cheap axis-style lock

I've decided that for my next knife I "need" an axis-style lock, but don't have the money for a benchmade (even a mini grip). So far the one I hear the most about is the ganzo firebird, but it seems like everyone here hates them because they steal designs from other companies and I don't want to support that. Another one I hear about is the SanRenMu GB-763, but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know of some other knives that aren't expensive or knock-offs?

You'll get more help on the ChineseKnives subreddit than you will here...

SanRenMu is known to have been a (possibly THE) Chinese OEM for Spyderco/Byrd. They also appear to have been an OEM for Benchmade prior to 2012 or so. They know how to make knives, but have a questionable reputation regarding intellectual property. At some point, they were acquired by RUIKE, which is owned by Fenixlight Ltd (the company that makes Fenix flashlights). GUANGXI RUIKE Outdoor Tools Manufacturing Co Ltd holds the "SRM" trademarks. Besides their own well-regarded budget knives, RUIKE makes Sanrenmu/SRM, Real Steel and supposedly do OEM work for Spyderco/Byrd, Kershaw, Boker+, CRKT, Buck, and probably more.

The SRM 7063 can be found as low as $10, and has some good reviews (and a functional bottle opener). Supposed to use 8Cr14MoV instead of the usual 8Cr13...
s-l640.jpg

For the sake of full disclosure, the original overseas model 763 used the sliding-bar style lock long before Benchmade's US patent expired (not that a US patent protects you in China).

I was disappointed that the axis style lock wasn't more widely adopted after the patent expired . :(

Site rules here forbid "promoting" Ganzo , but they're OK for the money in my book for what you get in quality .

I was disappointed that the axis style lock wasn't more widely adopted after the patent expired . :(

Site rules here forbid "promoting" Ganzo , but they're OK for the money in my book for what you get in quality .

Ya but it's called a Ganzo. It sounds like a knock-off version of a Muppet. Neither high-speed, nor low-drag. :thumbsdown:

there was a time when
the axis lock was all the rage.
even cold steel had something
call the ultra lock system.
they was used on the 1st generation
recon 1 folders
perhaps sourcing from the secondary
market may be the one right way ...

recon1_blue.gif

The patent has expired and several companies like SOG,Lion Steel(Daghetta), etc...…. are making this lock style of knives.

Please note purchasing a axis lock style knife from a company which has a hassle free service policy.Like Benchmade, who actually has a Lifetime Warranty.As some brand new knives can be defective.

You sure like to push this issue a lot, full well knowing the reaction you'll get. What's the word we use for that?
Essentially any axis lock chinese branded knife you get is supporting theft in one way or another. There are the ones that steal the design of other knives. Then there are the SRM knives with the axis lock, most if not all were made while the axis lock was still in force.

The question with out cloner support BS is actually good.
Something like the SOG Terminus XR maybe?
I handled one of these at a cabela's a little over a month ago. I was really impressed. Sort of shocked actually. I haven't done the research or anything to see what they are doing but it seemed there was a nice detent in there which made the flipping action great. I got to say, it was better than what benchmade is doing. When they come out with a larger version that suits my preferences more, I'll be getting one.

Last edited:
Back