Choils on Small Knives?

How do you feel about choils on sub 5" knives?

• Love me some small choil!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I want a full finger choil on these little guys!

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Please dear Lord no more choils on little knives!

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a small knife I like a small choil for sharpening. The one on my AD is too small to use as a finger choil but bigger than it needs to be for sharpening. That knife was bought with the intent for it to be used as a game dressing knife so the front end is all that will really get used anyway. To my eye, some knives just don't look finished without some type of choil.
Usable choils seem to be something people either love or hate. I use the choil on my Rat-3 all the time.

I wish the choil on my SYKCO 511 was larger so I could use it, but it's of an odd size that is both too big for sharpening and too small for using. The ones on my parked regulator and rodent 6 are nice and comfy.

finger choils allow you to do detail work with smaller material also for hunting.

Bump to the top for the Choil opinion poll.. Vote and make your opinion known!

Bump to the top for the Choil opinion poll.. Vote and make your opinion known!

Happy, don't you know when to drop it? :rolleyes: Enough is enough; We get it, you're a choil hater. Jerry already stated his opinion, AND his near-term plans...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Happy, don't you know when to drop it? :rolleyes: Enough is enough; We get it, you're a choil hater. Jerry already stated his opinion, AND his near-term plans...

giphy.gif
Yup nothing but choils in the future, Jerry already stated this, and consequently I am;)

Last edited:
Maybe Im just not a hardcore knife user, but Ive never in my life been in a situation where I wished I needed to choke up on a knife beyond the grips, I can increase and adjust pressure just fine from above with my thumb. I do like jimping that I can dig into, that does the job for me.

Membership on BF has its privileges....BIG FUN :p

1. Elf choils...the platypus of the the Busse lineup...wth, make up your mind...are you a full choil or a sharpening notch? I don't like these aesthetically or for utility.

2. Tiny choils <sharpening notches>...makes the blade look "finished"....let's you sharpen the full length...minus>>>stringy materials get hung up in the notch.

3. Choiless...great for cutting ropey stuff like landscaping mesh and carpet...can't sharpen all the way to the tang, but that's not a huge deal-- at least the material can be "sawn" or shifted back onto the sharpened edge without getting hung up.

4. Full Choil with edge butting into tang/kick...think about the way Spyderco PM2's & Militarys are ground...perform a lot like choiless except with a bit more fore-ward control. Can't sharpen all the way to the end. But makes up for it by adding a degree of snagproof-ability-- a plus.

5. Full Choil with exposed edge...most Busse choiled models are ground this way...my favorite, for all the previously extolled reasons you guys noted and for the things Jerry himself noted. I put the middle part of my index finger adjacent to the end of the edge as a stop to keep ropey stuff from finding it's way into the choil and getting snagged kinda like a "bumper." Easiest of all grinds to sharpen all the length of the edge. Looks good, IMHO.

6. SAR 5 and HACKS...kinda in a class all by themselves...on one hand they don't have a traditional choil at all, but OTOH, one could argue they've got the biggest choil of them all-- being ALL CHOIL from the butt of the edge to the handle itself! I had a MS-e talon hole ground down like what @freehouse32 had done. Think about Tim's ubiquitous Meaner HACK...Makes for a nice, nimble in hand, easy to index, easily maintained slicer. I like these also.

"SpyderPhreak, post: 17406904, member: 132291"]Happy, don't you know when to drop it? :rolleyes: Enough is enough; We get it, you're a choil hater. Jerry already stated his opinion, AND his near-term plans...

giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]

OMX946W.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Can't remember what thread I saw it in. But Jerry stated something to the effect that, the no-choil sales numbers just don't show that people prefer them,,,

You beat me to it

No choil orders don't make it worth offering, according to Jerry. To each his own, but to me, they don't look right

I agree.....Can't stand choil-less in looks or use and seems nor does anyone else. Give me reduced cutting edge and a snag point any day of the week. These choil-less people....I don't know :rolleyes: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back