Chopper: M9 vs R9

Let's not forget this knife didn't come directly from the maker.

Good luck with that. It's the primary grind being off that makes an edge look off. Go look through all your knives and see how many are (perceivably) straight. Even my Chris Reeve knives have all had uneven grinds that I could see with the naked eye. Every knife has an uneven grind. Knives ground by hand are going to be the most noticeable. Most people have a dominant side (lefty or righty) and will have different grinds on either side of the blade because of that. What do you have to say about the Asymmetrical edges Busse used to intentionally put on their knives?

Again, this knife was purchased second hand. Can you really blame Swamp Rat without knowing for sure what amount of use this knife has had?

The M9 has not been in production for many years now. It seems a little crazy to be complaining about how sharp a knife is from the factory when they haven't made them in years. The grind isn't the issue at all as far as sharpness goes. You bought a used knife. Just go get your knife sharpened. End of story.
You just said exactly what I was thinking but couldn't express. I'd just sharpen it myself and beat the sucker like a rented mule. The edge is the least of my worries on any knife. IMO, if you can't put an edge on a knife you have no business owning one.
I mean, when it goes dull or rolls what then? Throw it away?
Edited to add - lol @ the cold steel duders laughing at an M9! Yokels...

Last edited:
What is the first thing I did? I wrote Swamp Rat to give them a chance to make it right.

I am not the first owner, but you can tell from the pics the seller took, and the pics I took, that I was the first user.

Of course the knife was made years ago, and maybe the QC guy doesn't work there anymore. The point a lot miss is that even if I am not the first owner, it's still factory edge. So as far as I am concerned, this is a manufacturing defect From my experience, asymmetrical edges are asymmetrical on all the length of the blade, not only part of it. Blade runner and I clearly have different point of view. To me, as long as a blade is unused, it doesn't matter how many owners it had.

When I make a mistake, I make it right. I was hoping that Swamp Rat would. Apparently I will have to take matters in my own hands. Sure it can be done, but I am not sure I will ever be able to appreciate the knife as much. You guys see that at least?

Knives can get dull from just sitting around for 5 or 6 years, heck sometimes people keep them in sheaths that make them quite dull just from pulling them out and looking at them. I wouldn't agonize over it; in the time it took to write the complaints a quality edge could have been added and enjoyed.

Wow. So now Swamp Rat didn't offer to "make things right"? They will sharpen it for free. It's not their fault you live in Canada. It's not their fault the shipping makes it prohibitive to take them up on their offer. You are being extremely unreasonable. What do you expect them to do? Pay for the shipping both ways on a knife that you bought used just because you say the last owner didn't use it? Did you want them to send you a brand new knife? Come on now.

You keep claiming that the knife was never used as if that's a 100% guaranteed fact. A knife can be used to cut up a bunch of cardboard and you wouldn't be able to tell. That would dull an edge pretty easily. You have no idea if the knife was used or not.

Go sharpen your second hand knife and get over it.

Wow. So now Swamp Rat didn't offer to "make things right"? They will sharpen it for free. It's not their fault you live in Canada. It's not their fault the shipping makes it prohibitive to take them up on their offer. You are being extremely unreasonable. What do you expect them to do? Pay for the shipping both ways on a knife that you bought used just because you say the last owner didn't use it? Did you want them to send you a brand new knife? Come on now.

You keep claiming that the knife was never used as if that's a 100% guaranteed fact. A knife can be used to cut up a bunch of cardboard and you wouldn't be able to tell. That would dull an edge pretty easily. You have no idea if the knife was used or not.

Go sharpen your second hand knife and get over it.

Thanks for your understanding and respectful attitude

Thanks for your understanding and respectful attitude
He may have been a bit brusque, but he's 100% right.
Swamp Rat offered to fix it for free. Send it in. If you don't, or can't, it's not their fault. At this point you're just bitching instead of taking action.

I'll tell you what if your that unhappy with it. Ill take it off your hands.

edit: Good luck resolving your issue, hopefully you get to a point where you can enjoy your sweet piece of SR101. :)

Last edited:
shaking head while slowly leaving the room.

This is not the place I found when the Swamp first opened.

Goodnight.

I understand your frustration over the sharpness issue, we all want a sharp knife no doubt at all. I think that we are getting a little too protective of the brand we love so much, hell I do as well, its OK, that does not mean they don't let one out the door that they should not have. The reality is that Swamp Rat will make the blade right but, because of the OPs circumstances (that I understand because it would be the same for me if I had a warranty issue) he is reluctant to send it back to them. At the same time we are not all knife sharpening gurus so to say that if you can't fix that yourself you should not own it is not fair either. The answer lays somewhere in between these points. I am an OK sharpener and know that I could get that edge fixed up to *MY* satisfaction easily enough, a couple of years ago that would not have been the case. I also struggle to accept the OPs position that the knife would be ruined for him forever because of this, I love my blades and have had a few that needed a fix to be where I wanted them, getting them there makes them that much more appreciated (to me). That said, that is me and not the OP, to each their own.

My questions, are there any professional or semiprofessional sharpeners in Canada ? Or in proximity to the OP ? We as a group need to accept that this *IS* an issue (the severity will all be a matter of perspective) and the OP also needs to help in a resolution, saying Busse are not helping (send it to them and they will fix it after all) is not getting it fixed either.

cybrok - what do you *want* to happen here ? That is a very genuine question mate, trying to help you with a solution.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Well, when I received Doc Martens boot that had a factory defect in them. The company got them back, got it fixed, and sent them back. That is what I was hoping for but it didn't happen.

I understand that I am not the first owner, and that the dull edge might be from previous owners (not from a sheath though, as there is none), but an uneven grind IS a factory mistake that I was hoping SR would take care of.

A few of you showed some support, some not so much, so I guess that would be my cue to leave, and probably never get another Busse kin. I will get back to companies I trust, and that have friendly forum members. I wish I had bought a RD9 when Justin still owned Ranger knives. I will probably get a Junglas, I am pretty sure that if I had the same problem with an ESEE, they would've made it right.

I will get that M9 shaving sharp, but you'll never see me recommend a Swamp Rat to anybody.

What are you talking about?!
SWAMP RAT OFFERED TO MAKE IT RIGHT. You do not want to pay for the shipping. How is the company "doing you wrong"?
In the case of your Docs - they "got the boots back, got it fixed, and sent them back". How is this ANY different at all? Swamp Rat won't pay shipping both ways?
If you had an issue with an ESEE, pretty sure you'd have to ship it to em to get it fixed...

That is still a 75$ difference. Or at least cover the costs of getting it fixed locally.
I'm sorry hoss, but that's just not the way stuff like this works. No matter what the product is, in most cases you have to ship it to the factory to get it fixed.
I'm sorry you're unhappy with the knife. I wish the fix was more manageable for you financially, I truly do. However it's not nice or productive at all to slander a company or "not recommend them" just because you don't feel like paying for shipping.
Have you checked how much it would be to ship the knife, or is that amount you quoted just a guess? You might want to get a solid quote. It might be cheaper than you think.
I can tell you with all certainty that if you get it to the swamp, you will be damn happy with it when you get it back.

Well, when I received Doc Martens boot that had a factory defect in them. The company got them back, got it fixed, and sent them back. That is what I was hoping for but it didn't happen.
So I'm assuming you bought the shoes used right? That's the only way it makes sense here. Also, you mention the company got them back. You didn't mention if you paid to ship them back. Either way Swamp Rat HAS offered to take care of you. So what exactly is the difference here with Doc Martens and Swamp Rat? Just that you haven't sent it back to give them a chance to fix it. It's like you just don't want the situation here to be resolved. You want them to fix it...they offer to fix it....then you get mad and say they aren't fixing it. You just HAVE to realize how crazy this sounds right?

I understand that I am not the first owner, and that the dull edge might be from previous owners (not from a sheath though, as there is none)
In no way does that mean it wasn't in a sheath. I have more than a few duplicates with only one sheath. I've also bought used knives then sold the knife without the sheath. Kept it for a different version of the same knife. Either way, it's good that you acknowledge that the dull edge might not be from the factory. That's a big step in the right direction.

but an uneven grind IS a factory mistake that I was hoping SR would take care of.

They will. Send it to them.

A few of you showed some support, some not so much, so I guess that would be my cue to leave, and probably never get another Busse kin. I will get back to companies I trust, and that have friendly forum members.

If you re-read this thread I think you will see that people here haven't been overly rude. I know you are talking about me mainly when saying some haven't shown support. The fact is that we disagree with your stance. That doesn't mean you aren't welcome here. The Busse family is a great one to be a part of. Best knives in the industry IMO. You would be cheating yourself out of some great knives if you take this one little hiccup as the standard of Busse knives.

I will get back to companies I trust, and that have friendly forum members. I wish I had bought a RD9 when Justin still owned Ranger knives. I will probably get a Junglas, I am pretty sure that if I had the same problem with an ESEE, they would've made it right.

I will get that M9 shaving sharp, but you'll never see me recommend a Swamp Rat to anybody.

Yeah ESEE would have taken care of you. You would still need to send it to them though. Isn't that what this whole issue boils down to? You don't want to pay for the shipping? ESEE wouldn't pay you to have someone else sharpen it as you suggest. No company would.

A few of you showed some support, some not so much, so I guess that would be my cue to leave, and probably never get another Busse kin. I will get back to companies I trust, and that have friendly forum members... I am pretty sure that if I had the same problem with an ESEE, they would've made it right. I will get that M9 shaving sharp, but you'll never see me recommend a Swamp Rat to anybody.
Wow, okay this says a lot to me. You want to bash a man's business because even though they offered to recondition your knife for free, they wouldn't pay international shipping on a 5 year old blade you bought second hand. Now it sounds like you're here just to stir up crap and provoke a response from the membership. At any rate, I wish you the best and hope you get it sorted out.

While I think in the end it sucks you are not happy with your knife I really do think what you are asking for is a bit over the top. I am a knife user and a fan of several different knife companies from ESEE to BHK to the Swamp and I can safely say I don't think any of them would do what you are expecting. In the end it really boils down to you bought something and didn't like what you got (take this as a lesson in buying things second hand). Its like buying a used car then complaining because the seat isn't soft enough. If the knife was used or not is really not relevant due to its age, I really do understand your frustration but I can say with 100% confidence if the knife in your hand was a R9 purchased directly from Swamp Rat that Josh would happily pay the shipping both ways to make it right.

I get that stickies are over rated yet I have no idea how this thread has not been locked or deleted yet:
If you have a problem with your Swamp Rat knife... here's what to do...

And in case a click of the mouse is too costly, let's bring the thread contents right to your feet to see how much of these simple instructions (helpful hint: bolded below) have been followed:

If You Have A Problem With Your Swamp Rat Knife. . . Here's What To Do. . .
Contact the shop FIRST. Give us the opportunity to look at the problem and to fix it. If we DO NOT fix the problem or are so drunk that we refuse to assist you, (This has NEVER happened) then you can bring it to the forums and feel free to vent.

Given the proper tools, it does not take much to destroy a great knife. Given the internet, it does not take much to destroy a great reputation.

We have NEVER left a customer unsatisfied, when given the opportunity.

If you post about a problem before giving us the opportunity to fix it, your post may be deleted or locked.

Email ratcustomerservice@toast.net or PM Hindsight.

Please allow at least 3 business days to respond to your email.

Thanks
Joshua

Back