Checking Out The HEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great review. I love to see knives being put to proper use. To many pictures of clean knives show up. I like to see them getting dirty ;)

Glad to see you're putting the HEST to good use. Haven't found a job the tough little sucker can't handle. Great knife.

What's the bag you have in the top pics, Mist? a Maxped Sitka? (wow, RYP was right, we do have a fetish with maxped bags here. :D)

EDIT: Whoops, just saw the bag in a couple of other threads. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Very nice review. I wished I bought a HEST instead of the RC3. It looks like a better fit for me and how I would use the thing. Sucks to be me since I can't really afford to get another knife right now.

Great review. I love to see knives being put to proper use. To many pictures of clean knives show up. I like to see them getting dirty ;)

Thanks man, they never stay clean for long with me.

Glad to see you're putting the HEST to good use. Haven't found a job the tough little sucker can't handle. Great knife.

Yeah, I've beat the crap out of it lately and it is proving itself tough...as I hoped it would. I'm happy with my first RAT purchase...there will be more.

What's the bag you have in the top pics, Mist? a Maxped Sitka? (wow, RYP was right, we do have a fetish with maxped bags here. :D)

EDIT: Whoops, just saw the bag in a couple of other threads. Nevermind.

Yep, it's a sitka. I wouldn't so much say I have a maxped fetish...this is my only one so far. I do sort of have a bag fetish over-all....somewhat of a knife fetish....and a bit of a breas...ok, never mind that, I should probably just stick with the subject at hand. This bag suits my wants and needs for a particular set of circumstances. I will likely buy one more maxped bag also...but I doubt I'll start a collection.

Very nice review. I wished I bought a HEST instead of the RC3. It looks like a better fit for me and how I would use the thing. Sucks to be me since I can't really afford to get another knife right now.

From what I read you have a fine knife, and are in great company. I don't see how it sucks to be you...but if you like the design that much you should really try to get one later if you can. I am really happy with my first choice, but have other RAT knives in the works as well.

if you really want a HEST - post your RC3 in the trade section -- offer your RC3 and $20 for a HEST and see how fast you get a taker from someone who didn't like the prybar.

if you really want a HEST - post your RC3 in the trade section -- offer your RC3 and $20 for a HEST and see how fast you get a taker from someone who didn't like the prybar.

I might do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I might do that, thanks for the suggestion.
or even better - send me an email -- I have a buddy with an RC3 and he may be willing to trade. OD blade, Orange G10 scales.

great pictures , great knife, and of course , great work batoning that HEST :D
personaly, even if the HEST has more uses to it, i like the izula shape more, more clean, much simpler
thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, glad you liked the post.

I just got my Izula in today. I really love it too... but I still like the HEST more as a primary fixed blade with the Izula as a back-up.

why is that ?
the HEST feels stronger ? lets see some pics :)

Yes, it has a heavier designed skeletal handle, is made of thicker steel and does feel stronger.

Don't worry, there are more pics to come...it's just that atmospheric conditions are not conducive to photos today...I'm not taking my camera out into this cold rain we're getting right now.

Great photos! I am wavering badly now. I thought I was set to order an RC-4 but I also like the HEST. I flip flop daily now. Oh, what to do. Guess I plan to buy both, but which one first?

Great review Mistwalker!

I'm still on the fence on the H.E.S.T.. I just don't see any use for the bottle opener, though I would like to pick up a knife in the same size range.

Great photos! I am wavering badly now. I thought I was set to order an RC-4 but I also like the HEST. I flip flop daily now. Oh, what to do. Guess I plan to buy both, but which one first?

Thanks! I can't say much there...I bought the HEST first...then an Izula, and now I'm ordering an RC4. Buy in order of priority of needs/wants from a knife....which one you think will suit more purposes for you particular situation. I needed small and stout first and liked the extras..then I wanted something smaller...now I'm wanting something a little larger for a project later on.

Great review Mistwalker!

I'm still on the fence on the H.E.S.T.. I just don't see any use for the bottle opener, though I would like to pick up a knife in the same size range.

Thanks Mike, it was the size range and dimensions that first drew me to it. The rest was icing on the cake.

"I just don't see any use for the bottle opener, though I would like to pick up a knife in the same size range."

If you actually hold the knife you will see why that notch is there. It gives spectacular control of the blade for fine work. Its also lined up with the wire cutter/choil as a lashing point. You really don't have to open beer with (I use the prybar to pop caps anyway) As for size many people confuse specs with ergonomics. The DPx H•E•S•T has a very large well shaped handle and secure index and pinky guards (via the prybar) It also has brutal downward stab profile with your thumb on the back end of the prybar. Also don't forget the thickness. The DPx H•E•S•T is as thick as the 10 inch ESEE bush knife. Its going to give you a very different feel than a traditional knife. The DPx H•E•S•T has that same feel that a Browning or Louisville slugger has. Heavy and reliable.

"I just don't see any use for the bottle opener, though I would like to pick up a knife in the same size range."

If you actually hold the knife you will see why that notch is there. It gives spectacular control of the blade for fine work. Its also lined up with the wire cutter/choil as a lashing point. You really don't have to open beer with (I use the prybar to pop caps anyway) As for size many people confuse specs with ergonomics. The DPx H•E•S•T has a very large well shaped handle and secure index and pinky guards (via the prybar) It also has brutal downward stab profile with your thumb on the back end of the prybar. Also don't forget the thickness. The DPx H•E•S•T is as thick as the 10 inch ESEE bush knife. Its going to give you a very different feel than a traditional knife. The DPx H•E•S•T has that same feel that a Browning or Louisville slugger has. Heavy and reliable.

The H.E.S.T. definitely has a very positive grip, it feels great in underhand and overhand positions, and it does have a weight that inspires confidence. The ramp of the bottle opener gives great control for changing the direction of cut when used with thumb or forefinger as in whittling, skinning, or food prep. As soon as the weather cooperates I'm going to do some video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back