Chris Reeve Knives Logo and what not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've read some of the folks really don't care for the new Idaho Made engraving, but, for me, I've always liked the fact that CRK has kept the blade clear of any logos, as that is what you really see when in use, the handle is, well in your hand ;) the Classy, to me at least, CR logo tells the tale of who made the knife, the addition of having the Idaho Made kinda makes sense to me in a way, hey, they are PROUD of where they are, as most folks are pretty much attached to where they are from and make no bones of protecting it when others try to put it down in one way or another.

Now, when someone mentioned the state of Idaho, what sprang to mind? The Potato right? or Potatoe if you are in a Quail state of mind ;)
So, now when someone says Idaho, I think of Boise and CRK springs to mind, actually always had for me for a long time, but new folks are added to the cutlerly world of collecting every day, so this can be news to them.

And as I recall, on the fixed blades the ones from South Africa now fetch a bit more for the dollar just due to the engraved name on the blades. So years down the line, those without the Idaho Made might fetch more as well and if they decide to drop the engraving, then THOSE with the engraving will be more collectible.

Myself, I don't mind it at all, heck, I'm an American and while I've never been to that particular state...yet...it is part of the country I'm from, so having a discrete marking on the back side where the lock bar is, doesn't detract from the knife...

Just my .02cents but I've seen other knives with where they're made on the blades, which is a bit more distracting, but not overly so, but I'm more of a plain jane kinda guy and like things clean and simple.

One of my favourite shows was Monk, the Obsessive Compulsive Detective, which my wife says I'm becoming TOO much like...but I think that's a good thing! hehe, well somewhat good, at least I keep my car neat and my knives sharp !

Sorry to ramble on, but just a glimpse into how I think might help why I made such a post.

G2

I agree with everything you said and tried to make this same point in another thread. Basically, people dont care, they dont like the stamp.

Thanks, didn't see that other thread, saw one but I think it was locked so couldn't add to that.

One thing about engraving, YEARS from now, you'll still be able to make out what was there, unlike etching which doesn't last the sands of time.

Spyderco, which I also love too!, go as far as saying what planet it's from, now, that's agressive marketing ;)
G2

"I da' ho made" is the first thing that springs to my mind and I know that I am not the only one. I personally would much rather have the CR logo on the blade. Others may disagree. I have 15 CR knives and only one with the IM stamp. The one with the IM stamp would be the first I sell.

I like the fact Chris keeps the blade clean too. I think it looks trashy when logos and slogans start getting plastered all over a knife.

I'd prefer no writing on the blade and no Idaho Made stamp on the knife, or at least change the Idaho Made to USA Made. However, I'm really after the product itself, regardless of the stamping. Truth is, CR could stamp the knife Leroy Made and I'd still buy it. I'm paying for the design & craftsmanship and those are the only 2 criteria that my wallet recognizes, everything else is subjective and irrelevant.

Maybe CR gets an incentive from the Idaho Department of Commerce for incorporating Idaho Made in his products. If that's the case, then good for him, he's in business to make money. Maybe CR just loves his State, in which case, good for him. His business, his rules, whatever the motivation.

I'm just glad he's not making them in Apalachicola Bay.:p

And yes, I'd still buy it if it said Apalachicola Bay Made, or;
66c94512.jpg

"I da' ho made" is the first thing that springs to my mind and I know that I am not the only one. I personally would much rather have the CR logo on the blade. Others may disagree. I have 15 CR knives and only one with the IM stamp. The one with the IM stamp would be the first I sell.

What lol. You cannot be serious.

I think the stamp was a bad idea. I dont think that i have seen anyone say they like it or prefer it. It takes away from the greatest characteristic of the sebenza: The pure simplicity of it.

At first it bothered me but after buying a bunch, it became a non issue. Love does make you blind or is it that it makes you adapt. I even bought a couple of classic sebenza's and Love every single one of them but your right Thank God the blade is clean.

I don't prefer it, but by no means does it bother me. Honestly of the ones I have with it and the ones I have without ...I don't notice.

As long as CRK keeps pumping out excellent knives I don't really care what they engrave on the lockbar side.

I don't prefer it, but by no means does it bother me. Honestly of the ones I have with it and the ones I have without ...I don't notice.

As long as CRK keeps pumping out excellent knives I don't really care what they engrave on the lockbar side.

+1:thumbup:

I prefer the non engraved knives, but it's not going to stop me from acquiring new models that are engraved. I'm hoping to get a CF Sebenza and the fact that it has the CF scale is way more important to me then whether it's engraved or not. Still, no engraving would be better. To me it dates the knife in a kind of negative way. The design, especially on the Sebenza, is so pure and timeless, it could almost come from any point in history, from any culture that has or had a reverence for fine steel and knives. The lack of markings reinforces that. The "Idaho Made" engraving, to me at least says, we live in a culture that gets most of its industrial design from China and some of us are embarrassed about that so we going to proudly proclaim that it's not made in China, and we're not going to do it in a traditional (i.e. made in USA) way, but in a slightly pretentious 2012 kind of way. Anyway, I'm rambling on, it's no big deal, but I'm glad I have a CRK or two without the engraving. Way cooler.

The scales are so clean, simple and classy, that anything stamped on them really stands out and to my eye ruins the look of them.

The logo is passable on the scale since it is small, and well placed.

So for me it isn't the fact that it says Idaho Made.
I equally dislike the way at one stage they said "Classic" on the side.

I'd prefer everything to be on the blade where it is hidden when the knife is closed.

Even better if everything was on the blade tang or somewhere hidden even with the blade open.

Then again, I hate advertising anything unless I'm being paid for it.
So generally I remove the logos and badges on most things I own, unless they are really well designed.

I like(d) the whole super clean design and finish that one got with a CRK folder. I am very much a fan of the Regular over the Classic/21/25 and we can be thankful those will always be clean and unmarked. :D:thumbup:

The poll in the link below says it all:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/784473-Idaho-Made-Poll-(Proper)?highlight=idaho

80% of the nearly 700 votes DISLIKED the "Idaho Made" stamp.

Yes, there are folks out there who dislike the stamp yet still continue to buy knives from CRK, but I'm perfectly content with the dozen or so knives I have without the stamp and won't be purchasing any with it.

I don't think there is anyone here that is actually enthusiastic about the IM stamp and would admit that CRK's knives look better with it than without.

Last edited:
Ah, that's the thread I saw when I did my search and found it closed, don't want to continue that poll really but I think as some suggested they should have had an I don't care, which the one vote is almost that way that they would still buy the knife, but are not fond of it.

And yep, there are lots of things in life we rather would be different and those we can change, we can change, those we can't I guess we change by avoiding them.

I'd have added to that thread but as I say it was locked, but wasn't looking to make this a continuation that, but I thank you for adding the link so others can find that one and give it a read down as well, although I'll admit I didn't read all the posts in that thread...

And for some reason the photos of those not liking it make it appear very pronounced, while on my large micarta Insingo, it kinda blends in and isn't as noticable?

One other thing, I'm sure Chris and crew have a good reason for doing this, as ANY thing extra that is done to the knife is EXTRA and any company doesn't go out of it's way to put more cost into their product, unless they have a very good reason for doing so. I've always thought of Chris to be similar to his knives, no nonsense kinda man and would expect nothing less.

there I go again, rambling on! :)
G2

Click here to get a BladeForums Limited Kershaw Skyline - S30V & Blue G10

Only $90 to help support the forums!

Last edited:
And for some reason the photos of those not liking it make it appear very pronounced, while on my large micarta Insingo, it kinda blends in and isn't as noticable?
Ah, that's it ~ Eureka! That's why it doesn't bother me as much, because with my aging eyes, I can't really see it that well. However, a camera's macro lens makes it look like a billboard.

Now, if it were anodized and clearly stood out, then it would be a much harder pill to swallow, but I'd probably still choke it down. Change it to USA Made, anodize it blue or red and I'd probably buy some others CRK's that have yet to call my name.:D

The Idaho Made stamp is poorly conceived in every respect. It's ugly, badly placed and means absolutely nothing to anybody that is not from Idaho.

I am very happy with my collection of non Idaho stamped knives and my wallet is very happy because I simply stopped buying CRK stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back