Checking Out The HEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I got a H.E.S.T. a little while back for an urban kit I am putting together.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

The day I got it I only had time to check it out a little but really liked how it handled, and liked the hollow cavity in the handle.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

It did make a great improvised snow show to clear my windshield wipers. I even used the pry bar to open my frozen door once (no pics of prying the door, it took two hands).

IMG_0147.jpg

I took it out for a bit this morning checking it out in a little field craft. It's a small-ish knife but using a two finger grip, which the pry bar really comes in handy for by the way, I was able to chop so far and then break some solid branches really quickly.

IMG_0498.jpg

Then batoning them went really well, the handle scales never loosened or gave me any problems at all.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Then I decided to try something a little bigger so I tried it on a piece of seasoned, forked, Black Walnut. And that was no problem either and still no loosening of the scales. I'm liking RAT's system of adding scales to skeletonized handles, I will likely get some for my Izula...that should be here tomorrow...if they ever start making any tan ones.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

I used it with a baton to split off some pieces of fatwood off of a fatwood log I found a while back.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Then I did a little more whittling with it. First in fatwood, and then a piece of Black Birch I found laying around. I am well pleased with how it handles and how it cuts.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

You can always tell when I really like something when I end up getting multiples...at least when I can afford it. I'm reeeally liking the H.E.S.T.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

I even like the bottle opener as my knife is usually the easiest thing for me to get my hands on :D

IMG_0287.jpg

Good stuff Bro, thanks for posting!

Thanks man, glad you liked it. You posted so quick I don't know if you saw all three parts or not.

By the way, how long does it usually take to get issued a number :) ? I noticed earlier that 575 is still open...hint hint

I love my HEST. Glad to see you have two. I'll be buying another as back-up in the near future. In the meantime, I have my IZULA around my neck.

RATPACK573red.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures!

Thanks bro!

Wish I could say the same about you sig line :p

I love my HEST. Glad to see you have two. I'll be buying another as back-up in the near future. In the meantime, I have my IZULA around my neck.

I'm definitely loving the HEST, my Izula should be here tomorrow and I'll likely be wishing I had ordered some tan paracord too.

Rock On! Anyone with two DPx H•E•S•Ts and a cold beer is Ok in my book. What I can't figure out is with all that kindling and log splitting...did you at least throw a steak on the fire to have with your Heinie??? You know that that H•E•S•T is perfect for cutting a good steak! :) Cheers to two fisted H•E•S•T lovers!

Nice review! Thanks for the nice pics.

The HEST is a very capable knife as you have well demonstrated.

Great write up Mist! Knew you would do a good review.... you always do. Glad you like the HEST, I was pretty sure you would. :)

It seems like every 5 minutes I change my mind about what ESEE knife I want to get next, they are all awesome. After this review, the next 5 minutes belong to the HEST. :)

I think the next ESEE knife I get will be the HEST, I was thinking of the 3 but the hest seems a little more useful.

HEST is the BEST Thanks for sharing your pics. I carry my HEST with me everywhere I go.

Great pictures. I have to say I really enjoy it too. It is a great size. I also keep a small firesteel in the handle with some other helpful goodies. I added a cordlock/compass combination with my paracord. It gives you one more essential item in a time of need.

http://safezonellc.com/clcompass.html

Nice review and pics!

Thanks man, glad you liked the post.

Rock On! Anyone with two DPx H•E•S•Ts and a cold beer is Ok in my book. What I can't figure out is with all that kindling and log splitting...did you at least throw a steak on the fire to have with your Heinie??? You know that that H•E•S•T is perfect for cutting a good steak! :) Cheers to two fisted H•E•S•T lovers!

Thank you sir, I'm very glad you enjoyed the write-up. I'm certainly enjoying your knife design.

Actually no...that Heinie got opened in the middle of the night as I drank a toast to some close friends in the here and now... and some that are long lost. But that is a really good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind for the next fire as I am sure that it is.

Nice review! Thanks for the nice pics.

The HEST is a very capable knife as you have well demonstrated.

Thanks man, glad you liked.

Yep, it is proving very capable!

Great write up Mist! Knew you would do a good review.... you always do. Glad you like the HEST, I was pretty sure you would. :)

Thanks Mr. C, I was pretty sure I would like it a lot when I ordered it.

Great pics and review! im glad to see some more HEST love out there

Thanks man, definitely feeling some love here!

It seems like every 5 minutes I change my mind about what ESEE knife I want to get next, they are all awesome. After this review, the next 5 minutes belong to the HEST. :)

Lol, I went through that myself for days!

I think the next ESEE knife I get will be the HEST, I was thinking of the 3 but the hest seems a little more useful.

I think it boils down to the chosen environment, and blade thickness pref. I went back and forth between the RC3, RC4, Izula, for days thinking the HEST too big for my purposes...thenl I learned the dimensions of the HEST and that ended my decission making very quickly.

This is not helping my resisting a HEST.

Sorry bro :)

HEST is the BEST Thanks for sharing your pics. I carry my HEST with me everywhere I go.

Thanks man, I have been too.

Great pictures. I have to say I really enjoy it too. It is a great size. I also keep a small firesteel in the handle with some other helpful goodies. I added a cordlock/compass combination with my paracord. It gives you one more essential item in a time of need.

http://safezonellc.com/clcompass.html

Thanks man. Not a bad price I think I'll pick a couple of those up and see how they do, thanks for the link.

Thanks for the pics. That was a pretty good review!

Thanks man! And so ends part one...my reviews are never that short :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back