1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese 9Cr18Mov credible or not

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dude1, Nov 10, 2018.

1. dude1

dude1

Nov 10, 2018
    I'm considering getting the Brothers of Bushcraft knife.

Before that, I found some exact Far East knockoffs some claim are made from 9Cr18Mov while others with the exact same pictures and price show 7Cr17Mov instead.

Do I have any reason to believe these blades are made from 9Cr18Mov or just 7Cr17Mov given the price of about $26.80?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. ericdraven

ericdraven

Jan 31, 2013
    sounds to good to be true it usually is . go with gut not with wallet

3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    There’s no proof it’s even 7Cr17Mov. That’s the problem with not buying from a legitimate dealer/company.

strategy9 and buckfynn like this.
  4. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Hi @dude1 and welcome to the forum.

Tops make an excellent knife, have very nice fit and finish, and offer great customer support. I highly recommend purchasing one from a reputable knife dealer. Ordering from Amazon opens the potential for getting a fake or sub standard exchanged model.

Also Aliexpress is quite unpopular with this forum, as they sell clones and direct fakes of reputable knife makers.

Good luck in your search!

5. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Welcome to Blade Forums. You should remove the links to non-supporting vendors. It’s breaking the rules you agreed to under TOS.

Also, this isn’t the place to discuss the merits of clones and counterfeits. I think there’s a Reddit group for that.

Avoid clones, counterfeits and knock-offs and the locations that sell them. Buy from reputable dealers and you stand a better chance of getting what what was advertised.

Good luck.

6. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    It’s not the “Chinese” part that’s a problem. As with products from anywhere else in the world, reputable companies care about their brand. Reate, Kizer, WE, Real Steel, Rike... all Chinese, all good.

If you shop on an unregulated market, as aliexpress is, then you dramatically increase your chances of getting burned.

Hackenslash and Mo2 like this.
  7. dude1

dude1

Nov 10, 2018
    Never seen such a swift forum.
    Amazing.
    Let me know if I have to remove the links and I will.

RBid and Hackenslash like this.
  8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Avoid Ali express, Amazon, eBay, dhgate.

They are also not vendors here and you can't link to them. Please remove the links.

We also don't support clones here of which those few are. Avoid clones they are just bad knives.

As for if the steel is good... It's likely not a good heat treatment. We knives have some in there civivi line which has been heat treated well. Look that direction.
    Kizer has some fixed blades too with a decent heat treatment.

Hackenslash likes this.
  9. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Hey dude, we may sound harsh but we appreciate your interest in our forum!
    Clones/Replicas are extremely looked down upon in these parts! We support the originators of knife and tool designs. Selling clones and replicas is a form of theft. We don't take kindly to thieves here either (not implying you're a thief) .
    I'd (as well of the most of us, I assume) want and encourage you to stick around.
    Please just follow the rules that you agreed too and enjoy!
    Although I don't currently own a Tops knife I know they make a great, hard use, and an American made knife! It'll last you a lifetime and if you have an issue you'll recieve top notch customer service! I look forward to your future posts!

Mo2, Sharp & Fiery and Hackenslash like this.
  10. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Dude, you are talking about "Chinese" knockoffs. Not "Far East" knockoffs. No other country in the Far East has the kind of issues you are talking about to any significant extent if at all. Or the steels you mentioned.

11. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    Can we...

OK. Simply put:

“Knock off” = always a bad thing.

“Chinese” = sometimes actually %^*#ing awesome.

Why do we keep attaching origin, instead of correctly identifying that the problem is proliferation of knock offs and fakes on unregulated markets?

12. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Save yourself a painful experience. Take your time, save and get A real TOPS Fieldcraft in 154cm, YOU WONT REGRET.

Skip to 4:30

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    I would buy from more reputable companies first. Good warranties, good support from good people. You can not put a price on these things.

strategy9 likes this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Don't support clones, no matter the quality.

15. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    9Cr18MoV is the equivalent of 440B. It's completely plausible that it's used in a $26 knife, especially one from a company without any marketing overhead. On the other hand, regardless of if it's really 7Cr or 9Cr, would either of those be a steel you want?

Tops knives are definitely expensive, but you can find plenty of comparable (IMO) legitimate knives for less - ESEE, Ka-Bar, etc. Or, if you are looking for a scandi bushcraft knife, take a look at some of the actual Scandinavian makers - I'm a huge fan of Enzo, personally. Or, for a bit more you can get an LT Wright in A2 or 3V.