Chisel Grind...Why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by d762nato, Jan 6, 2016.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    In the case of removing limbs from a still-living tree it's not feasible to move the workpiece. :D

Have a link to the review you're referencing?

At any rate, the purpose of posting the diagram (both in original context and in this thread) was to show the method by which flush cuts can be achieved with a double-beveled blade. In fact, in some circumstances such a method may be the only viable one due to clearance issues, even with a chisel grind (that is to say, that the beveled face would have to be against the work to lift the handle above and away from the target surface.)

2. chuxwan

chuxwan

Aug 26, 2012
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHOjv2-NqX0[/video]

I'm not going to try and make the fool's argument for using a chisel grind of limbing. That's what my scandinavian forest axe is for. :thumbup:

3. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks for the vdo.
    I love the chisel grind because why waste all that good metal?
    :D

4. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
  5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Here's a note on rotation of a blade relative to the handle, on the same nata.

[video=youtube;JSDT_tGnQSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDT_tGnQSU&feature=iv&src_vid=OHOjv2-NqX0&annotation_id=annotation_68875[/video]

Showing limbing work with the nata.

[video=youtube;-4lDCmRYF_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4lDCmRYF_M[/video]

For the sort of work that he shows in that video I usually use a billhook or chopping machete for. A thin-bitted hand axe or boy's axe does a decent job as well, of course.

Evidently, though, I'll need to do a video showing canted cuts with a double beveled tool.

6. jeffu87

jeffu87

Feb 8, 2011
    Ok lol. This is just silly as could be. Chisle grinds are for one purpose. Wood cutting. This is all gimmicky hype to stoke the fire to have ppl buy another knife by the same guys (in any scenario) . Wood. Wood wood wood. Any sharp object can cut straight or "power through" whatever. Ppl buying knives should know how to sharpen them and not need to have their hands held for ease of use.

7. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    That solves it.

/forum

8. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Thread bump. Read the whole thread and learned a lot! Finally answered Qs I had on that grind.

Dadpool likes this.
  9. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    So did you find out why?

10. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    The only chisel ground knife I have is a yanagi, or a sashimi knife.

They're great for cutting protein, especially fish or red meat.

I would, in my uses, see no other use for a chisel grind.

I've seen chisel grinds on pocket knives, would never, ever get one. If I was serving sashimi at a campground, I would simply just bring my yanagi.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  11. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    More like confirmed what I thought was the case was the pros/cons of the design.

12. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Chisel grind is very good for picking your teeth, and getting dirt out from under your fingernails.

13. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

14. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Actual Japanese woodworking kiridashi’s are insanely good knives when you need absolutely minimal cuts. The flat side doesn’t get in the way and only slight turn makes the knife bite the wood. Kiridashi knives come with bevel on both sides but also with dual grind for general purposes.

Also the flat side can be utilized when making very precise markings on materials with ruler.

15. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    I have a friend that has a chisel ground sword and we do a lot of target cutting. We both own several different kinds of swords but I do not own a chisel ground sword. The last time we did some cutting he brought it and asked me to cut with it. He said that every time he tried to cut with it it took a hard 70 degree curve as soon as it hit the target and went through and he wound up chopping the stand more than the mats or bottles. So I tried it. It wasn't just him. All of us tried it and all got the same result... 70 degree curve upon impact. The only differentiating factor between that sword and the others was the chisel grind. He swore he'd never buy another one. It's sad because I really love American Kami's stuff but won't buy any because of that grind.