Chinese Kershaw Quality?

Hope that this question does not get me in trouble!

What do members WHO HAVE OWNED SAMPLES think of the quality of Chinese made Kershaw knives? I note that some appear to be real bargains if they are not total garbage. In fact I have a Tremor on order. Please note my capitalization for emphasis above. I want to read responses from those with experience, not just opinions.

I recognize that Chinese product quality in many areas varies tremendously depending on individual manufacturer used. In optics for instance some makers are used by Nikon, Canon, Leitz and Zeiss and meet their quality standards. Others turn out trash. The same for measuring instruments such as calipers and micrometers. So how does the manufacturer Kershaw uses for their Chinese production perform?:confused:

I own a couple of Cryos and have gifted a few. They are great knives, IMO, and still fully backed by Kershaw in the event that there is something wrong with the knife.

All my Cryo's came with a very decent grind. Not quite as precise as what you'd see on a ZT, but still sharp enough to use straight from the box.

I have a couple and would say that the quality is very good, if not exceptional. I put of buying a Cryo for a long time. Once I actually was able to inspect one, I went ahead and purchased it. Good fit and finish and good quality fasteners, which is something I look for.

Tom

I have way more than a couple and Im pretty impressed, good bang for the buck and the people I give them to really like them

volt II is a great knife, and cryo is too.... really havent run into a BAD quality kershaw at all.

Picked up a Clash about a month ago. I was also interested in checking their China quality. So far, so great. It's got a solid feel, good balance, and literally came shaving-sharp out of the box. I'm really impressed.

I love Kershaws imported line, I use a Scamp all the time, and have given away Scamps, Chills, and Volt IIs. I think they're great users and the 18CR steel they use is fine for a working knife. I've got a Boker Epicenter in my pocket now, so that means I'm really excited to see the new Rexford colabs from KAI, especially the Chinese produced Injection.

I love my Cryo. I carry it on a regular basis and haven't had any problems with it at all.

I have several - Cryo, Chill, Volt II, OSO Sweet, Half Ton. Have also given away several (a few Cryos, a Chill, and a Volt II). All the ones I've handled have been good. Good materials and build quality, and relatively inexpensive.

I'm really looking forward to several of the import models announced for this year. Rexford Injection... Hinderer Thermite... RJ Martin Scrambler...

I love Kershaw's "value line", and I own several. They are quality knives for an unbeatable value. Most of them come shaving-sharp. Personally, I really like the Cryo, Oso Sweet, and any of the "Ton" series. I have yet to get my hands on a Volt.

I've owned two different Vapors, Clash, Chill, Grant County, Asset, both size Crowns, OD-1, Cryo. I also gifted a Clash to one of my groomsmen (the others got more traditional folders). I loved the Cryo so much I spent the extra money to get a custom carbon fiber scale for it. It reduced the weight by about a full ounce. Kershaw makes amazing knives regardless of country of origin. Don't hesitate with them for a second.

Oh, and an O So Sweet. The quality is so high on that one, I sometimes forget it's overseas produced.

I have several Kershaw knives, and as much as I like their product I believe in their company. I have never heard once of them NOT standing behind their product.

With that in mind, I bought 4 Kershaw Crown knives a couple of years ago after a "heads up" here from someone that found them for $10 at the big blue box.

The knives were open in the locked position in the clam pack and I was able to see that a couple of the knives (about 100 or so were on the display) had some over travel on the liner when locked. I picked out the four I purchased and took them home. Although the price was a factor, I like the knife so much I bought a couple of more so I could keep one for use and one in case I lost it.

I use it as an EDC in my construction work, and it is absolutely great. The others that got the same knife as a gift from me love theirs as well (and actually use them!) and think I bought them a $75 knife. To this day, they all lock up solid as they like to show them off to me when we get together so I will know they still carry them.

The half ton I bought is a good little knife. Gave that one to my nephew, and he hasn't killed it yet. Bought several Kershaw "Ace" keychain knives to give away as thank you gifts, and although the fit of scales/liners/backsprings wasn't perfect, the knives locked up tight.

If I found a pattern I liked and it was branded Kershaw, I would buy in confidence knowing you will likely get much more than you paid for.

Robert

The Tremor is the best $20 (shipped) I've ever spent on a knife period.

The quality is outstanding on all levels. The fit & finish, blade sharpness out of the box, lock up and deployment are all above satisfactory. They didn't cut any corners on this knife and it shows. Not to mention it feels great in hand.

I've only had a couple of the other Chinese made Kershaws and also found the quality above average. Very impressive considering the low cost.

That about sums it up.

Last edited:
There quality is awesome... There China made knives are some of the sharpest knives I've ever owned. I love my Cryos.

The Tremor is the best $20 (shipped) I've ever spent on a knife period.

Man I've been going back and forth about picking this one up, and I don't know why. How long have you had your Tremor?

Back