Test ad

Chopweiler vs. Ratweiler

I am relatively new to the Swamp, been in with the Dogs and Hogs a bit, and recently got a couple Rats, a RS and a R9. I have been looking into another larger Rat. I have read the specs on both the Chopweiler and the Ratweiler and they are very very similar. Which do you guys like better and why? Do some have the differential heat treat and others through hardened? Do you really notice a performance difference between the two? Also, will I notice much of a performance difference between either of these and my R9? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer the handle of the Chopweiler over the ratweiler.
DSC02462.jpg

Béma

Gold Member
I started the exact same thread at the swamp a while back.
should be some pics in that thread. :)

Personally I haven´t had either, but I´m probably going to pick up a chopweiler at some point.

snwbrdr202

Gold Member
The blade profiles and ergonomics are the big differences between the two. Although the Chopweiler is more comfortable in the various grips, my vote goes for the Ratweiler! The handle is so unique, its hard not to like it (even if the ergos are a little uncomfortable when choking up on the blade). I have always loved a bowie profile too, and combined with a .25'' thick saber ground piece of differential SR-101, the Ratweiler is the quintessential survival knife IMHO! I am a lucky man to have one or two ;)

A comparison...

rwcomparison01.jpg

The original advertisement...

RWadd.jpg

I've owned both. I like everything about the Ratweiler more except the subhilt bump. I really like the spine bump and profile of the Ratweiler but handle comfort goes to the chopweiler.

My vote goes to the Choppy due to the drop point. I think most rats could live happy lives owning nothing but a Chopweiler.

If i could only keep one knife and one gun for the rest of my life it would be a Chopweiler without a doubt and a toss up between one of Rem 870's or my Rem.700 VSSF .22-250!