• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Chef's Utility Blade 52100 (SOLD)

I call this the "CUB". "Chef's Utility Blade". The blade is made from 52100 high carbon steel, but the heat treatment has been tweaked just a little bit after discussing some things with other makers. After normalizing and three thermal cycles, this blade was given a "DET" annealing process that basically re-spheroidizes the carbides. The hardening temperature was raised from 1475°F to 1525°F, quenched in a fast oil, and then given a sub zero (-100°F) bath to ensure a good martensite transformation. The final step was a triple tempering, 2 hours each cycle at 300°F, for a final hardness of 64-65HRC. That sort of hardness is not seen often in knives, but makes for excellent edge retention as long as it isn't abused. Chipping along the edge is usually the result when a hard, thin blade is torqued heavily or used to cut hard or frozen foods, or on a plate instead of a cutting board. But as long as the knife is used as intended, the thin and very hard edge will last longer than a thicker softer edge would. The blade has a gentle distal taper from the handle to the tip, was given a full flat grind, and thinned out in the area just above the cutting edge. I don't think this blade will ever need thinning in the future. The photo of the choil area shows off the thin grind, and had not yet been sharpened! It has excellent geometry for slicing and dicing! The blade was hand polished to 800 grit for a clean satin finish. The handle is made from a stunning piece of quilted maple with a purple heart spacer. Hand rubbed to 1200 grit, then treated with Watco Danish Oil for penetration, TruOil for a nice sheen, and wax coats for protection. The balance point is right at the handle/blade conjunction. I absolutely love using the right tool for the job, and this knife fits the bill in the kitchen!

OAL: 12"
Blade: 7"
Handle: 5"
Thickness: 0.100", tapered to tip
Steel: 52100 64-65HRC
Edge: 13° per side, 3 micron, 0.005" prior to sharpening

cUTnx2F.jpg

Kf0KreK.jpg

nvPxBR5.jpg

Asking price for this cutting machine is only SOLD, and includes a felt-lined plastic edge protector and free shipping anywhere in the USA. PayPal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). As always, lifetime "write your own" warranty and free blade polishing/sharpening. Thank you for looking! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
In my kitchen, I always grab the slicer I got from you years ago. I'm careful with the edge, and I've only had to sharpen it a few times. The best prepping tool I use. It's wicked sharp and light.

Back