• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Chestnut Bowie....Price Drop

Hi Everyone,

Up for sale is a Bowie I recently finished. Specs are as follows:

7 3/4" edge quenched blade of 1075, hand rubbed to 1500 grit and finished with 600 grit pull strokes.

Handle is 300 plus year old chestnut recovered from my buddies farm house. It has been stored in his barn for the last 60 or so years. It has absolutely gorgeous grain throughout....but the butt end is just insane....sanded to 2500 grit, the cooper like "rays" just jump out at you.

The guard is hand carved 4 piece nickel silver as well as a singe hammer peened pin.

O.A.L. is right at 13"

As always the blade comes with a hand stitched leather sheath by my father-in-law Paul Wittle.

$600.00 $500.00 $450.00 $425.00 $400.00 $375.00 plus $15.00 insured shipping anywhere in the lower 48

Thanks for looking,:)

Attachments

• photo-119.jpg
    photo-119.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 210
  • photo-123.jpg
    photo-123.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 148
  • photo-106.jpg
    photo-106.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 146
  • photo-109.jpg
    photo-109.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0705.jpg
    DSC_0705.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 184
Wow ! This is a beautiful knife, so well proportioned and finely finished. I'm sorry to see such a price drop.
I don't collect or use large knives so it's not for me but it is a steal for those who do prefer this size.
roland

If I had the funds available, it would be mine, it is gorgeous. I don't understand why it hasn't sold already.

Hi,
How thick is the blade?
Would it stand up to heavy chopping duties? I have need of a chopper to come bowhunting with me and I would be proud to wear this beauty.
If it is 1/4" thick I'm very interested.
Cheers

Hi Andy,

This on e is forge from 1/4" bar stock. It is tapered from the riccaso to the point for a light fast 10 oz fighting style Bowie. A little light for serious chopping duties though.

I think it is heavy duty enough to chop branches or brush out of the way for bow hunting. It's usually thinner branches that might need clearing out. (please excuse me for speaking up but i'm interested and following this thread as i think about it.)
roland

Hi Andy,

This on e is forge from 1/4" bar stock. It is tapered from the riccaso to the point for a light fast 10 oz fighting style Bowie. A little light for serious chopping duties though.
Thanks Bobby - do you have a photo of the spine?
Thanks

I think it is heavy duty enough to chop branches or brush out of the way for bow hunting. It's usually thinner branches that might need clearing out. (please excuse me for speaking up but i'm interested and following this thread as i think about it.)
roland

Hi Roland,

Agree, perfectly suitable for clearing shooting lanes, blind making , etc. However I want one I can use for that and batoning, take apart a 5" round log if need be and general heavy abuse. I'm hard on my gear.
Cheers

Usually, my choppers are more forward heavy than this bowie. The balance point is about 3/4" to 1" in front of the guard. With my choppers the balance point rests about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" in front of the guard.

Here are a few shots of the spine and how she looks in the hand.

Thanks for the nice words.

Bobby

Attachments

• photo-127.jpg
    photo-127.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
  • photo-128.jpg
    photo-128.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
  • photo-131.jpg
    photo-131.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 21