. Bill Martino is heading over to Nepal in February, so if there are questions about forging techniques you would like him to ask the kamis, hop over to the Himalayan Imports forum and let him know.

Back