Choil Haters Take Note!!!

Jerry Busse

We currently, have no plans to offer a "choil-less" version of any of our upcoming models.

However, we are going to offer a "Snag Free Choil" (SFC) option on the Dog Soldier through our custom shop. :cool: :thumbsup:

So, for those of you whose hate of choils stems from having them snag on hide or other soft or flexible media, we have the solution. :thumbsup: :cool:

We put a slightly convexed bevel on the front of the choil. Snags on soft media are virtually eliminated as they roll right out of the choil. Your cutting edge will only be approx. 1/4" shorter with this custom modification. :thumbsup:

For those whose dislike of choils stems from wanting a slightly longer edge, you'll need to buy a slightly longer model.;) :thumbsup:

Let's Drink! :thumbsup:

Jerry :D

Standard Choil
Dog%20Soldier%205-X3.jpg

Dog%20Soldier%20Choil%20Close-up-X2.jpg

SFC (Snag Free Choil)
Dog%20Soldier%20SFC-X3.jpg

Dog%20Soldier%20SFC%20Close%20up-XL.jpg

Ooh nice. While I've never had a snagging problem, I do have large fingers and that SFC looks super comfy.

Jerry please help identify # 4,5 & 6
We currently, have no plans to offer a "choil-less" version of any of our upcoming models.

However, we are going to offer a "Snag Free Choil" (SFC) option on the Dog Soldier through our custom shop. :cool: :thumbsup:

So, for those of you whose hate of choils stems from having them snag on hide or other soft or flexible media, we have the solution. :thumbsup: :cool:

We put a slightly convexed bevel on the front of the choil. Snags on soft media are virtually eliminated as they roll right out of the choil. Your cutting edge will only be approx. 1/4" shorter with this custom modification. :thumbsup:

For those whose dislike of choils stems from wanting a slightly longer edge, you'll need to buy a slightly longer model.;) :thumbsup:

Standard Choil
Dog%20Soldier%205-X3.jpg

Dog%20Soldier%20Choil%20Close-up-X2.jpg

SFC (Snag Free Choil)
Dog%20Soldier%20SFC-X3.jpg

Dog%20Soldier%20SFC%20Close%20up-XL.jpg
Jerry please help identify # 4,5 &6 20884932_1913928408874610_429322148_n.jpg

Can we specify this when we order or do we wait for this version?

Jerry please help identify # 4,5 & 6

Jerry please help identify # 4,5 &6 View attachment 750479
4 Anniversary mean street Le hence the number
5 Swamp rat rodent 4 variant ( I believe ? )
6 elmax " hack " warden

Hope that helps
I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways this will bump it :)

Nice blades too :)

4 Anniversary mean street Le hence the number
5 Swamp rat rodent 4 variant ( I believe ? )
6 elmax " hack " warden

Hope that helps
I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways this will bump it :)

Nice blades too :)
Thank you man i am trying to figure out the value of these blades i found the hack warder from cupid ganza and found the rodent its desert storm varient fro knob creek but no prices

Ain't just the snagging bossman... It's the loss in usable edge closest to the handle and your solution to the snagging issue is more loss of usable edge.... Don't mind choils on choppers (blades over 7 1/2"), the rest I don't get why but with respect it's your show bossman and your party ...

Last edited:
Ain't just the snagging bossman... It's the loss in usable edge closest to the handle and your solution to the snagging issue is more loss of usable edge.... Don't mind choils on choppers (blades over 7 1/2"), the rest I don't get why but with respect it's your show bossman and your party ...
Well said. Also, without the choil the overall length could be about one inch less with the same amount of edge length - another advantage of no choil.

It's the loss in usable edge closest to the handle and your solution to the snagging issue is more loss of usable edge....:)

A usable choil puts the edge directly in front of your index finger. . . It's right there with your thumb directly above it offering the maximum amount of control over your rearward edge as possible. :thumbsup: :cool:

A knife with no choil can put your index finger more than an inch away from your index finger due to the guard and ricasso area. o_O:(

A usable choil gives you far better control of the edge. :thumbsup:

It is true that a knife with a usable choil can cost you approx. 1/2" to 3/4" of edge, but the ease of sharpening and superior rearward edge control are benefits that, I believe, outweigh the minor loss of edge length.

I respect your opinion and think we should discuss this over a bottle of scotch and several cigars!

We can get hammered and then whittle on barstool legs!!! :thumbsup: . . . And we'll do it all in the name of scientific research!!! :confused::eek::thumbsup::eek::cool:

I'm in for a standard choil but I am impressed that Jerry and Co. would accommodate those hogs that don't want a choil. I'll drink to that! :D

Choil is the lesser evil. The greater evil is messy transition between the heel, plunge line, and ricasso.

Two additional benefits of a choil:

1. The longer blade profile offers increased leverage

2. The chopping power of the knife will benefit from increased weight and length relative to a choil-less knife with equal edge length

Lastly, as Jerry noted, the choil gives you increased control for snack attack cut specificity.

Back