Cheapskate Heros

Here is another budget gem that people tend to overlook. The Harnds Talisman was first released released in AUS-8 for around $35, probably a year or two before the debut of Civivi. Running on bearings, it had groundbreaking budget action for the time. (Coincidentally, Harnds is made by the same company as Tonife and represents their next tier up. While it's a secret, there is at least some evidence to suggest that they've also done OEM work for Kershaw.)

It has since been upgraded to 14C28N but they've kept the price down around $40.

xSB5fnz.jpg

What a cute little thing! I wish I could have one. Illegal where I live.
Just wondering what does that mean... illegal.
Does it mean you can't buy it where you live or you can buy it but you can't wear it but you can have it at home or not? Confusing.
By the way, I don't care what's illegal round here. If I like it I buy and wear. Hmmm, does that makes me a criminal?
Cops around here don't stop you in the middle of the town and search you.
Gosh, I have no idea what knife is legal to carry around here. I know firearms are illegal if you don't have some sort of permit but knives... no idea.
By the way, some laws are just imbecile... like UK law... you can carry slipjoint picket knife but illegal to carry a pocket knife with a lock. Just moronic. Does this law makes Opinels.... hmmmm... they have a lock, don't they. 🙄

Much the same can be said about many of the Kershaw line of folding, and assisted-opening, knives. My only issue with the Kershaw/Ken Onion Leek is its all-too-easily-broken safety.
I have never felt the need for the safety and don't use it, but it is a very simple mechanism - how in the heck do you manage to break it?

I have never felt the need for the safety and don't use it, but it is a very simple mechanism - how in the heck do you manage to break it?
Simple but delicate. I dropped the closed knife on a hard floor. In fact, it happened with two of them. I heard that it happened SO often that Kershaw made some modifications.

The blade opens so easily that, without the safety, it represents a bit of a hazard in one's pocket.

Just wondering what does that mean... illegal.
Does it mean you can't buy it where you live or you can buy it but you can't wear it but you can have it at home or not? Confusing.

I guess, "possession" is the key word. I'm not sure though. What I'm more sure about is that there is the most despicable sort of cops, the ones who roam internet forums like this and rat on members who are not very careful with disclosing too much information. These are the most contemptible people who don't deserve any respect.

By the way, some laws are just imbecile... like UK law... you can carry slipjoint picket knife but illegal to carry a pocket knife with a lock. Just moronic.

Oh yeah! I heard about that. Horrible! I'm glad I'm not in the UK.

I guess, "possession" is the key word. I'm not sure though. What I'm more sure about is that there is the most despicable sort of cops, the ones who roam internet forums like this and rat on members who are not very careful with disclosing too much information.
The same goes with thieves, ya know. One should always be careful of what one posts, anywhere........!

Simple but delicate. I dropped the closed knife on a hard floor. In fact, it happened with two of them. I heard that it happened SO often that Kershaw made some modifications.

The blade opens so easily that, without the safety, it represents a bit of a hazard in one's pocket.
I never have had that problem.

I guess, "possession" is the key word. I'm not sure though. What I'm more sure about is that there is the most despicable sort of cops, the ones who roam internet forums like this and rat on members who are not very careful with disclosing too much information. These are the most contemptible people who don't deserve any respect.
People actually do that? People need better hobbies.

I’m totally impressed by the Petrified Fish Beluga.

Best thing I’ve ever found for under $50.

Petrified Fish is usually good for the price. While I mentioned the PF818 earlier, I've had a bunch of knives from them and a few of the $30ish knives have been remarkable. If I didn't mention it, I actually sent out a few for different kinds of testing. They are among the best when it comes to Chinese D2 and doing that on the bottom of the price spectrum feels like an achievement.

I spent many years carrying a Leek almost every day. (You know, before I had a massive "EDC rotation" and carried a different knife every day.) The safety seemed like a superfluous and fiddly mechanism that worked against the fast-opening benefit of that sort of knife. So I didn't use it. After all, I never used safeties on my carry guns so I wasn't worried.

Unlike guns though, where proper carry involves a holster that covers the trigger, the flipper tab on my Leek would sometimes bump on things a little. It wasn't a lot but it happened. This mattered because the detent on my Leek had a lot of slop (to put it mildly). It was possible to edge the fine tip of that blade above the scale line without engaging the assist. So it would just be hanging out there enough to snag something. Because of the tip shape, snagging against something would often translate to outward pressure against the blade, and just enough to engage the assist...

One day, that happened to my hand as I picked it up from a table. It hurt and there was enough blood that the safety became mandatory after that. That in turn was annoying and ultimately led to me retiring the knife. I carried other assisted knives with safer detents until eventually, good manual actions became more affordable and more widely available. Now I'm in a happy place.

Back