Recommendation? Choosing a new hunting knife

I'm shopping for a good fixed blade hunting knife. Something I can carry for field dressing/quartering big game (maybe boning in the field on rare occasion). I would also likely use it for some big game butchering tasks and on small game/birds. I know that no one knife will be perfect with all these tasks, but I want something capable if possible...

I currently use a folder with a 4" (3.5" cutting edge) inch blade and whats likely 420 steel (Gerber). It does the job, but does not hold an edge well. I'm also not a fan of cleaning a folder. Its always felt plenty big. Honestly, I also often grab a cheap fillet knife for many of the above tasks (I'm going to get a better fillet knife as well).

I dont want to spend a fortune as it will be a working knife, not a show piece. I don't want to be so afraid of loosing it that I leave it home. I can put a good edge on a knife (lanskey system), but I hate to have to stop and do it it with blood covered hands. I dont mind touching up a blade before I put it away.

I have a gift card for a local retailer so I have been looking at their offerings....considering the following:
White River Backpacker Pro, 3 inch blade, s35vn. $119.99
Scheck Knives, Badger 3.5 inch blade, Elmax, $129.99
Scheck Knives Ram 3.75 inch blade, Elmax, more belly than the other two, $144.99

I dont want to spend more than I have too. I would consider a knife in 3V or 51200 for the right price. I think they would hold an edge long enough to get the job done, but still be easy to touch up with a ceramic steel/strop/crock sticks...I keep my knives clean and dry so corrosion is a lessor consideration.

My experience with knives and steel is limited...VG10, N690, victorinox, 420 steels...

Anyone have experience with any of these knives as a hunting knife? I have read a lot (other threads, etc), but im still uncertain. Open to any suggestions. Thanks! I have learned a lot from ya all lurking around the forum!

Of the three you mention, I personally like the features and the look of the Badger. Good length, not too 'deep' (spine to edge) and a nice blade shape.

SVord makes a few economical blades with wood or rubber handles.

I’d look at Buck

102, 105, 117, Vanguard would be good places to start. Holds a good edge, in your price range, and a couple different steel options.

CS Master Hunter in 3V.

I second this.

It’s not flashy, but if has great geometry for hunting. Full flat ground, distal taper, rubber grip, easy to clean sheath, and fairly inexpensive for what you get. CPM-3V can take abuse pretty well and holds an edge for probably three times longer than something like 1095 during field dressing, calling, and de-boning. Easy to sharpen with a simple diamond sharpener.

I second this.

It’s not flashy, but if has great geometry for hunting. Full flat ground, distal taper, rubber grip, easy to clean sheath, and fairly inexpensive for what you get. CPM-3V can take abuse pretty well and holds an edge for probably three times longer than something like 1095 during field dressing, calling, and de-boning. Easy to sharpen with a simple diamond sharpener.

I have looked at CS. There 3v blades appear to be a good deal. Their knives seem to be a little thick and I have read a few mixed reviews about quality control. I'll give them another look. Thanks!

I’d look at Buck

102, 105, 117, Vanguard would be good places to start. Holds a good edge, in your price range, and a couple different steel options.

I'll give Buck another look. I know their heat treat on their 420 is supposed to be really good...I have just worried it might not be a big enough step up for me...Thanks.

Of the three you mention, I personally like the features and the look of the Badger. Good length, not too 'deep' (spine to edge) and a nice blade shape.

I like the look of it as well...hoping someone will have some first hand experience with Scheck.

How about looking at the Spyderco Junction. It's steel is a version of D2. There also the Spyderco Bill Moran. This has VG-10 and it should do anything you want it to do.

I have the Hunter model in natural burlap micarta and S35VN. Been used to clean several Whitetail and Mule deer.

How does the blade length feel on the hunter? Looks like it .5" longer than the backpacker. Do you think the .5" would be noticeable difference? How does the edge hold up on their S35VN?

It's a pretty perfect length, but that .5" will probably go mostly unnoticed.

The steel is great, their heat treat seems on point. I've only given it a real sharpen once, the strip brings it back nicely. I'd recommend it on the steel alone.

Back