Cheapskate Heros

Do those snaps say something like the seal of the great state of Oklahoma? If they do, it’s made in Pakistan. A good ol boy I know imports leather vests from there and all the snaps look like that. They’re good quality.

Should say "GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA 1907" around the edge.
Sure sign of Pakistan / India origin.

Yes, now I see that! I just didn't pay attention. Exactly, "GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA 1907".

How bout a close up pic of one of the snaps?…

Here.

AZFUXtp.png

Cheepskate #2 - PF 818. Superb slicey blade geometry and action. It made me order several other PFs, none of which I liked half as much as this one.

7EQhHR1.jpg

The PF818 is both my favorite Petrified Fish and my favorite design from David Chen. The "trident" grind of the blade looks interesting and performs well. I actually sent mine one out for testing. On both hardness and overall edge retention, it was among the best for all the Chinese D2 tested.

I've since done some ergonomic rounding to the scales and upgraded to Skiff Bearings. Yeah, it might sound silly to put $12 bearings into a $30 knife but it's a really good $30 knife and that takes it over the top.

Forgive the picture quality but here it is in an older pic with a couple of other extreme budget gems. The top knife is the Tangram Santa Fe from Kizer's short-lived budget sub-brand. It runs a nice, thin, slicey blade in Japanese Acuto 440 (similar to 9Cr18Mov) and cost like $25 when it was still in production. The bottom knife is my Sencut Snap in 9Cr18Mov with some handle wear. I've since upgraded that one to Skiff bearings and refinished the scales. While $45 new, it is now discontinued and can often be found on sale.

O2dIvyT.jpeg

Here is another budget gem, the Sencut Neches in 10Cr15CoMov (a Chinese analog of VG-10). The mostly neutral ergonomics, rounded scale edges, and Micarta texture feel great in my hand. It's relatively compact but I can still get a full grip. The action on ceramic bearings is nice and snappy out to solid lock-up. Overall, it's one of my favorite knives.

It was closer to $50 when first released but now that it is discontinued, you can find various versions as low as $25 if you look around.

Here is mine with a similarly good budget smoke that can often be found on sale.

zsy00EK.jpg

The civivi voltaic is a gem. Stainless steel handles with a micarta inlay. 14c28n steel with a gorgeous stonewash. The action is crisp and fast. It cuts like a razor. Liner lock. Deep carry pocket clip. All for $43. An absolute steal.

You're right about the value here. While decent at its initial price, being discontinued and on sale for that price really pushes the value. I got a few to do scale swaps:

H6NcvRe.jpg

pktLZTo.jpg

You're right about the value here. While decent at its initial price, being discontinued and on sale for that price really pushes the value. I got a few to do scale swaps:

H6NcvRe.jpg

pktLZTo.jpg
I’ll add, free two day shipping from Amazon and free return if you don’t like it is the cherry on top 😂 I also bought the discontinued model Banneret in nitro V and it’s pretty classy as well.

I am also quite fond of the cold steel safe maker 2. An excellent self defense tool. I use paracord to make it an off-hand scout-carry rig. These bad boys are like $40. Although pretty unilateral in use.

Here are a couple of little fixed blades with friendly price tags. Sure, they only run 8Cr14Mov but that's okay at this price level.

The Outdoor Edge Le Duck seems to be discontinued now but was around $25. Like the Cold Steel Safe Maker, it can fit into a minimal-requirement defensive-use role. The rotatable sheath and retention mechanism are actually excellent in that regard. There are two current-production models with similar specs but different blade shapes, Le Hawk and the Pivot, that are closer to $30.

The Tonife Squirrel is a truly tiny fixed blade with surprisingly good ergonomics and a surprisingly excellent sheath. This one is the older version in 7Cr17Mov. The current version runs 8Cr14Mov and costs like $20. If you look around, you can find it with either a bead necklace, a clip, or both.

u4cRtdS.jpg

nrOnETi.jpg

Chronovore Chronovore Nice little fixies. I used to have a couple of the little Outdoor Edge Wedge knives and thought they were the coolest. I still think they're cool, but not cool enough to dive to the bottom of a river to find them. And I'm too cheap to pay ebay prices for a replacement.

r3XOxD9.jpeg

I remember the swedge because I got it free with a mag subscription.

Chronovore Chronovore Nice little fixies. I used to have a couple of the little Outdoor Edge Wedge knives and thought they were the coolest. I still think they're cool, but not cool enough to dive to the bottom of a river to find them. And I'm too cheap to pay ebay prices for a replacement.

Nice! I remember seeing that one but never got it. I actually have a Le Hawk but it's probably in storage somewhere.

So here are stock pictures of Le Hawk and two versions of the Pivot; which seem to be a replacement to the bird-themed series. Le Hawk is still widely available but Le Duck seems to have gone the way of the Wedge.

VkemqZr.jpeg

B6IGzFP.jpeg

4ArTwnk.jpeg

My vote goes to the Kershaw Leek. It is so well known that no photo is necessary;). A proven design made in the U.S.A. that can be purchased new for around $50.00 - hard to beat,
Much the same can be said about many of the Kershaw line of folding, and assisted-opening, knives. My only issue with the Kershaw/Ken Onion Leek is its all-too-easily-broken safety.

I only collect fixed-blade knives, but that doesn't mean I can't have a few cherished folders. At last count, four of them are Kershaws including one Leek. (Most of the rest are SAKs.)

I am also quite fond of the cold steel safe maker 2. An excellent self defense tool. I use paracord to make it an off-hand scout-carry rig. These bad boys are like $40. Although pretty unilateral in use.
View attachment 2527105

View attachment 2527106

What a cute little thing! I wish I could have one. Illegal where I live. As a matter of fact, am I allowed to swear on this forum?

Back